Would You Assassinate the King?

Super Squirrel

I'm going to paint you the scenario from the eyes of my character. I want you to tell me what you would do in this situation.

First to give you some background, read my thread Got Owned on a Bait and Switch. This will give you an idea of what happened last game session.

Let me start by introducing the key resources in this situation. In no particular order:

• There is Lina (PC). She is a hero who has a lot of public sway having not only won a tournament recently but also marrying the Prince and other adventure goodness.
  • There is Rastal (PC). He is a member of the Knights of the Church.
  • There is the prince (NPC) heir to the throne.
  • There is Iarid (NPC). He is a former member of Order of the Wish.
  • There is Ryllis (NPC). While not with us, she is a prominent elf and will become the replacement of Angelique upon Ryllis' death.
  • There is a dragon on the Church of Romanor's council who I helped put there to form a bridge between the church and the fae.
  • There is a drake, whose father is Piercylwin. He has understands that Piercylwin is evil and that at least my character is on the side of drakes.
  • And then there is my character, Father Danaecus.

My character started out believing in the church that it was flawless and perfect. His philosophy in the teaching was that the Creator guides us on a path and we must follow that path to see his message. As close as my initial philosophy was, I had no idea the truth.

In our search to find a way and stop the psychotic Angelique, I had an encounter with her in my dreams. Her reason for anger is that she had learned the full truth of the creator. She came to hate the creator for this and seeks to either free herself in her existence or hurt the creator in such a perfect way that she will have had her vengeance. What I learned from this encounter shook my character's very faith.

Sidebar: Out of character you must recognize that the creator is nothing more than John Williams. He is a nobody who writes very bad stories that become true. All John Williams cares about in truth is having a popular book that sells for a lot of money.

What I have come to learn is that all the creator likes is a good story. He doesn't care who gets killed or hurt in the process as long as the story is good. I, unfortunately, see the logic in this and it is confirmed by several other means. The church doesn't know this nor does anyone else in the party at this time. My character is too shaken by this truth and other truths to break it to other people in the world yet.

Now, here is the dilemma. Piercylwin is bent on either destroying the world entirely or becoming in complete control of it so that no possible threat could rise against him. He has now the source he plans on using to get such a power. I have no idea how long it will take Piercylwin to achieve this goal.

Piercylwin has at his command at least two demons. Demons are practically unheard of in this world and incredibly powerful, Piercylwin has somehow managed to force two of them under his control. Piercylwin also has a full sized Black Dragon under his command. Dragons are, to say the least, deadly compared to any dragon in any other RPG I have encountered. Also Piercylwin has dozens, if not hundreds of Drakes. Drakes are half-dragon / half-men. They are just as powerful as full sized dragons. The just lack the innate magical ability. Piercylwin's number 2 is my character's brother who has somehow managed to bring someone back to life. This is a clear sign of necromancy powers, a forbidden art. And if this isn't already enough, Piercylwin is apparently immortal and leads the Order of the Wish.

Our resources as they are are not sufficient to deal with this threat. We need forces, lots of them, to win this battle.

Getting the church's knights to back us is easy. Order of the Wish is an enemy of the church and the fact that the former Seraphim Aveliel is being held prisoner by Piercylwin is enough of a motivation to get them going.

Getting dragon support is possible, but tricky. I've already bridged the gaps between dragons and the church. In fact, drakes are no longer seen as "demons" in the eyes of the church. This might also mean that in addition to dragons, we can get drakes working for us.

We might even be able to get the fae to help us. I don't expect much help from the fae and I'm not sure how much they could add, but it is possible through some work and some good deeds, we can address the problem. The Order of the Wish has put the lock down on one Fae Settlement. They know the evil that is Order of the Wish and if we can help them, they might be able to convince the other settlements to join our fight.

Thanks to Ryllis we have a good chance with the elves. But here lies the problem. The human king tried to assassinate the elven high queen. Because the situation is likely to be viewed as a "human" matter. The elves might not join our fight. Paired with this fact is that the current King is in liege with Order of the Wish. We can't get the Royal Knights behind us without the throne behind us. The Royal Knights are a much larger force than any of the above mentioned forces. We desperately need them.

So all this for the conundrum at hand. The prince and heir to the throne is with us. He knows his father is evil. His father, after all, tried to have him killed. We might be able to pull of a coup or some sort of similar tactic but this could be time consuming. As it is, we need dragon support if we have any chance with addressing the drakes and dragons. We can't risk Piercylwin gaining his power in time.

So the question my character is asking myself is, "Should I assassinate the king so that the prince can take the throne?"

And lingering on his mind is another thought. The assassination of the king would make a good story and thus would not be blasphemy against the church.

So, what do you think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would You Assassinate the King?

Just a minor detail, Josh: if your character realizes Ryllis's significance, he hasn't mentioned anything in-game. The last I knew, that was still a puzzle the party had placed on the back burner as unimportant. It's never fully fallen into place, at least not in-game.

If he has figured that out, he needs to enlighten the rest of his party members.

I don't think you assassinate kings - I think you commit regicide.

Either word works. Or you could just kill him.

Lucius Alexander

"The King Must Die!" cries the palindromedary from one end, and "Long Live the King!" from the other.

Either word works. Or you could just kill him.

Lucius Alexander

"The King Must Die!" cries the palindromedary from one end, and "Long Live the King!" from the other.

It has more significance because of the position they have. Sovereign implies a mandate from God to rule. It's almost anti-religious to kill a king.

It has mor significance because of the position they have. Sovereign implies a mandate from God to rule. It's almost anti-religious to kill a king.

That doesn't appear to be the case in this instance.

Of course the real problem with assassinating/deposing monarchs is that they tend to have supporters, which means that you end up with a faction of people hostile to you. Hopefully this faction won't be too big in this case.

So I'd say: go for it, if the heir is willing!

I think in general the position comes with a lot of baggage (at least in the real world) of good/bad memories, traditions, taboos and whatnot. Moreso than a politician by far - politicians don't have ancestors and precedent in the same way.

So it wouldn't be done lightly.

Death to the Aristos!

Ahem. Always my first response. Bastards.

No, it's a terrible story if you assassinate the king. The prince has to confront him and come into his destiny, overthrowing and possibly killing his evil father himself, and then leading the kingdom. That's a good old story, positively mythic. Having some damn outsider come in and do the killing and then put the prince on the throne? Heck, the universe won't allow it.

Death to the Aristos!

No, it's a terrible story if you assassinate the king. The prince has to confront him and come into his destiny, overthrowing and possibly killing his evil father himself, and then leading the kingdom. That's a good old story, positively mythic. Having some damn outsider come in and do the killing and then put the prince on the throne? Heck, the universe won't allow it.

True that.

Of course, the priest who has been shaken in his faith trying to assassinate the evil king, failing and dying or being captured in the attempt, thus overcoming the Princes reluctance to commit fratricide and regicide all at once is a classic.

Tread lightly, my squirelly friend.

Death to the Aristos!

Hmm. An excellent point indeed. :eg:

So, let me get this straight: the creator is a meta-fiction element?

Perhaps instead of killing him you should edit his stories - he can always be erased. :eg:

On the other hand, if he is a meta-fiction element, then you are required to do some meta-fiction thinking.

You are now aware you are a character in a story.

If the author dies - does the story end (and the world with it) - or can other writers ghost write under his pen name (become the creator)?

And what about story, plot, characterization, and literary structure - those things that just became your scientific realities?

If your character is a philosopher seeking the truth, he may have to consider what gives life (translated: story) meaning? Is it ease and liesure that give him purpose - utopia - or is he forged in fire? What if it really is tension and conflict that make a story worth reading (living) - make his story go?

What if overcoming challenges, pain, and suffering, is what makes him interesting and the story worth reading (his life worth living)?

Can you appreciate love, joy, and goodness if you know not their opposites - if the author has not demonstrated their opposites for his readers?

And of course, he may have to develop an exceptional power through his knowledge - some authors claim their creations have taken on a life of their own. That their leading characters don't always cooperate...

Maybe that knowledge bestows upon you free will - maybe you can decide what makes a good story for yourself. Maybe that was the creators ultimate intent. Maybe he's not a mad author, but an inspired creative writing teacher. Maybe you are expected to become a partner in creation. Maybe you have pierced the veil of the creators mysteries and realized his ultimate intent (kabballah?).

I guess what I'm saying is that Alice has interjected an intentional meta-layer into the game and that you need to have your character think about that layer and use it accordingly.

On the other hand, if you don't want to go there, conspire to bring the king's end - but make sure you do it in a dramatically appropriate way.

And yes, Alice, you must now create the great keeper of church mysteries, the Oracle, Priestess, and Counselor of Lost Souls, Vonda Monn. And make her hot. :D

Heh. Actually, the characters KNOW they have free will, because they've been told so by another person reading the stories - John Williams' son. Basically, John Williams' power is to bring anything he writes to life. (He doesn't realize he has this power, and, in fact, the power shields itself from his ever finding out.) On a drunken bender, he wrote that his next book was going to write itself, and make him lots of money, and set into motion a pathway between the real world and Via which his son fell into.

The party members found the son and sent him back home after much struggle and trying to figure out what was going on. The son realizes only after getting home exactly what's happened, and sees that the story IS writing itself. He returns and tells the characters they control their own destinies.

Now, what no one in the world of Via knows yet is (Josh, no peeking!)

that the son, gifted with the ability to copy anyone else's power, provided he's seen it performed and the person posessing that power is within a mile radius of his location, will have a choice when his father is dying. He can destroy the world of Via, since it's nothing without John Williams' power feeding into it, or he can create a NEW god for the world. The whole reason the powers-that-be sucked him into the world to begin with was to show him it's real, and worthy of saving. Without his little trip into Via, he wouldn't care what happened to it, nor would he ever have discovered what his father can do.

Death to the Aristos!

Alternately, arrange for the King to die a noble, heroic death. (Ie--you do the heroic thing, then slit his throat afterwards and blame it on the bad guy.)

The Prince is horifed he came to power this way--but he manages to keep all of his fathers contacts (who may have been a little put off if junior killed pops). He has to suffer through a state funeral praising dear old evil dad--more agony. A terrible secret, that must be preserved at all costs, with action, the possibility of betrayal, intrigue--and future blackmail. Meanwhile, the grim, ends justifies the means anti-hero, the new power behind the throne deals with the blood on hsi hands, blood that had to be shed for the greater good..... or so he keeps trying to tell himself.

It's a possibility.

Depends on what genre the Creator/Author likes. Seems the bets way to predict the future, to literally shape prophecy is appeal to the Creator/authors literary preferences. A review of the collected history texts should show the preferences pretty well.

Now, what no one in the world of Via knows yet is (Josh, no peeking!)...

"Very impressive, you have constructed your own lightsaber. Your training is now complete." --Darth Vader.

You have talent, kiddo. I admire your evil. Its too bad I can't sit in on one of your games.