How would you build this skill?

tgaptte

Hi all,

How would you build a skill that let's a character have a pretty good chance of determining the value of any item they might come across (silver studded chalice, pentagonal amulet etc)? DnD 3e has the skill Appraise (and I only use this for illustrative purposes...the HERO skill system is WAY more complete in my opinion). I guess part of the problem, that there are potentially SO MANY ways to do this in HERO. What are some of the ways that you all have come up with?

Here are my initial ideas:

KS: Value of items

PS: Merchant or PS: Thief

Tim

You may want to narrow it down to specific knowledge skills. What do you want to appraise? Paintings? Jewelry? Wine? Knowledge of one area does not imply another, although it doesn't preclude it, either.

PS: Merchant would be a good start. Definitely any merchant worth his salt would learn about the goods he's selling. Maybe a PS: Merchant skill will allow a roll of 11- to determine the value his principal merchandise and a roll of 8- on other items.

I would not allow a Thief PS more than "Oh, this looks valuable..". A merchant might be able to make a better guess, as well as know what is considered valuable in the areas wher he travels or trades (for example slaves are common and cheap in Saharn, but slavery is (technically) illegal in P'nume, so they are much more expensive there and so on.

For general "how much is this worth" questions, PS: Appraiser seems about right, although a character with for example KS: Wines would be able to appraise wines, and a character with PS: jeweller would be able to appraise gems, jewellery and precious metals.

cheers, Mark

IMO, knowing the value of stuff is a Knowledge Skill, not a Professional Skill.

KS: Value of stuff would take care of this. Of course, that's very broad, so the character would know generally how much everything was worth but not be too good about specifics. KS: Jewelry Values would give the character amazing knowledge about that subject, as it's very focused.

PS: Merchant would include knowing how to appraise something (general rules based on appearance, market factors, etc.; plus what kinds of people to take specific items to) and probably how to estimate an item's value based on how people react to it.

PS: Thief would include being able to prioritize items (what items in a house are portable, valuable, and easily fenced) and again some basic info on how to value items.

Obviously, a Detect (with Discriminatory or Analyze) would be a way for a character to get near-perfect knowledge about the value of items.

Well actually why one one of the "new" skills in 5th, Analyze?

something along the lines of Analyze: Stolen Goods or some other somesuch title.

Seems like a perfect fit, besides cuts down on everyone wanting Scholar just to get a break on half the skills in the game.

Originally posted by D-Man

Analyze: Value

Complimentary skill rolls can be relevent background skills, such as KS: Objects D'Art, etc.

I essentially agree with David (particularly on the complimentary skills). However, I think Analyze: Value would be much too broad without some sort of limiter. A thief would not necessarily know how much a house or some other building was worth, but should know the value of things inside the house. I would limit the use of Analyze: Value to only subjects the character covered with either a KS or PS.

The description of Analyze in FREd requires this kind of limit when dealing with its original use. Therefore, using it on inanimate objects should also require a limit or set of boundaries.

What does everyone else think?

Although the final paragraph talks about extending it to buildings and the like, I think Analyze: Value strays a bit far from the basic concept (which was really analyzing other characters). I wouldn't recommend it, but since it's a 3/2 skill I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if that's how my GM wanted it done.

I use a 2ed D&D ploy for this. I have often had trouble seeing how someone could appraise anything from a rough cut gemstone to furniture. I always felt that there needed to be some 'structure' to it - areas of expertise as it were.

In 2nd Ed, I believe they mentioned the different 'categories' of valuables that could be done. Therefore, I break them down into categories:

Gems & Jewlery

Paintings and sculptures

Clothing and Tapestries (cloth objects)

Stone and wood work (furniture and others)

Precious Metals and stones(such as candlesticks and other nick nacks not covered under the above)

Each one of these areas require a seperate Knowledge or Analyze skill.

To get a better idea of what you should go with would be to think what your characters background is. Such as your character came from a family of merchents and was taught the family tradition or something, I think a PS works perfectly. If just want your character to have a knack a the price is right it should be bought the the power luck. although it costs more I think it fits your description better.

:D

• 2 weeks later...