Making the Police Officer package deal more realistic

Gadodel

Things I would add:

Analyze Location: This would enable the officer to realize when something is not right in an area. Example: a light is out near a business that the officer routinely patrols by.

Some Knowledge Skills:

KS: Body Language

KS: Crowd Control

KS: Use of Force Laws and Principles

Some other stuff:

Perk-Contact: Confidential Informants

Perk-Contact: Friends in the Media

Set the cost to fit your campaign.

Re: Making the Police Officer package deal more realistic

Things I would add:

Analyze Location: This would enable the officer to realize when something is not right in an area. Example: a light is out near a business that the officer routinely patrols by.

Wouldn't this just be a straight PER role?

Some Knowledge Skills:

PER role again?

KS: Crowd Control

KS: Use of Force Laws and Principles

I'd say these are rolled into PS: Police Officer, these knowledges are kind of implied in the PS.

Some other stuff:

I'd say these are dependant on the Officer's area of work, more than just being a cop. I know beat cops that'd never have any contact with the media, and their "informants" are generally more of an ambient community vibe ("So and so said that they said they saw someone doing something over on 15th Street" "Thank you, Mrs. Smith, I'll check it out." etc...) more than a specific named informant.

TB

Attention to detail versus simply noticing something.

I am talking to you, I look down and to the left. You notice this, but do you know what it means?

They are implied, but even after the Academy and Field Training; an Officer has to become more of an expert in the area of Use of Force.

Contacts are fun...

Most of these could be covered with PS:Police officer, if not directly then as a Complementary Roll on Perception. Of course, that is simply my opinion. YMMV. ;)

They are implied, but even after the Academy and Field Training; an Officer has to become more of an expert in the area of Use of Force.

Well, you can buy up the PS skill to show that you are becoming more proficient. There a certain point where granularity gets a bit ridiculous. I'm not saying that your proposals have crossed that point, though some might think so.

Contacts are fun...

Yes they are. :D But the title to the thread is "Making the Police Officer package deal more realistic", so the question would be: "is it realistic?" ;)

Well, you can buy up the PS skill to show that you are becoming more proficient. There a certain point where granularity gets a bit ridiculous. I'm not saying that your proposals have crossed that point, though some might think so.

Hmmm...I see your point.

I am talking to you, I look down and to the left. You notice this, but do you know what it means?

Assuming you're normally organized, you're probably "searching your feelings" to quote Darth Vader. Otherwise, you're talking to yourself.

Frankly, noticing that a light that should be on is out would either be an Area Knowledge skill roll or (more likely) a straight perception roll to see if you notice a change in your environment. I don't an extra added skill is needed.

I agree I would include most of these as part of PS: Police.

I've seen this used, typically as a complimentary skill to Conversation. But I think it's generally simpler to just spend the same points on SL's with Conversation and treat body language as part of the sfx.

Very appropriate for some officers, but not something all of them have as a default I would say.

OTOH, a cop friend of mine once attempted to stat out all the equipment he carried -- not including stuff in the car, just what he routinely had on his person. Gun, vest, baton, cuffs, radio, pepper spray, pocket knife, tape recorder, flashlight... I think he said it added up to nearly 100 points. Assuming ~100 points worth of characteristics, skills, etc, you're almost a low-powered superhero. :)

AK: best strip clubs

AK: 24 hour bakerys

KS: Dirty jokes

Hmmm anything else?

:rofl: If I hadn't already used up my rep allotment for the day, I'd rep this.

AK: Location of all Tim Hortons in area rather then the 24 bakerys for Canadian Cops.

Bribe skill: Asking only limitation.

Planting evidence skill.

:rofl: This one too.

Enter the Bobbies: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only For Making Presence Attacks (-1)' date=' Only When Saying "Oy, What's All This, Then?" (-1/4). Total Cost: 9 Points.[/quote']

Plus Bobbies can use ..."Excessive politeness" +X intimidation rolls.......

That depends on you, actually. I can assume that it means the same thing for you that it means to a lot of other people, but I'm only deluding myself if I actually count on that, much less use it to override knowledge from any more valid source.

As a counter-example, my eyes go up and right when I'm talking to you. What does that mean?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...