Best and Worst Costume/Appearance Changes

zornwil

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best and Worst Costume/Appearance Changes

I like Hercules with no beard, the first time. I didn't like the 'Football' Uniform.

I like Many many of the Hulk changes.

I like Cap covering his ears.

I like I like None of the Thor changes.

I like most of the Spiderman changes if only because I knew they'd be temporary.

I like how you could tell how crazy batman was by the length of his "ears".

I like The Hellcat -> Tigra transformation.

I like HATE most of the changes they've made to Scarlet Witch over the years. but the gypsy Victoria's Secret costume from Perez's last Avengers run was ...HAWT.

Oddly enough, I like all of Wonderman's costumes save for the West Coast avengers, green & yellow and rocket pack on the back...:ugly:

I generally dislike it when Superheroines cut their hair. But there are some short hair styles that I have liked.

ah, I had foegotten about someof these...

I liked DD's black and red with a few strategic plates costume that he wore during the 90's at some point...

X-factor's Multiple Man I had forgotten... the costumes for that era were pretty good... just didn't like Wolvesbane or Polaris much... especially the whole magnetic but with green light effects thing. Lame, IMO. But the characters were played off well, though, I have that Psychoanalysis issue signed by Quesada, I think it was... or was it Romita Jr.... time to get the old boxes out. =)

Regarding Thor... never liked the Asgardian stuff as they approached it as a whole. The scale mail is boring, if somewhat more appropriate than the dishes glued to his chest.... they could have done better with it though, and making it blue looks dumb.

The newer Nightcrawler I saw somewhere looks good, more organic than his old Voltron style costume.

*sigh* This makes me want to collect comics again, but it sounds like its a wierd time to go back in.

I liked Nightcrawler in the film quite a bit. I never read anything with him as it was after my time of reading Marvel comics, but I had seen some pics, I prefer the movie one to the sort of cat/devil furry one I've seen.

I think that was the whole idea.

Hmm... some of my favorite costumes:

Spider-man's the the classic. It's so good not even the movies guys could mess with it (and they said as such).

Thor in armor with a beard.

Manhunter's costume from the 70s (the one that looked vaguely Japanese).

Grendel's original costume (except for the white spot for the nose).

The solid, all-black, armored costumes for Batman from most of the movies.

Ones I don't like:

The costumes for the female X-men in Ultimate X-men. The guys all wear full-body clothes, yet the women have bare mid-riffs, tank-tops, and the like. It has no practical purpose except for the cheesecake value, and seems... a bit silly in the darker/grittier Ultimate verse.

Actually, now that I think of it, and female supers costume that has random cutaways, bare midriffs, bare thighs, and the like for no real reason (I'm looking at you Huntress). If we're talking invulnerable Power Girl or She-Hulk, that's one thing, but more street-level types should wear street-level gear -- which means no high-heels either.

Although no question it's done WAAAAAY too much in comics, it's an interesting thought that a number of women would entirely of their own will put on such costumes in even our real world if we had costumed vigilantes. Both for vanity and for the purposes of keeping at least some people off-center.

In the "Much needed but who really cares" catagory you have Dazzler

Before and After

The really sad thing is that when a buddy of mine said he was about to start a JLA/Avengers type campaign two of the players' first thought of a character was Dazzler.

Off Topic, but what the hey: Not a bad choice for a team-focused game, as most champions games tend to be. Let's face it, you flash the villain and all of a sudden even the clumsiest brick can wrap them up in no time.

Back on Topic: I've been going through my Marvel Universe collection and I was reminded of Storm's mohawk phase. :love:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/thordis.htm

Keith "Long memory" Curtis

There were also 2 what-if issues where women had Thor's powers. One was Jane Foster (She found Mjolnir in the cave instead), in the end, the power was restored to Thor and Jane married Odin.

The other was Rogue, back when she was a part of the early Brotherhood of evil mutants. She absorbed some of Thor's power, then decided to take it all. In the end, she couldn't bring herself to kill Odin, because all she saw was someone who grieved and gave to his son that which she had sought all her life. Mjolnir must be pretty perceptive to decide that she was worthy enough to wield it even before her change of heart, where she was simply on a huge power trip.

There were also 2 what-if issues where women had Thor's powers. One was Jane Foster (She found Mjolnir in the cave instead), in the end, the power was restored to Thor and Jane married Odin.

The other was Rogue, back when she was a part of the early Brotherhood of evil mutants. She absorbed some of Thor's power, then decided to take it all. In the end, she couldn't bring herself to kill Odin, because all she saw was someone who grieved and gave to his son that which she had sought all her life. Mjolnir must be pretty perceptive to decide that she was worthy enough to wield it even before her change of heart, where she was simply on a huge power trip.

And then there's Art Adams' rendition of Storm, Goddess of Thunder...

earthxmenstayedasgard9.jpg

Yummy.

Back at costume changes,

I still believe that Henry Pym holds the record for costumed changes... also name changes and possibly screwed up life style. The Ant man suit, the first Giant Man suit, the second red giant man suit with the metal helmet and black... poncho? Whatever it was. Then the various blue / red suits, with and without his goggles, over to the yellowjacket outfits (with and without guns), onto the red coveralls, then the various open headed outfits and back to the yellow jacket outfit.

I blame the wasp.

There were also 2 what-if issues where women had Thor's powers. One was Jane Foster (She found Mjolnir in the cave instead)' date=' in the end, the power was restored to Thor and Jane married Odin.[/quote']

The Thordis page I linked is Jane Foster from that What If... issue.

Keith "recapitulation of the antecedent action" Curtis

In general' date=' best. Cosmic Boy's costume was inconsistent. Some artist and colorists made the exposed areas skin, others had it as a pink body suit. Sometimes within one issue. I got the feeling everyone was uncomfortable with it and couldn't bring themselves to consistently make it skin.[/quote']

Just as well, because to be honest, this one looks like his regular supersuit was in the wash, so he borrowed his sister's....

cheers, Mark

Just as well, because to be honest, this one looks like his regular supersuit was in the wash, so he borrowed his sister's....

cheers, Mark

It put me in mind of the episode of Project A-Ko where B-Ko's dad nicks her battlesuit and uses it himself.

I feel I ought to mention the superb Edna Mode sequence from The Incredibles, which shows a different - and perhaps fuller - view of the whole costume change process. Sooner or later I think that Edna will be cropping up in one of my supers games.