Sorceror/Wizard 3.5 Spell Conversion

Thia Halmades

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sorceror/Wizard 3.5 Spell Conversion

I'm still not sure about the attack bit either but how's this?

34 Guard Hound: (Total: 179 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) Detect Intruder(s) and Bark (Transmit) A Class Of Things 17- (Mystic Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting, Transmit, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit); Begins barking when an intruder is detected; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Limited Power Only to represent senses of 'Triggered' Guard Hound (-2), OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/4), Linked (When Guard Hounds Attack!; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; When Guard Hound Attacks!; +3/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Continuous (+1) (127 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 25) - END=[1 cc]

To avoid this problem in the future: This spell has been added to the roster of 5th level magic as "Mage's Faithful Hound II (HM)."

Here's a general question (although as always I've posted the spell build for your reference). The higher level divinations seem simple but raise nifty questions as to how things are most easily modeled. For the spell Prying Eyes, based on the adder "extra range," I went ahead and took off "Increased Range" because to my mind, that represented where the spell could begin manifesting, but more importantly, the extra range is on the eyes themselves.

It looks like this:

18 Prying Eyes [Divination]: Clairsentience (Sight Group), x8 Range (2,520"), +6 to PER Roll, 16 Perception Points, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 12" per Phase), Transmit, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (83 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; A handful of crystal marbles; -1 1/4), Requires A Divination Roll (-1/2), Spell (Divination; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (Individual Floating Eyes, See Text; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Each eye records what it sees for one hour; the eye must return to its owner to relay its information, at the rate of 1 hour of data per turn.; -1/4)

Each Prying Eye is a construct; treat the Construct as a creature 1/16th human size per the templates in HERO 5th Rev. Each only has 1 BODY, and no PD or ED. If struck, it will immediately dissipate. Sufficient STUN damage (30 or more) with no BODY damage will also destroy a Prying Eye.

When you create the eyes, you specify instructions you want them to follow in a command of no more than twenty-five words. Any knowledge you possess is known by the eyes as well.

In order to report their findings, the eyes must return to your hand. Each replays in your mind all it has seen during its existence. It takes an eye 1 round to replay 1 hour of recorded images. After relaying its findings, an eye disappears.

If an eye ever gets more than 1 mile away from you, it instantly ceases to exist. However, your link with the eye is such that you won’t know if the eye was destroyed because it wandered out of range or because of some other event.

The eyes exist for up to 1 hour per caster level or until they return to you. Dispel magic can destroy eyes. Roll separately for each eye caught in an area dispel. Of course, if an eye is sent into darkness, it could hit a wall or similar obstacle and destroy itself.

And also for your consumption, Dream.

8 Dream [illusion (Phantasm) (Mind-Affecting)]: Telepathy 10d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds (Monstrous Humanoid) classes of minds), Total Recall (Recipient recalls message perfectly upon waking), Usable By Other (+1/4) (81 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (1 Minute, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; Messenger's Mind occupies dream of target; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Message Recipient must be sleeping; -1), Send Only (-1/2), Requires An Illusion Roll (-1/2), Spell (Illusion; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), No Range (Power can only be given at touch range; the power itself has unlimited range; -1/4)

Heh heh. Whoops. I appear to have utterly missed a spell in 4th Level Magic (for which I apologize... please withhold the floggings). The spell is Hallucinatory Terrain. I've included it here and will eventually update 4th Level Magic on the HERO Designer boards.

24 Hallucinatory Terrain [illusion]: Sight, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups Images Increased Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), +/-7 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 12 Hours (+0) (92 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; A stone, a twig, and a bit of green plant.; -1), Requires An Illusion Roll (-1/2), Spell (Illusion; -1/2), Limited Effect Terrain Only (The spell only alters the appearance of terrain; it does not affect structures, equipment or creatures within the terrain; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Open to suggestions. The idea is that not only does Nightmare deal direct damage, it keeps you from memorizing spells for 24 Hours... which I don't see a clean way to simulate. KS did a custom "Unlock VPP" for his Wish line, and I would suppose the same would apply in reverse. KS, if you can post a version of the spell you like, I'd be happy to include it. HM, your thoughts are always welcome as well.

9 Nightmare [illusion (Phantasm) (Mind-Affecting, Evil)]: Ego Attack 8d6 (Humanoid and Additional Class of Minds (Monstrous Humanoid) classes of minds) (90 Active Points); Casting Time (10 Minutes, -2), 1 Charge (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; Spell ends and is lost if interrupted; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only Targets Sleeping Opponents; -1), Requires An Illusion vs. EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Illusion vs. EGO contests; -3/4), Spell (Illusion; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Target Familiarity Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (See Chart; -1/4)

Prevents restful sleep, prohibiting memorization casters from regaining their spell slots for the day. Prayer casters are unaffected by this special effect, but will still take damage as normal from Nightmare.

Knowledge / EGO Roll Modifier

1. You must have some sort of connection to a creature you have no knowledge of.

None*1 +10

Secondhand (you have heard of the subject) +5

Firsthand (you have met the subject) +0

Familiar (you know the subject well) -5

Connection / EGO Roll Modifier

Likeness or picture +2

Possession or garment -4

Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, etc. -10

v.2: Does BODY, knocked the dice down to 3d6 1/2.

9 Nightmare II [illusion (Phantasm) (Mind-Affecting, Evil)]: Ego Attack 3 1/2d6 (Humanoid and Additional Class of Minds (Monstrous Humanoid) classes of minds), Does BODY (+1) (90 Active Points); Casting Time (10 Minutes, -2), 1 Charge (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; Spell ends and is lost if interrupted; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only Targets Sleeping Opponents; -1), Requires An Illusion vs. EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Illusion vs. EGO contests; -3/4), Spell (Illusion; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Target Familiarity Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (See Chart; -1/4)

This spell is complicated on several levels.

It has unlimited range and therefore requires Mind Scan as part of a compound power. The trickiest part is the 'lack of sleep' for spell memorization. I think Mental Illusions is the way to go. The damage part could be handled by Ego Attack but Mental Illusions can also handle this as well.

Here's my take:

23 Nightmare [illusion (Phantasm) (Mind-Affecting, Evil)] Complex Version: (Total: 240 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Mind Scan 20d6 (standard effect: 60 points) (Human class of minds), +20 ECV (140 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), Mandatory Effect EGO +30 or Greater (Must Always Achieve [Particular Effect]; +10 to Lock On, +20 to be undetectable by target; -1), OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature.; -1 1/4), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Dispel evil cast on the subject while you are casting the spell dispels the nightmare and causes you to be stunned for 10 minutes per caster level of the dispel evil.; -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Conditional Power Only vs. Sleeping Targets (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Requires An Illusion Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 14) plus Mental Illusions 20d6 (standard effect: 60 points) (Human class of minds) (100 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1), OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; Power of spell depends on personal knowledge of and/or item connected to target.; -1 1/4), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), Mandatory Effect EGO +30 or Greater (Must Always Achieve [Particular Effect]; (EGO +40) Target experiences Nightmare during dreams which does some Stun and Body (minor amount) and keeps character from getting any 'rest' from sleep.; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Dispel evil cast on the subject while you are casting the spell dispels the nightmare and causes you to be stunned for 10 minutes per caster level of the dispel evil.; -1), Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Only (-1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Linked (Mind Scan; -1/2), Requires An Illusion Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) [Notes: Mind Scan gives the spell a true unlimited range. The Partial Focus requirement determines how much of the +20 OCV the Scan Attempt gets. If that part succeeds then the Mental Illusion part can do a pre-defined amount of damage and make the target believe they did not actually sleep and therefore get no benefits from being asleep (memorizing spells).] - END=[1]

The number of dice can always be adjusted as well as the use of standard effect (which is just an attempt to reduce the # of uneccessary rolls as much as possible).

I will add that shortly. Here's my current, big conundrum. How to handle the WISH concept. My understanding of what KS did (and I may just be misunderstanding his notes) was he created a series of NPAs that "unlock" sections of the VPP. So I attempted to model that in HDv3, but seem to have busted it. :D

-32 Shadow Evocation [illusion (Shadow)]: Unlock VPP (Creates Shadow Magic; +2); 1 Charge (-2), Requires An Illusion vs. EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Illusion vs. EGO contests; -3/4), Limited Class Of Powers Available Limited (Only Evocation Spells up to 4th Level May be Simulated; -1/2), Side Effects (Characters who make their EGO save treat the spell as though they had 75% Damage Reduction; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 75 Active Points of Wizard VPP (-32 Active Points)

Clearly, no worky. I like the idea and I think the model is right -- you're using an NPA to affect your VPP and allow you to cast "any spell" within the range of the effect, but when I did the math I came out with a negative series of points, which doesn't make sense to me a'tall. :ugly:

Hep meh!

I will add that shortly. Here's my current, big conundrum. How to handle the WISH concept. My understanding of what KS did (and I may just be misunderstanding his notes) was he created a series of NPAs that "unlock" sections of the VPP. So I attempted to model that in HDv3, but seem to have busted it. :D

-32 Shadow Evocation [illusion (Shadow)]: Unlock VPP (Creates Shadow Magic; +2); 1 Charge (-2), Requires An Illusion vs. EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Illusion vs. EGO contests; -3/4), Limited Class Of Powers Available Limited (Only Evocation Spells up to 4th Level May be Simulated; -1/2), Side Effects (Characters who make their EGO save treat the spell as though they had 75% Damage Reduction; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 75 Active Points of Wizard VPP (-32 Active Points)

Clearly, no worky. I like the idea and I think the model is right -- you're using an NPA to affect your VPP and allow you to cast "any spell" within the range of the effect, but when I did the math I came out with a negative series of points, which doesn't make sense to me a'tall. :ugly:

Hep meh!

I know this sounds repettitive but this sounds like another case where Mental Illusions should proabably be used. Probably a Ego vs. Ego or Activate roll to determine whether full or 1/5 damage is done (seperate from the actual dice of the Mental Illusions or Skill Roll to actually cast the spell). The MI might need a Variable Advantage to handle simulating spells that normally affect multiple targets. It ain't gonna be cheap no matter how you cut it.

I've reviewed and added your build, HM, but I don't "get it." Why am I mind scanning? The reason I modeled it on what'sit... Ego Attack with an SFX attached to it was to create a basic "attack spell" that functioned at any range. Why all the extra mess? Can you explain your reasoning a little more clearly?

I've reviewed and added your build' date=' HM, but I don't "get it." Why am I mind scanning? The reason I modeled it on what'sit... Ego Attack with an SFX attached to it was to create a basic "attack spell" that functioned at any range. Why all the extra mess? Can you explain your reasoning a little more clearly?[/quote']

All mental powers except for Mind Scan normally have a range = Line of Sight.

Ego Attack handles the damage effect but something else is necessary to handle the lack of rest for memorizing spells. I figured either Mind Control (which can't do damage) or Mental Illusions (which CAN do damage as well) would be the best fit.

Ah, but! If you don't have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, you don't regain your slots for the day. The way I built Nightmare created a spell that deals BODY damage to a sleeping target, thus 'interrupting' their sleep, keeping them from casting. However, you're right about the range thingy. Grr. Argh.

Ah' date=' but! If you don't have 8 hours of [i']uninterrupted sleep[/i], you don't regain your slots for the day. The way I built Nightmare created a spell that deals BODY damage to a sleeping target, thus 'interrupting' their sleep, keeping them from casting. However, you're right about the range thingy. Grr. Argh.

Ah, another case of my unfamiliarity with the current twists and turns of D&D 3.5 rules for spellcasters.

And here's Shadow Evocation II:

14 Shadow Evocation [illusion (Shadow)]: Mental Illusions 16d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds (Monstrous Humanoids) classes of minds) (90 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires An Illusion vs. EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Illusion vs. EGO contests; -3/4), Spell (Illusion; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Creatures who make their EGO rolls only take 1/4th total damage from Shadow Evocations; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only Simulates Evocations 4th Level or Lower; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Normal Range (Range as Determined by the simulated Evocation; -1/4)

I don't like this version as much... I feel like I'm cheating ala Transform, but hey. I can't think of a better way to do it, so I'm going to shrug at it.

FYI,

The whole rest to recharge/memorize and spells built with 1 charge to simulate a system where multiple copies of the same spell can be memorized really confuses me. I've never sat down and tried to understand Killer Shrikes method of handling it. It seems a lot like the initial confusion some have when trying to model Clerics ability to 'Turn Undead' in HERO. You can build a very nasty attack with a Only vs. Undead (overly complicated) or you can give them +X PRE only vs. Undead and give Undead a Disadvantage vs. PRE Attacks from Holy Men (Clerics & Paladins). Spell memorization seems like it could be handled in somewhat the same way but I'm not sure.

The concept is pretty straight forward; I'm sure KS will be along with a link to his explanation, but I'll give you the short version.

In this variant on the VPP, each spell is slotted into the total alloted points of the VPP; in other words, it's not a "true" VPP but much more an "IVPP." An InVariable Power Pool, as I call it. You can only memorize spells you know; but there's no limit to which of what types you can slot in.

So if you have, say, 60 points available to memorize spells, then each spell you slot into the framework consumes its own Real Cost, say, 5 points, 10 points and 15 points.

Within that, you can memorize any combination of those 3 spells (for example). So 4 15 point spells, or 3 10 point spells and 2 15 point spells, or 3 5 point, 1 15 point and 3 10 point, or any combination thereof. You get the gist.

Now, you place each spell in the VPP on a Charge; when you fire it off, the Charge powers the spell, not your END, and since each spell is one charge, it's expended from the VPP. This mechanic is very similar to what I originally thought of with an END Reserve (where you would place each spell's Real Cost against the END reserve every day) but KS just got a much more polished version done which I adopted.

FYI,

The whole rest to recharge/memorize and spells built with 1 charge to simulate a system where multiple copies of the same spell can be memorized really confuses me. I've never sat down and tried to understand Killer Shrikes method of handling it. It seems a lot like the initial confusion some have when trying to model Clerics ability to 'Turn Undead' in HERO. You can build a very nasty attack with a Only vs. Undead (overly complicated) or you can give them +X PRE only vs. Undead and give Undead a Disadvantage vs. PRE Attacks from Holy Men (Clerics & Paladins). Spell memorization seems like it could be handled in somewhat the same way but I'm not sure.

Here is the Explanation

What specifically do you not understand? Ill answer any direct question along those lines.

Here is the Explanation

What specifically do you not understand? Ill answer any direct question along those lines.

I have read the page and understand the basics. What I don't understand is all the consequences of tweaking the model. I guess it boils down to the Active vs. Real cost debate. I wish there was some fair way to reduce the tracked 'active' cost of a power even if it meant increasing the real cost for this type of system. Some spells are hamstrung from an accurate translation from the get go based on active cost alone. I feel like limitations like this end up supporting the arguments that HERO math is too hard when trying to get D&D players to try the system. I know it's just a perception issue as most of the problem lies on the D&D side not having a truly balanced spell system.

I guess I just need to delve into the details a bit more. I certainly have a new perspective now that I'm actually playing in a brand new 3.5 game where everyone started as 0-Level characters and we just became 1st-Level characters with Class now (My character became the Cleric).

I have read the page and understand the basics. What I don't understand is all the consequences of tweaking the model. I guess it boils down to the Active vs. Real cost debate. I wish there was some fair way to reduce the tracked 'active' cost of a power even if it meant increasing the real cost for this type of system. Some spells are hamstrung from an accurate translation from the get go based on active cost alone. I feel like limitations like this end up supporting the arguments that HERO math is too hard when trying to get D&D players to try the system. I know it's just a perception issue as most of the problem lies on the D&D side not having a truly balanced spell system.

I guess I just need to delve into the details a bit more. I certainly have a new perspective now that I'm actually playing in a brand new 3.5 game where everyone started as 0-Level characters and we just became 1st-Level characters with Class now (My character became the Cleric).

Hmm...well, thats still kind of broad, but I can say this:

A) I use the 1 charge per on the Prepared model; however I present two other models for doing magic that is still more or less "Vancian" i.e. fire & forget X/Day that don't work off the 1 charge per model. So, its kind of a "if it makes sense to you, use it, if it doesnt heres a couple of other ways of doing it" scenario.

B) The main reasoning behind it is that I wanted the Spells to be distinctly slot-able by Spell level and not require tweaking on the fly if someone wanted to prepare the same Spell multiple times. After all, in D&D you don't get a "discount" if you want to prepare the same spell 3x in the same day -- each Fireball takes one slot for instance.

I also didnt want the AP of spells using Continuous Charges to grow as would happen if you upped the number of charges in a given day, because that causes problems at the high end of the pool (suddenly a Spell's AP crests the VPP's cap and you can't prepare it at all).

So, given the design goal of a Spells that are "interchangeable" based on their Active Points, and must be slotted individually, 1 Charge per Spell made sense as a solution. The down side was that each Spell effectively consumes it's RC footprint for the day when the Charge on it is expended, and thus characters couldnt have enough spells to match D&D's typical volume. So, I played around with the design and converted some characters and compared the results against other magic systems and arrived at the formula for increasing the Real Cost limit of the Pool independently of the AP...Pool x 3 = RC limit. This has proven to work very well in actual play and Im generally happy with it.

However, converting some high level spellcasters, particularly Clerics, it became clear that at the higher end not all but some character's D&D spell total exceeded what could be matched via this model, so I added the ability to take a Custom Talent to expand the RC multiple, limited by the character's total points. This solved the overage issue well.

So...not sure if that clarified anything or not, but there you have it.

Personally, I prefer the Gestalt and Spontaneous models I present for Vancian magic, but Ive done character comparisons all along the progression from 1st to 9th spell level for all three Vancian casting models I present and they all have their pros and cons. Prepared is the weakest of the three in the beginning, but the strongest of the three in the end for two reasons; 1) each Spell Level (15 Active Points) costs less than a Spell Level in either Spontaneous or Gestalt, and 2) the open ended Known Spell list of a Prepared caster can accumulate over time into quite an impressive library of effects.

Thia is doing his own thing, so Ill not speak to that, but my model has seen extensive use, and it works. The 1 Charge per Spell is a major control factor, but the system correspondingly gets a pro to counter it out in the form of a RC multiplier. The net effect is a limited but very powerful system that can be used for a lot of things.

Its not the best or only way to do things to be sure (I prefer several other of my own non-Vancian magic systems over it personally), but ive got a pile of converted D&D style characters that show that its good for that particular purpose. ;)

My thing was simply wanting to literally simulate the system in d20 and then, once I'd gotten the gist, make the adjustments to get something closer to the HERO model of how things work and sort of split the difference; my model isn't meant to be as flexible or as totally utilitarian as KS's -- it's a finite model to serve a specific function.

AND. New spell which I think is right, but I've been wrong before.

Magic Jar [Necromancy]: Mind Control 16d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds (Monstrous Humanoid) classes of minds), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (User can only swap from jar, to victim, back, or to his own body; +0), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Can only attempt to Magic Jar a target within a 3" radius of the Jar; +0) (90 Active Points); OAF (A gem or crystal worth at least 100 gp. ; -1), 8 clips of 1 Charge (See Text; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (User's body appears dead and lifeless; -1), Requires A Necromancy Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Necromancy vs. EGO contests; Add Mental Defense to EGO for purposes of defending against this spell.; -3/4), Spell (Necromancy; -1/2), Soul Shunting (User cannot use the body's extraordinary or supernatural abilities; creature's spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body; -1/2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; If host body is slain outside of spell range, both the caster and the host die.; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Normal Range (-1/4), Limited Range (25" (Medium Range); -1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Cannot possess through a Protection From Evil or similar ward; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Can only attempt to possess a single target once; failure means no subsequent attempts may be made against that target; -1/4), Possession Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Each Possession Attempt requires a full phase; -1/4)

Notes: By casting magic jar, you place your soul in a gem or large crystal (known as the magic jar), leaving your body lifeless. Then you can attempt to take control of a nearby body, forcing its soul into the magic jar. You may move back to the jar (thereby returning the trapped soul to its body) and attempt to possess another body. The spell ends when you send your soul back to your own body, leaving the receptacle empty.

The 8 clips attached to this spell represent the total number of possession attempts the caster can make before the spell expires. The spell also expires immediately if he returns to his own body.

Attempting to possess a body is a full-round action. It is blocked by protection from evil or a similar ward. You possess the body and force the creature’s soul into the magic jar unless the subject succeeds on a Will save. Failure to take over the host leaves your life force in the magic jar, and the target automatically succeeds on further saving throws if you attempt to possess its body again.