"What an Adorable -- Say, what IS he eating?"

Fiction is filled to the brim which things that are cute in the eyes of all observers, but really SHOULDN'T be. These fall into two classes that I can think of (though no doubt there are others):

1. Creatures who belong to a species that is normally feriousous and fearsome, but have somehow changed in their fundamental natures. A good example would be the protagonist of Roald Dahl's The B.F.G., a giant who has turned against the pedo-cannibalistic nature of his kind. A less good example would be The Purple One Who Shall Remain Nameless Here.

2. Creatures who are viewed as cute and harmless by the general public, but really are as vicious as they ought to be. A real-world example would be the grizzly bear held prisoner at the local zoo: he's confined and people think hye's adroable and playful, but leaving the door of his cage open is not a good idea. Wild animals will usually only react negatively to humans who go out of their way to annoy them and give them no opportunity to flee, but a really intelligent critter might use his apparent cuteness yo advantage when actually seeking out human prey.

I just thought of a third class: creatures who are cute and thought of to be harmless with reason, but are actually anything but. The faeries from Hackmaster and the Meeps from the Doctor Who comic are both examples of this.

Re: "What an Adorable -- Say, what IS he eating?"

You've obviously never been married' date=' or you'd realize the soul-sucking is mutual. ;)[/quote']

I was thinking of the old commercials for Special Unit 2, which I saw again recently while watching old tapes. There was some dwarf-like character saying "Yeah, but do you know how hard it is to get a woman who can do that these days?" in response to a soul-sucking monster.

And cats. Plain' date=' ordinary housecats. They fall into this category of cute but vicious. And they know it! They use it against you! They're evil and will suck out your soul while you're sleeping! Aahhhhh![/quote']

So true. They look cute and purr nicely but, if you've seen them playing with mice or birds you'll see thier true character coming out. I like cats, but they're evil buggers. Also dogs... especially Alsatians, hah! Wolves biding thier time, that's all they are!

You might want to add the cute but can be used to make nasty things. Like Gremlins from the movies or those Dorfbats, from Godzilla 2000 I think it was, that melded together to form yet another King Ghidorah.

What about Ewoks, those buggers are evil, nasty and too cute to be allowed to exist.

And rabbits, only good thing a rabbit is for is food.

And squirels........them things are just too cute.....kill them all.

And Tribbles, I have to agree with Klingons......it is a great honor to go to war vs the greatest scourge to the Star Trek universe.

What about Ewoks' date=' those buggers are evil, nasty and too cute to be allowed to exist.[/quote']

A filk song written soon after the release of Episode VI quite accurately described the Ewoks as "furry, short barbarians" not to be crossed. Making them appear somewhat less "cute" would probably have helped make them more respectable, albeit it would have sold fewer action figures (One of the major problems with Episode VI is that there were numerous odd aliens in the movie who had no compelling story reason to be aliens, but made neat toys. The Mon Calamari could have been human, mechanical, sentient chili, or just about anything and it would not have changed their story function one little bit. Nor would Jabba the Hut's T'wilek functionary being human have altered his role or the story one bit.)