DEMONS! How to keep them interesting...

Jkeown

I have an idea. Rather than write up a bunch of (eventually) predictable demons for my campaign, I think I'll make a few "Demon Frames"

Brute High STR & CON

Mage High INT & EGO

Lithe High DEX & SPD

Schemer High INT & PRE

Seducer High PRE & COM

There are certainly others...

Then... Add special powers and attacks on a table

Shapeshifting

Hellfire Aura

Aura of Fear

Aura of Unholiness

Aura of Vileness

Claws (3 types)

Horns (3 types)

......You get the idea. Then you just add special powers to frames based on "Function within the Story" type templates and boom! Demon.

And then some fun disads and some guideline for balancing them.

I think it will be a useful bit of work... thoughts?

Re: DEMONS! How to keep them interesting...

I'd love to see something like this. I love randomized tables and such and this would be particularly useful for my Sorcerer-Priests in Kamarathin. This would even cooler if you could set it up in such a way that each result on a particular table are worth x-points, like this:

Any result on Table A is worth 50pts

Any result on Table B is worth 25pts

etc.

Then to randomly determine a 200pt Summon you just roll an appropriate amount of times on the table and voila!

This, BTW, is on my to-do list for the Kamarathin Handbook, but I planned on having more than just demons. I plan to include all sorts of various spirit type folks in the final version.

Actually, there's something very much like this in the HERO System Bestiary for the entry on Demons. The entry for "Lesser Demon" on pp. 54-56 includes several power templates to add to the basic Lesser Demon writeup, for Fire Demons, Foulness Demons, Frost Demons, Guile Demons, Power Demons, Quickness Demons, Strength Demons, and Torment Demons. You could also add the creature templates on pp. 21-30 to the Lesser or any of the other Demon writeups. Conversely, you could add the Demon Powers templates to any of the animal and other creature listings in the Bestiary. Pp. 215-25 has several examples of creatures customized this way, such as the Aquatic Guardian Ape, Divine Griffin, and Infernal Tyrannosaurus Rex. ;)

That's a coincidence. I've just introduced my PCs to demons for the first time last session. I used the lesser demon variants from the book.

A new character that one of the PCs wants to use has the background of being hunted by demons - hence I used them to introduce the character to the other PCs.

Now I'm going to use the ShadowWorld module "Demons of the Burning Night" as well for the origins of these demons.

In that module they introduce a specific realm for these demons (the demons that the islanders in the module use) called the Black Hel. There are two classes of demons - The Seven Wards, which are generally task specific lesser demons, and often used to possess weapons (or people) and The Invokers, which are greater demons that are more independant with individuality and personality.

The Seven Wards consist of-

The Preventors (door and other wards), The Riddlers (knowledge), The Flete (transport), The Protectors (armour/defensive), The Slayers (weapons/assassins), The Fulfillers (genies and succubi/incubi) and the Fateless (soul stealers and body possessors)

I'm going to use this concept for the Western Shores - at least for the island that used these demons, and make up some appropriate symbols and things for each of the seven wards.

Actually' date=' there's something very much like this in the [i']HERO System Bestiary[/i] for the entry on Demons. The entry for "Lesser Demon" on pp. 54-56 includes several power templates to add to the basic Lesser Demon writeup, for Fire Demons, Foulness Demons, Frost Demons, Guile Demons, Power Demons, Quickness Demons, Strength Demons, and Torment Demons. You could also add the creature templates on pp. 21-30 to the Lesser or any of the other Demon writeups. Conversely, you could add the Demon Powers templates to any of the animal and other creature listings in the Bestiary. Pp. 215-25 has several examples of creatures customized this way, such as the Aquatic Guardian Ape, Divine Griffin, and Infernal Tyrannosaurus Rex. ;)

Not to mention the various flavors of demons in Valdorian Age...

I think so...lemme see...

Okay the random table is a 1d10 job...not too impressive.

It does have a lot of different demon types that may be of use though...

Demons of Combat (Demon Weapons, Demon Fighters)

Demons of Protection (Demon Armor, Guardians, Spirit Wards)

Demons of Knowledge

Demons of Travel (Gateway Openers, Transporters, Teleporters)

Worth looking at...