Dorkiest Hero/Villian

Mightybec

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a bite out of crime

Well, I wanted to try and think of superheroes who were cannibals, I can only thnk of one, though. Crime Cannibal from the Man-Eating Cow comics set in the Tick's world is actually funny so I don't wanna bash him.

Then I thought about nonhumans who eat criminals. There's a couple of those. The aformentioned Man-Eating Cow is entertaining though not as funny as Bessie the Hellcow. :)

Then I remembered Morlock, though I wish I hadn't. He was a plant creature who turned into this human looking guy who sometimes ate people on accident. -shakes his head-

Maybe he wasn't a superhero/villain but he wore spandex for no good reason and so I'm gonna count him.

Are you ready for some football!

There are sports-related injuries and sports-related heroes.

Marvel had a few characters that felt like both combined.

First, though most definitely not foremost, there was Kickers Inc. they were a bunch of football players who went adventuring. Admittedly, the quarterback had superstrength and speed, but his wife and teammates sure didn't. Although, one of them was drawn looking like he was 7 ft tall and 4 feet wide and made of solid muscle.

Then, 'cause some people never learn, we got a zero for the nineties, NFL Superpro. He was a former football player turned sports reporter. During his career of investigative sports reporting, he had an accident involving chemicals and took to wearing 'an advanced football uniform' as the thankfully now forgotten NFL Superpro. He had enhanced athletic abilties , superstrength and fought for Truth, Justice and the American Football Way.

Why do I have to remember these things?

Originally posted by Mightybec

Does anyone remember Styx? Him and and a guy called Stone faught Spidey one time. This guy basically got off when he touched things and killed them. Anyways, a bag of grain fell on him somehow, and because he killed millions of grain seeds, he basically messed his pants and just sat there in extasy while Spidey captured him. If your main power incapacitates you when it works, you need to find a new job.

Mightybec

I thought that was a group of villains. Had sonic powers, caused some form of horrific nausea. Had a flirtation with robotics at one point. Summoned a gathering of angels, once threatened Miss America, terrible stuff like that.

They were EVIL.:D

Originally posted by Superskrull

The Generic Hero -star of the Generic Comic Book, this moron actually got superpowers from his collection of glow-in-the-dark junk...

To be fair, the items glowed because they contained radium paint, like old glow-in-the-dark watch faces.

Workers painting the watches kept developing cancer because nobody told them not to wet the brushes in their mouths while working...

Originally posted by SuperPheemy

Ferro-Lad = Could turn his body to Iron, but once he did that he was unable to move.

Polar Boy = Typical cold-based powers, just looked stupid in his fur-trimmed outfit.

Spectra-Lad = Could generate rainbow beams of light. Non-damaging, altogether not disablingly bright, rainbow beams of light. Black costume with white trim and a rainbow on his chest.

As has already been pointed out, the first one on this list is actually Stone Boy. Later on he (gradually) developed greater control of his power, and learned to (1) selectively turn just certain parts of his body to stone -- like, say, his fist (just before he punched you) and (2) move even while turned to stone (sort of a sleepwalking state, but he WAS able to fight).

Polar Boy didn't exactly have 'typical' cold-based powers. Rather like Killer Frost (from Firestorm's hit list) his powers worked by *absorbing* heat. He was, in effect, immune to just about any heat effect, including the temperatures at the core of the Earth. Most people would expect "Hey, a cold-based guy! Let's see how he like a little fire-blast!" In the case of Polar Boy, those making this assumption were in for an upleasant surprise.

The last one you mentioned is actually Color Kid, and was a tad bit more effective than you'd think. Among other things, his exploits included saving Superboy & Supergirl (turning a cloud of green kryptonite particles surrounding the Earth to blue, which didn't affect them) and blinding opponents by turning the color of the air to black. He also helped put paid to a number of Khund warships during the Earthwar, by swapping the colors of the sky & ground. The confused pilots believed their eyes instead of their instruments and...crunch.

Originally posted by Evil Steve

Aw Hell, I forgot all about Dazzler's early carrer. Real shame 'cause I own most of that series. I bought it for one issue, when Rogue tries to kill her.

Anyone wanna guess which issue I don't have?:mad:

The one with the bounty hunter and his dog? No, wait, the Secret Wars II crossover? The one where she fights Dr Doom?

The one where she beats Terrax the Tamer? The one where, distraught over the flagging popularity of Disco, she is cryogenically preserved to be restored in the late 90's to ride a nostalgia train straight to the top of the charts with her stunning post-ice debut single "Disco Duck" with guest vocals by Howard the Duck?

Y'know, I never could figure out who booked a disco singer in a punk club when she first appeared back in Uncanny X-men along with Kitty Pryde.

Of course, I've heard that no one at Marvel then or now will take responsibility for the creation of Dazzler.

Originally posted by Armitage

To be fair, the items glowed because they contained radium paint, like old glow-in-the-dark watch faces.

Workers painting the watches kept developing cancer because nobody told them not to wet the brushes in their mouths while working...

Wow. To swipe a quote from Supreme ( the poster, not the superhero), "Raging Roentgen!"

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

As has already been pointed out, the first one on this list is actually Stone Boy. Later on he (gradually) developed greater control of his power, and learned to (1) selectively turn just certain parts of his body to stone -- like, say, his fist (just before he punched you) and (2) move even while turned to stone (sort of a sleepwalking state, but he WAS able to fight).

Ah yes, the Biernbaum era. I loved some of their stuff, hated some of it and was indifferent to much. I liked that they made the Subs as effective as they could have been. Even if they had to fudge a power or two. Much as I liked seeing Stone Boy kickin' ass, surely the power of movement while stone would have been mentioned before,somewhere.

Polar Boy didn't exactly have 'typical' cold-based powers. Rather like Killer Frost (from Firestorm's hit list) his powers worked by *absorbing* heat. He was, in effect, immune to just about any heat effect, including the temperatures at the core of the Earth. Most people would expect "Hey, a cold-based guy! Let's see how he like a little fire-blast!" In the case of Polar Boy, those making this assumption were in for an upleasant surprise.

Yeah, remember why he didn't make the cut before? Thjey were afraid his powers might get out of control and damage things. Something you apparently wouldn't have happen with people like Element Lad, Sun Boy or Lightning Lad, of course.

The last one you mentioned is actually Color Kid, and was a tad bit more effective than you'd think. Among other things, his exploits included saving Superboy & Supergirl (turning a cloud of green kryptonite particles surrounding the Earth to blue, which didn't affect them) and blinding opponents by turning the color of the air to black. He also helped put paid to a number of Khund warships during the Earthwar, by swapping the colors of the sky & ground. The confused pilots believed their eyes instead of their instruments and...crunch.

Considering his power to control coloration, there's a whole host of things he could do to mess with people. Naturally, my favorite scene with him is from the old DC Presents with Superman and Ambush Bug. The Bug is trying to pull off Antennae Lad's ears 'cause he thinks they're fake and Color Kid shoots this rainbow of harmless light at him. Ambush Bug responds with "Oh no! Technicolor!" or something to that effect.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

The last one you mentioned is actually Color Kid, and was a tad bit more effective than you'd think. [...] He also helped put paid to a number of Khund warships during the Earthwar, by swapping the colors of the sky & ground. The confused pilots believed their eyes instead of their instruments and...crunch.

I recall being in a V & V adventure at Gen Con many years ago in which we played the Legion of Super-Heroes. Color Kid came with us on a mission, and was very useful when we suddenly found ourselves facing off against the 30th-century Green Lantern of Khund.

"Quick! Make us all yellow!"

Thanks for putting the Legion of Substitute Heroes in order. It's been many moons (obviously) since I've witnessed the awesome power of Color Kid or Stone Boy.

It sounds like Color Kid's powers were more of a Deux ex Machina than something intended to be very effective. Like Aquaman's telepathic command of fish suddenly being able to give Zum a brain seizure because the Basil Ganglia is a holdover from marine evolution.

Though being able to hold off the Green Lantern Corps by turning things yellow makes for a very amusing mental image.