Plucking Out Eyes

Susano

Re: Plucking Out Eyes

Esthetically' date=' I just don't like transform for this in a campaign with hit locations. The limb severing rules (page ref up thread) let you cut off an arm or leg; why not use them to cut out an eye? Sure, it's a nasty permanent change to a character, but so is getting a hand cut off.[/quote']

I'm with you on this one. I'd only use the Transform mechanic for a game that used the lite/superheroic rules subset (no hit locations, no targeting, no Disabling/Impairing, attacks are bought as powers, etc)

Yeah Hit Locations and Disabling, but I'd modify that by genre. In some games, I feel that an eye pop is extreme, for instance, four color supers, or some kinds of High Romance Adventure. I'd never pop out Tarzan's eye, for instance.

In that case, I'd go for a temporary blinding caused by swelling. ("My man's cut, my man's bleedin'!")

I'd reserve true ocular removal for gruesome or gritty stories ("Out, vile jelly!")

On the other hand for a bloody Hong Kong Theater Secret Move, I could see it as a power.

Keith "kudos to quote spotters" Curtis

Some of it depends a little, too, on how you want healilng/recovery to occur (if at all). If you want the healing/recovery to match the "realism" of the world then I think that hit locations/disabling is the way to go, because it will immediately be clear to victims how to get healed. They know that if the world can heal a removed eye, they go that route (and if it's kind of like our world, they know that it's extremely difficult if at all possible via the medical route). You also get some strong environmental control that's quite clear.

With Transform it's just a bit more difficult to know how one is "supposed" to overcome this condition, except that it's clear they "should" be able to because by the rules Transform has a very clear "you must have an escape clause."

Now, all that said, so long as you absolutely want a healing path for eye removal, I know either solution works. If you don't want a healing path, then the first solution works a bit better in a realistic world. And either way, personally, I am like OddHat in preferring the aesthetics of the first (hit location/disabling) version because of how it implies the character should seek recovery if it's at all possible.

Getting here late...

If you want a Power that sucks someone's eyes out, go for Transform. Restoration is by someone who's got a "Grow an Eye" Transform.

If you want "real world," then Hit Locations and the Coup de Grace rule seem to do it. Bonus points for using something with "Real Weapon" disadvantage.

(In other words, Real Weapons have many disadvantages, but also some advantages. Anything that can be done "realistically" with a real weapon can be done with a Real Weapon, including things you didn't expressly purchase, like the aforesaid Transform.)

I agree with the previous: in a superheroic-level campaign, I'd call it a transform (person to blind-in-one-eye person, or blind-in-one-eye person to fully blind person), healable by 'Healing, Grows Back Limbs'. In a heroic-level campaign that's using the hit location rules, I'd use those rules with the godawful penalties to hit the damn thing.

Great for martial artists. I might ONLY call that a Major (results only in penalties to CV) Transform, I don't know.

I built it like this for the Corax (WoD werecrows):

Eye Pluck: Major Transform 6d6 (sighted being to blind being, heals back through eye transplant or the like), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Partial Transform (+1/2) (157 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Target (beings with eyes) (-1/4)

Real Cost: 90

Yeah, I know it's hella expensive. I guess you could reduce the cost by shaving off some Transform dice, or adding Charges. I remember playing around with the other option (KA with levels and Disabling rules), but I can't remember exactly why I rejected it. I think it had something to do with the amount of damage required for a Disabling result and how any target with modest resistant PD (regardless of the special effect) was going to be immune to having their eye plucked out.

Has anyone though of using:

Darkness, Sight Group, 1" + Accurate(?) + Zero END(+.5), Persistent(+.5), Uncontrolled(Lasts Until Eyes are Restored; +.5), Useable As Attack(+1)

I don't have my book with me now, so this was done from memory, and might not include all the needed Power Modifiers. The only problem I would see would be the list of defenses required by UAA.

Has anyone though of using:

Darkness, Sight Group, 1" + Accurate(?) + Zero END(+.5), Persistent(+.5), Uncontrolled(Lasts Until Eyes are Restored; +.5), Useable As Attack(+1)

I don't have my book with me now, so this was done from memory, and might not include all the needed Power Modifiers. The only problem I would see would be the list of defenses required by UAA.

This is a clever option that's inexpensive, but avoids the problem of the damage required for a Disabling wound. It's good at simulating a double (multiple?) eye pluck, but not an attack that leaves the target with one good eye (or more).

As an area effect power, I think it would require Mobile (+1). I'm not sure if UAA is necessary.

UAA is required to have it "stick" to the target and thus move with him. Consequently, in this instance, Mobile is not required. EDIT: 5ER, p 250.

BTW, the USPD has the power "Aportive Blinding" that fully blinds a person -- it's bought as a 7d6 Major Transform, All-or-Nothing.

Though I'd really go with the Major Transform method, since what is happening (mechanically) is giving the target one of two possible Physical Limitations: Missing One Eye (p 336 of 5ER), or Blindness (same page).

Using Darkness doesn't really fit the F/X of the power, as Darkness is external to the target. EDIT: Not to mention that it'd take significant modification so that it doesn't cover the whole hex where the target is, and everybody can still clearly see the target.