Harry Potter HERO

Mutant for Hire

Thought I'd dig this out of the old forum:

Pool Advantages:

Power can be changed as a zero phase action (+1)

No skill roll required (+1)

Pool Disadvantages:

Limited Class of Powers (variable: -1 to 0)

Disadvantages for powers inside of the Pool:

Concentration 1/2 DCV, must maintain concentration for Constant powers (-1/2)

Gestures, must maintain for Constant powers (-1/2)

Incantation, must maintain for Constant powers (-1/2)

Limited Power: Power only works with eye contact (-1/4)

Required Skill Roll: Background Skill, -1 per 5 active points, subject to contests (-1)

No Conscious Control (-2)

No Conscious Control bought off with OAF (wand or potion) (-1)

The Limited Class of powers is -1 for first year students and drops to 0 as you go to the more powerful wizards like Dumbledore and Voldemort at the top end.

Note that most of the spells demonstrated in the books are not constant powers and the few times they do show up, they tend to pin the characters down. Technically, one might weaken that limit as there are powers that go on for a set duration without requiring special maintenance. I was thinking mainly of the first book when there's the hex attack on Harry's broomstick and the wizards muttering the hex and the countercharm were both going steadily at it for the duration of the attack.

I took the more brutal form of required skill roll because it is quite clear that the more powerful the spell is, the harder it is to cast and the first year students are really incapable of all but the weakest spells. It requires serious skill to do well. I also added the fact that wizard powers in opposition are skill contests.

If you really wanted to get nitpicky and simulate the books, each spell is really represented by a separate skill, and you take the Limited Class of Powers off. Of course I'd then probably boost the value of the Required Skill Roll limitation to reflect the fact that each power in the VPP has its own skill. Then characters spend a lot of points in Familiarities and then go for Skill Levels to boost their rolls across categories or all skills.

The main issue to be debated is whether things like charms and transformations would be considered separate powers, or whether there would be Magic Skills much like there are Science Skills. That is the main thing I haven't worked out yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't improve Familiarity skill rolls with Skill Levels. You must have the skill at the minimum level at least before you can start applying skill levels to it.

You might want to glance at Fantasy Hero's Magic section for some inspiration; some of the variations suggested in there seem "Harry Potteresque" to me.

I was going to do a Harry Potter based Hero game. But I was going to run it a little differently than in the books.

In my game Harry would be all grown up and coming back to teach at his old school. He'd be given a special challenge--he'd have to teach a group of backward students.

These students are magicians who keep on screwing up everything they try. People would call Harry's group the "sweat-hogwarts." And I'll title my game "Welcome Back Potter."

Originally posted by Warp9

I was going to do a Harry Potter based Hero game. But I was going to run it a little differently than in the books.

In my game Harry would be all grown up and coming back to teach at his old school. He'd be given a special challenge--he'd have to teach a group of backward students.

These students are magicians who keep on screwing up everything they try. People would call Harry's group the "sweat-hogwarts." And I'll title my game "Welcome Back Potter."

Heyyyy wasn't that on Saturday Night Live? :D

Some of those spells seem pretty easy to learn. I think there were a couple times when they just overheard the words used for a spell then they could use it whenever they wanted flawlessly.

Originally posted by AlHazred

You can't improve Familiarity skill rolls with Skill Levels. You must have the skill at the minimum level at least before you can start applying skill levels to it.

If each spell is a KS, then you buy Scholar, you end up with 11- for 1 point. Then you can add Skill Levels.:)

OTOH, I do wish there were more gradiation in skill levels. It's the only thing I really miss from GURPS. Heck, if I could import the skill system from JAGS into HERO, and have it work halfway decently, I'd be a happy little kitten.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading the books recently and was thinking that it would be an interesting scenario to run, a little less dark then most of the modern occult games (like CoC or Unknown Armies). The main problem I was having was how to do the magic system, but hopefully Fantasy Hero (or the Grimorie) may help some. It seems that with study some spells can be learned quickly. In the forth book it took Harry a while to perfect the call spell (Accio), while in the fifth book he was able to cast Crucio (though poorly) on probably his first try (though he had it done to him).

It should be built so that some wizards or witches, such as Hermione have a high degree of skill and knowledge of spells, while Harry has a decent grasp of spells, but is excellent in flying. There is much that can be done outside of the books and certain aspects of the books can add a lot of flavor, knowledge of current Quidditch standings can help with social rolls in bars and other casual situations.

Some changes from the written world would probably include increased interaction with the muggles. While the two cultures wouldn't entirely overlap I find it hard to believe that wizards born in wizard houses can't turn on a light switch. Magic would still be very secret though and hiding powers would be of utmost importance. However it wouldn't have the paradox effect of M:tA, but more of hierarchal issue.

I'm not sitting in front of a book, so some of my terms are probably off, but this is something I've played around with a little. I'd break the various classes (prot. against dark arts, potions, etc...) into seperate skills. Then have the the spells be powers with the skill as the success roll. Maybe a power framework or something would be better, but I'm not super familiar with all the Hero rules yet. Harry seems to be particularly good with attack spells and flying while Hermione has a good overall skillset. I assume it was easier for Harry to do Crucio in the last book because he'd had so much practice with attack spells in the previous book. I don't know if Crucio being difficult gives a penalty on spell success checks or needs its own check....

My main problem is that I am not familar enough with Hero to be able to build this structure. Guess its time to hit the Hero books and try to get familar. Still will take some thought on how to build it as well. I like your idea of each 'class' having its own skill, so that one can be familar with Defense Against the Dark Arts, but be less skilled with another area. This fits in with the frame work of their classes and the OWLs presented in the latest book.

Originally posted by Greg

I'm not sitting in front of a book, so some of my terms are probably off, but this is something I've played around with a little. I'd break the various classes (prot. against dark arts, potions, etc...) into seperate skills. Then have the the spells be powers with the skill as the success roll. Maybe a power framework or something would be better, but I'm not super familiar with all the Hero rules yet. Harry seems to be particularly good with attack spells and flying while Hermione has a good overall skillset. I assume it was easier for Harry to do Crucio in the last book because he'd had so much practice with attack spells in the previous book. I don't know if Crucio being difficult gives a penalty on spell success checks or needs its own check....

It wasn't difficulty that kept Harry from being able to do Crucio well, it was psych lims and such. To put it simply, Harry is a nice person and thus couldn't dredge up the sort of negative feelings required to cast Crucio with 100% effectiveness. Recall when the Death Eater he cast it on told him: "Righteous indignation won't hurt me for long." The impression I got is that only really sick bastards can get the full effect of the Crucio spell, which is why it's an unforgiveable curse.

Originally posted by BlackSword

I have been reading the books recently and was thinking that it would be an interesting scenario to run, a little less dark then most of the modern occult games (like CoC or Unknown Armies). The main problem I was having was how to do the magic system, but hopefully Fantasy Hero (or the Grimorie) may help some. It seems that with study some spells can be learned quickly. In the forth book it took Harry a while to perfect the call spell (Accio), while in the fifth book he was able to cast Crucio (though poorly) on probably his first try (though he had it done to him).

It should be built so that some wizards or witches, such as Hermione have a high degree of skill and knowledge of spells, while Harry has a decent grasp of spells, but is excellent in flying. There is much that can be done outside of the books and certain aspects of the books can add a lot of flavor, knowledge of current Quidditch standings can help with social rolls in bars and other casual situations.

Some changes from the written world would probably include increased interaction with the muggles. While the two cultures wouldn't entirely overlap I find it hard to believe that wizards born in wizard houses can't turn on a light switch. Magic would still be very secret though and hiding powers would be of utmost importance. However it wouldn't have the paradox effect of M:tA, but more of hierarchal issue.

Well, it's possible that the separation between the wizarding community and muggles is a cultural phenomenon in Europe or England. Maybe most American or Japanese wizards are more technologically savvy, and diguise their wands as part of a cell phone. The series doesn't really provide an international perspective.

Originally posted by Victim

Well, it's possible that the separation between the wizarding community and muggles is a cultural phenomenon in Europe or England. Maybe most American or Japanese wizards are more technologically savvy, and diguise their wands as part of a cell phone. The series doesn't really provide an international perspective.

Well I imagine that most British Commonwealth countries would handle the whole wizard/muggle thing the way Britain does and the fourth book suggested that most of Europe handled it the same way. I can imagine that the US would handle it much differently. I don't imagine US wizards would be open about what they do, but I'd imagine there's likely less stigma attached to being less then pure blooded as well.

Also, I imagine that in the US and Canada [possibly Canada more so then the US] there could be a schism between the government regulated position on wizardry [wherein muggles and wizards are kept far apart] and the various Native cultures who are more likely to be open to magic and not hide it. Wether or not that schism is a violent one or not, is something I leave to the GM.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

And there would be a school in Salem Mass. There has to be!

BTW was only vaguely surprised. Really enjoyed the book despite Harry's *ahem* attitude.

Once again the stage is set for coolness in book six. I cannot wait, hopefully it won't be two years this time....

I found Harry's attitude distressing but understandable given the circumstances. Nobody likes being kept out of the loop after all and I imagine living with the Dursleys only made things worse. I'm sure if Harry hadn't been required to put up with Professor Umbridge all year [a character who manages to be more annoying then Professor Quirrel, Professor Lockhart and Rita Skeeter COMBINED] then he'd probably had gotten rid of the tude sooner.

And yes, there would be a school in Salem. :D

In my head, I've been kickin around a campaign world that takes into consideration a magical community.

the US's answer to the Ministry of Magic is Bureau 13. There are 3 schools in the Americas; One in Salem, Mass. , one in the Andes (their in south america right? I am having that not so smart feeling) and one in British Columbia.

The US has a relatively poor Quiddich(sp) team, good defense but never much of a scoring threat, and when Lord Voldemort was defeated the last time the American arm of his Death Eaters fell under the sway of its senior member Rodrick Stone.

i could never use Bureau 13 for the American side of the story...look at the wizards in those stories...they are all fruitier than nutcakes.

Seriously...I'd rather have Bureau 13 exist off in the sidelines, they just don't seem mainstream compatible to a Potter universe...what with all the B-Grade science fiction monsters wielding eldritch forces and dimension hopping.

Though that milepost near Bangor, Maine is certainly a realtive of Harry's train platform. Hmmm.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Enforcer84

And there would be a school in Salem Mass. There has to be!

BTW was only vaguely surprised. Really enjoyed the book despite Harry's *ahem* attitude.

Once again the stage is set for coolness in book six. I cannot wait, hopefully it won't be two years this time....

Of course there has to be... Well, 'The Salem Witches Institute' got mentioned in book 4 anyway. Close enough? :D

• 9 months later...

Re: Harry Potter HERO

Some ruminations I posted to the Hogwarts game at HeroCentral:

For point costs, I would suggest you treat magic like equipment. That is, anyone has access to them without spending points. The trick is that they all require skill rolls. Thus, someone could have:

Expelliarmus, 11-

Wingardium Levioso, 12-

Mobilicorpus, 8-

It makes your job easier, since if you want, you can keep the mechanics of the spell hidden from the players. As a GM, I want to know all the mechanics so that I can adjudicate them fairly. As a player, I just want to point my wand and say "Accio Chocolate Frogs"

This system could be expanded. You could have Potionmaking:

Veritas Serum, 11-

Polyjuice, 8-

Failure indicates an unexpected result, failure by more than five indicates a catastrophic result. You could also make up penalties for less than optimal conditions (bathroom stall brewing) or substandard components.

A student with an aptitude could also buy a 5 point skill level with a class of magic, like Charms or Transfiguration. All spells in that class would receive the bonus.

The other benefit of this system would be simplicity of purchase. We could receive reasonable amounts of experience (1 point for a familiarity, 3 for a full-blown skill.) If someone wanted to improve a non-curriculum skill (Such as stealth), they would have to give up some improvement in their spell abilities. After all, if you're sneaking around Hogwarts all the time, you're probably not studying. Also, if all spells cost a reasonable amount, a Hogwarts graduate is not a 2,000 point character.

The final benefit of this system is that the GM has great control over what gets learned. You can't learn a spell (skill) without a teacher. If you don't want a student to learn something, don't give them the resources to learn it. OTOH, if someone desperately wants to learn something they haven't been taught, they could spend weeks in the library researching (self-teaching) it. Like Hermione does. A research skill seems to be needed in this case.

For actual point costs, I would make a list of the spells available per year and give a student a set amount of XP per term.

First Year 10 pt.s worth of spell skills (or other skills, if desired)

Second Year 10 points

3rd yr, +10

4th, +10

5th, (OWL Year), +15

6th Year, +15

7th (NEWT year), +20

Thus a student who graduated from Hogwarts and did nothing but study magic would have 80 points worth of skills. (Spells). Not bad. Of course, most of them spend a few points on things like Stealth, KS: Hogwarts secret passages, KS: Quidditch and so on.

and...

Curses

The students at Hogwarts seem to have a number of minor curses (such as the bat bogey hex). These seem like "kid stuff" and might be treated as a class of skills (Like Survival is broken down)

You would pay 3 points for a "Student Curses" skill and then 1 point for each actual curse. Perhaps it could be subdivided enough to include 2 point curse categories, but I don't know if it would be worth that much effort.

and...

Wands

Mr. Ollivander often says that such and such a wand is "good for Transfigurations" or "Excellent for Charms". I would suggest that a wand, besides being a near universal focus, should have a skill level attached: A five point level for one category of spell.

Also, there should be a skill penalty for using someone else's wand.

and...

Difficult Spells

Some spells, such as Expecto Patronum are said to be very difficult. I see three ways to handle this:

1) Require x number of spells as pre-requisites.

2) Require an automatic penalty (-3) which must be bought off.

3) Just limit it by GM fiat. "No, you can't buy that. It's out of character"

and...

Lumos

Since I am trying to use this currently:

Lumos

Sight group images, +4 to Per rolls, Increased size, 4" Line (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (33 Active Points) Wand Spell (-2 1/2). Total cost: 9 points

This spell creates a thin beam of weak light, similar to the light of a small flashlight. It requires no effort to maintain and lasts until the caster says, "Nox."

The term "Wand Spell" is a shorthand for the standard Wizarding limitations:

OAF Wand (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a Magic Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2)

"Spell" is detailed in Fantasy Hero, but basically means a spell cannot be bounced, spread, haymakered and other sorts of things you can do with weapons.

As for difficulty. you could use a -1 for ten active points, which would make "Lumos" be (11-3)= 8- at the base level, but I think just assigning a GM penalty based on perceived difficulty would be better. Not every spell is as difficult as its point cost indicates.

Example:

"Lumos" is simple, -0 to roll

"Expecto Patronum" is hard, -5 to roll

or something like that.

Keith "Headmaster" Curtis

A few questions, clarifications. With Expecto Patronum: I haven't yet read the third book (but in the fifth book they do make reference to Harry have a fully developed Patronum) but it seems there are a few levels for the Patronum. At first it appears to be a simpel shield, but in the advanced stage (a white stag for Harry) it actually attacks and drives off the opponents.

Again, not having read only the last two books, but it appears that they can use any wand, but obviously they have a preference with their wand. Also it seems that advanced wizards can cast with out incantations (though a silence spell is definitaly helpful).

I like the idea of doing the spells as skills, and then have some skill modifiers for being silent, using another's wand, etc. Perhaps bonuses for using a wand attuned to a particular aspect of the wizarding world.

I like the breakdown for XP advancement through the school years. In trying to compare the proper XP development for Harry, Hermione, etc, have to remember that trying to compare a PC to them is like trying to compare a champs character to Superman.

I would suspect that a Patronus is a matter of Summoning points. Perhaps it is bought in pieces. Summon 100 point patronus, add a another 100 points if skill roll made by 3 (-1/2), add a another 100 points if skill roll made by 5 (-1). or somesuch. Then you would have writeups for the various levels of Patronus.

Wizards always do better work with their own wands (one of the reasons Neville's is such a screw-up in the first four--He's using his father's wand). There should be a penalty for a stranger's wand.

Actually both wands and wizards seem to have talents in particular directions, according to Mister Olivander. "An excellent wand for charms". I would suggest wizards get to choose one barnch of magic to buy an overall skill level in, and that wands carry one two. If they match, that person is going to be pretty good at that aspect.

As for comparing caracters, it all depends on the points. There's a general feeling that source characters should overshadow RPG characters. (Ala FASA's Star Trek game). That's just a matter of personal preference and style, though.

Keith "wand, please" Curtis

I would add one thing to Keith's idea, and that's the "Magery" talent idea discussed in Fantasy Hero. I think it's perfect, since it's obvious the only thing keeping Muggles from using magic is lack of some intangible gift.

Have you considered a VPP with multiple skill rolls.

The book mentions how good most wizards are by magical types. Harry is superior at defensive charms, but middling with potions. Hermione is great at most things while Nevell is only good with herbology.

Broom flying would be combat pilot; someone like Harry could have levels to represent high skill.

Hello Keith,

I like your ideas on how to do Hogwarts Magic.

This web site has a list of the names of the spells used in the books and what they do. It also has some spells from the movies and games.

http://www.death-curse.com

Look under information in the menu and then spells.

Here is a direct link to the spells:

http://www.death-curse.com/index.php?p=information/spells

Brett