Heroes for HERO?

Susano

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Re: Heroes for HERO?

"Always On" isn't a valid limitation for Regen. Also' date=' there needs to be a Extra Time limitation (she heals really fast, so it's the minimum per Turn. But... there does seem to be a limitation that she can't heal if she's being kept "dead" ([i']i.e.[/i] doesn't start healing until the stick is removed from her head/brain). This isn't part of the Resurrection limitations, since that requires something to actually, permanently kill her (for example, she heals back quickly from a burn, but if totally incinerated? She's gone....).

If "Always On" isn't a valid limitation, I assume it would also not be an advantage to be able to not regenerate if one so chose? If I were playing a regenerating character I would certainly find that option convenient on occasions when I wanted to conceal my power, and if it isn't a limitation to not be able to do that, it logically would not be an advantage to be able to exercise the option. I'm just sayin'.

I'll be posting some Heroes character sheets to my website in a week or two, if anyone has any more. I'll be posting characters from the Hero Designer files that were included in this thread. If you'd like to send me rtf, doc, or txt character sheets of any heroes characters you have done, I'll include them too.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, if he can use the powers all at once at the full level of whoever he takes them from, then the only 100% accurate option is to give him every power in the book with every possible advantage and even every possible limitation with an extra limitation that he cannot use the power unless he kills somone who has it and studies their brain and then he has it with all their advantages and limitations and at their power level. We would also have to assume the GM gives him the powers at a level as high as anything ever allowable in the game and maybe so high that its unlikely anything in the show will surpass it (assuming Sylar appears again after season one). But this is such a ridiculous amount of bookkeeping, even for Champions, that it might as well be GM fiat.

Now, let's hope nobody ever runs a villians campaign and a PC says, "How can I make up Sylar so he can do what he did in the show?" Then I'd go with one of two options. If the game was going to be short term, I'd go with a Multi-Power with a limitation that he must kill someone and study their brain to get their powers, whatever that would be worth. I'd get as big a MP with as many slots as I could possibly get. If the game was going to be long term, I'd consider doing it as a VPP (same limitation) because, in the long run, it would probably be more advantageous to add points to it. In the short term, the MP would probably be better. Again, if they ever establish absolutely that he has all the powers at once, this would have to be a 'no points limit' campaign or forget it.

If Sylar can use multiple acquired powers simultaneously at full strength (which we have no evidence for or against, yet), then neither a multipower nor (reasonable) VPP are gonna be adequate - he has a GM fiat power to add gobs of xp whenever he does whatever he does with those brains.

If he can only use one at a time, you're still going to run into trouble when he acquires an ability that's worth more points than whatever he'd gotten before, unless you start him off with as big a VPP pool as the most powerful other meta (if the GM even knows what that will be). But I'm betting he ends up being able to use all his stuff simultaneously - it makes him more badass, and we all know that's what the kids go for these days. :P

And, who knows, maybe every time he acquires a new ability, he's gaining some mental disads (I still think it has something to do with his "how things work" power, imposing "brain wave patterns" or some such comic book silliness on his own brain - though how he can "see" them without hospital-level diagnostic tools in person, but not through skulls, is another question). If so, it's even possible that these disads might pay for new slots on a multipower, in which case it might be cool to use an MP rather than a VPP.

Probably the only ways to stat him up this far into the show, are:

1) Assume he can only use one at a time, and use a huge cosmic VPP with an "only for prepared powers" limitation. This means knowing the point cost of everyone's powers, or at least knowing that no one else will ever get a power bigger than x points. Or assuming that he doesn't necessarily get full use of stolen powers that are bigger than his VPP.

2) Assume he can use them simultaneously, and give him a VPP big enough to fit every power on earth at once...

...which is kind of weird and wasteful (besides staggeringly expensive), since he wouldn't be changing the pool out at all except when acquiring a new ability. Most of the pool would never be used.

3) Just GM fiat the xp whenever he gets a new one.

For an enhanced version of Sylar that I made for a standard heroic campaign, I gave him his telekinetic powers straight up along with several of his other powers...rather than give him a VVP...I just gave him a large villain bonus of unused XP. Since he permanently acquires powers, this seemed to be the best way to model that. As he kills a person, he can use some of his unsed XP for it. Kinda cheesy, but as an NPC, I didn't think it would matter much. I'd certainly never allow the character concept as a PC. How unheroic.

Rob

Whew. Okay I faked illness at work to stay at home and watch all 23 episodes in straight 4 days. Eh.

I admit this time I was hooked like a fish, this show was real good (in Italy they're airing it in 2-3 months - dubbed - I preferred to watch it in English - now).

SOME SPOILERS AHEAD (how do I mark some text as spoiler?)

Some thoughts ad questions:

1. (and foremost): For what reason at the end of the show Peter didn't just fly upwards and explode ALONE?????
  2. How comes the Haitian didn't suppress Claude's "invisibility" power right out of Peter's apartment? (when his Nathan thought he flew away).
  3. Who's the character Molly Walker says she couldn't detect, which accordig to her is "much worse" than the boogeyman, that he/she could see her when she tries to detect him? Might it be Charles Deveaux (since he's able to see Peter in his vision)? Or Angela Petrelli (she is quite EVIL it seems)?
  4. Considering the Haitian's power actually damages the victim's brain, is that possible that Claire didn't lose her memory because she regenerated her damaged brain cells?
  5. Is there any explanation of how Hiro learns Battōjutsu in a couple of hours of training?

And regarding Peter ad Gabriel's powers... I'd go for the XP explanation. After all they become stronger with time, not just more flexible.

And I think Gabriel does not really neet to examine the brains or eat them at all. I think it's just his delusion (he's a psychopath after all)

1. (and foremost): For what reason at the end of the show Peter didn't just fly upwards and explode ALONE?????
  2. How comes the Haitian didn't suppress Claude's "invisibility" power right out of Peter's apartment? (when his Nathan thought he flew away).
  3. Who's the character Molly Walker says she couldn't detect, which accordig to her is "much worse" than the boogeyman, that he/she could see her when she tries to detect him? Might it be Charles Deveaux (since he's able to see Peter in his vision)? Or Angela Petrelli (she is quite EVIL it seems)?
  4. Considering the Haitian's power actually damages the victim's brain, is that possible that Claire didn't lose her memory because she regenerated her damaged brain cells?
  5. Is there any explanation of how Hiro learns Battōjutsu in a couple of hours of training?

1) Peter was trying so hard not to explode he couldn't access any of his other powers. That's what he meant by "I can't do anything".

2) The Hatian isn't immune to super powers; he might not have seen them, and might not have had his suppression field running. Alternatively, we know he was secretly working for mama Petrelli; maybe he wasn't sure what he should do about Peter, and so let him go.

3) We'll find out in season 2.

4) The Hatian was working for Mama Petrelli; he spared Clair.

5) Nope. Fan wanks include the idea that Hiro was already trained in Kendo and just needed some self confidence, or that his father's power is teaching through a training montage.

Good write ups all' date=' and the take on the Haitian's power set is particularly cool.[/quote']

Allow me to state -- I didn't do these, they were taken from this thread.

I'd love to see more, BTW.

5) Nope. Fan wanks include the idea that Hiro was already trained in Kendo and just needed some self confidence' date=' or that his father's power is teaching through a training montage.[/quote']

Let's not forget that Hiro can always have as much time as he needs to learn anything. All he needs to do is transport himself and his teacher to another time, and the transport back when done. They didn't show him doing that in the show, but it makes more sense than the "his father's power is teaching using a training montage."

btw, We didn't see what the powers were for most of the earlier generation of supers were, did we?

Let's not forget that Hiro can always have as much time as he needs to learn anything. All he needs to do is transport himself and his teacher to another time' date=' and the transport back when done. They didn't show him doing that in the show, but it makes more sense than the "his father's power is teaching using a training montage."[/quote']

Time travel makes more sense than accelerated teaching? ;)

btw, We didn't see what the powers were for most of the earlier generation of supers were, did we?

Nope. We got Linderman's healing, we know from the comic that the Haitian's father was able to induce ecstasy and madness, and as far as I can recall that's it. Lots of speculation though. The next season's Generations theme is rumored to deal more with that.

• 4 months later...

Well, in the Case of DL, he is still having an effect on the show -- even though he is dead. It remains to be seen whether Nikki has super speed and strength on her own, or if she draws on the power of the dead to achieve these feats (at the cost of them haunting her).

(yeah, I know. It was just a passing thought. I am better now.)

Well, in the Case of DL, he is still having an effect on the show -- even though he is dead. It remains to be seen whether Nikki has super speed and strength on her own, or if she draws on the power of the dead to achieve these feats (at the cost of them haunting her).

(yeah, I know. It was just a passing thought. I am better now.)

Isaac is still having an effect on the show too with that second batch of paintings. I'm sure another bunch will turn up as the seasons continue.

I'm not convinced that Nikki has Superspeed. I think she just moves at SPD 4 (or maybe 5), and is good at sweeping with HtH attacks, which could give the same effect as Superspeed against a roomful of SPD 2 or 3 thugs if the attack happened off screen. :D

Isaac is still having an effect on the show too with that second batch of paintings. I'm sure another bunch will turn up as the seasons continue.
But Peter (and Sylar, if he gets his powers back) has the option of creating new ones. It becomes increasingly unlikely that Isaac painted yet another series of prophetic paintings that nobody previously knew about.

I'm not convinced that Nikki has Superspeed. I think she just moves at SPD 4 (or maybe 5)' date=' and is good at sweeping with HtH attacks, which could give the same effect as Superspeed against a roomful of SPD 2 or 3 thugs if the attack happened off screen. :D[/quote']

Good point.

But Peter (and Sylar' date=' if he gets his powers back) has the option of creating new ones. It becomes increasingly unlikely that Isaac painted yet another series of prophetic paintings that nobody previously knew about.[/quote']

You may be right. However, Isaac, being a dedicated artist, is the most likely to have made a sequence of 8 paintings. Peter tends to stumble on a lone canvas and get one clue as he needs it.

Mind you, that warehouse where he met with Adam in Montreal (allo, Maman!) seems to be full of artsy stuff, so maybe Peter has a new hobby?