CHAR: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Enforcer84

Re: CHAR: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

My Achilles' Courage could use some work...

I believe Achilles is now the official source of his seeming invulnerability, so you could move some of his defensive powers to here.

Or maybe add +PRE, +EGO and Mental Defense to the Courage aspect. The Marvels are supposed to be somewhat resistant to mental powers as part of their general magical defenses.

Thanks Bloodstone!

I'm looking at my nascent Black Adam writeup and unless the Egyptian Gods are total wankers...there's really no reason Billy should stand much of a chance against him. Particularly when I consider his tussle with the JSA/JLA and whomever...though that might have been during his power-up with the powers of Isis.

Adam is a skilled warrior in his own right...the comic vine page gives me some good insight into powers that separate him from the Marvels...will get those in there, but I don't really want him to overshadow Captain Marvel. In fact, Marvel is my preferred mightiest. I used to buckle to DC editorial pressure and make him slightly less Super than Clark but I've changed my mind in recent years.

ironically, I hate that. :) (not the shape shifting, the power-share)

Edit: (out of the shower now, TMI, I know)

That's a power complication that always gets ignored when it's convenient, they ignored it in Kingdom Come (or....alternately, they killed Mary, Freddie, and their son off panel before the big Superman/Captain Marvel fight). It doesn't seem to affect Black Adam in any way...by the way did he lose power when Osiris was using his?

I beleive he did loose some when sharing with Mary and Osiris, however as we all know the power level seems to flux at will

Guest steamteck

According to Superman' date=' Black Adam is stronger. Or at least Adam hits harder...[/quote']

May just be more skill at throwing a punch though,

May just be more skill at throwing a punch though' date='[/quote']

Yep, that's quite possible. Plus Black Adam wouldn't hold back at all.

Though just about everyone seems to struggle when Black Adam's really angry, so he might have a little extra STR while enraged or something.

Guest steamteck

Thanks Bloodstone!

I'm looking at my nascent Black Adam writeup and unless the Egyptian Gods are total wankers...there's really no reason Billy should stand much of a chance against him. Particularly when I consider his tussle with the JSA/JLA and whomever...though that might have been during his power-up with the powers of Isis.

Adam is a skilled warrior in his own right...the comic vine page gives me some good insight into powers that separate him from the Marvels...will get those in there, but I don't really want him to overshadow Captain Marvel. In fact, Marvel is my preferred mightiest. I used to buckle to DC editorial pressure and make him slightly less Super than Clark but I've changed my mind in recent years.

I've always figured Superman was a better fighter even if Captain Marvel is a little more powerful. He should be lots more powerful if he REALLY had the power of Zeus but that's a different story. I always also figured with his centuries of combat experience Black Adam would have an advantage on them both

but that's not how any of the writers seem to feel. It's just power.

I've always figured Superman was a better fighter even if Captain Marvel is a little more powerful. He should be lots more powerful if he REALLY had the power of Zeus but that's a different story. I always also figured with his centuries of combat experience Black Adam would have an advantage on them both

This would be my take as well.

ironically, I hate that. :) (not the shape shifting, the power-share)

That's a power complication that always gets ignored when it's convenient, they ignored it in Kingdom Come (or....alternately, they killed Mary, Freddie, and their son off panel before the big Superman/Captain Marvel fight). It doesn't seem to affect Black Adam in any way...by the way did he lose power when Osiris was using his?

I actually felt that it was the fact that Marvel WAS power-sharing that allowed Superman to go toe-to-toe with Billy for so long in Kingdom Come. The power-sharing makes sense to me. Marvel freely shares a portion of his power with the two (one originally out of guilt) and it has always been thus. New sources of Mary's and Freddy's power make me want to explore the capabilities of an always-full-power Captain Marvel. :)

This would be my take as well.

I do have to ask, what centuries of fighting experience?

In the 2 origins I read for Black Adam he was a) trapped in a scarab or B) Flying back to earth from 5000 years away.

Oh wait, he served as Champion for centuries. Ok but what was he facing off against?

I actually felt that it was the fact that Marvel WAS power-sharing that allowed Superman to go toe-to-toe with Billy for so long in Kingdom Come. The power-sharing makes sense to me. Marvel freely shares a portion of his power with the two (one originally out of guilt) and it has always been thus. New sources of Mary's and Freddy's power make me want to explore the capabilities of an always-full-power Captain Marvel. :)

It always seemed he was asking for more power when he tangled with Supes. (At least in modern appearances - editorial fiat and all)

Guest steamteck

I do have to ask, what centuries of fighting experience?

In the 2 origins I read for Black Adam he was a) trapped in a scarab or B) Flying back to earth from 5000 years away.

Oh wait, he served as Champion for centuries. Ok but what was he facing off against?

All sorts of mythological terrors one would assume. I really doubt he was the only superbeing around back then. I always figured he had enough power to do the job but not overwhelmingly. His tenure may have well looked like marvel Thor's adventures.

All sorts of mythological terrors one would assume. I really doubt he was the only superbeing around back then.

Well, we know for sure he wasn't the only super back then just based on the caliber of foes the JLA faced during the Obsidian Age story arc.

But I'm pretty sure it's pure fan speculation that he ever fought anyone of that level prior to when the Wizard killed/imprisoned him.

Well off the top of my head there was Immortal Man, Nabu, Vandal Savage, maybe some of the various incarnations of Hawkman/girl could of encountered him.

I don't know though, most of those characters wouldn't have been engaging him in actual physical combat, would they? Certainly not for very long in the case of Savage and the Hawks, in any event. (Whereas a Black Adam vs. Nabu fight probably goes about the same as a Teth-Adam vs. Nabu fight...)