Feints

Dust Raven

How do you guys handle feints? I know there are rules for performing feints in the UMA and other places, but what I'm wondering is how well these actually work, and what other methods/house rules you all use or have used. What seems to really work and what doesn't? I'm looking for options from using Feint as a combat maneuver, as a Skill use to actually paying points for the privilage of performing highly effective feints. What's good?

Re: Feints

How do you guys handle feints?

Position the victim on their back. Check that the airway is clear, check for breathing and circulation; use artificial respiration or CPR if necessary. If the person is breathing, raise the legs to increase blood flow to the brain, and loosen belts, ties, and other restrictive garments. Remember that they may have sustained injuries in the initial fall, check for those. If consciousness is not recovered in a minute or so, or if breathing seems abnormal, call 911 or otherwise seek immediate emergency assistance.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says, you know Lucius, for someone who was an English major you sure make a fool of yourself sometimes....

CSLs are great, and its even simpler to just say a feint is part of an ordinary attack process. What I'm look for are options.

I'm definately looking to pick up TUSk, the use of Sleight of Hand seems appropriate.

Anyone use any methods involving a Combat Maneuver, or have created a Feint maneuver of any kind?

Feints are only really necessary in a certain sort of game - restricted DEX and combat skill made up by levels - i.e. a 'normal' game. Moreover, they are only really necessary against an opponent fighting sensibly i.e. favouring defence over offence in a really dangerous situation.

Hero has equal opponents hitting 62.5% of the time, which is great for game flow but not really that realistic for 'real' fighting, and this makes feinting a reduntant, or at least reduced utility manouvre.

Moreover there are two sorts of feint (at least) - offensive, where you feint an attack to get the opponent to commit to a defence, or defensive wehre you leave an opening for the opponent to exploit, and catch them off guard that way. Hero does not really do narrative combat but I would think that a feint, mechanically, is simply increasing your OCV/decreasing the opponents DCV for an offensive feint, or, mechanically at least, something very much like a block for a defensive one.

Now one question you need to ask - is the combaty disadvantage you put your oppoennt at with the feint something only you can exploit, or something anyone can exploit? If the latter, how about negative CSLs? If the former, I'd go for limited 5 point CSLs.

Alternatively you can do it all with the Analyse skill, or just use an appropriate skill (slieght/acting) and a surprise bonus.

I roll play them. A sleight of hand' date=' acting, or relevant martial arts skill roll in conjunction with a good description can net you a CV bonus.[/quote']

Ditto. It is just a form of "Surprise Manuever".

That said, I have had characters who were supposed to be particularly good at feints, and had extra levels or Damage Classes to represent that, usually highly skilled normals trying to compete on a superpowered level.

Drained and blue

I bleed for you

You think its funny

But you're drowning in it too.

- Alice in Chains