Tuala Morn Discussion

Killer Shrike

Re: Tuala Morn Discussion

. . . I thought it had beenrejected by the historical community' date=' but it appears the Goths might actually have originated in Sweden -- at the time of their archeological appearance at the mouth of the Wistula, there was a discernible depopulation of Ostrogothia.[/quote']

I have a book by Peter Heather, imaginatively titled The Goths. I've never had time to read the thing through, but I know he discusses these points.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also of note as ancient Germanic tribes are the Cimbri and Teutonic tribes which came out of the north and proceded to trounce the Romans for a bunch of years until about 100BC when the Cimbri tribe was obliterated at the Battle Of Vercellae, which took place in 101BC according to Roman records.

Also of note: until recently it was thought that the Teutons were a Celtic tribe, then they waffled a bit and last I heard have settled on the idea that they were in fact a Germanic tribe.

Well, I'm trying to kick-start The Shadows Rise as an online campaign but response has been luke-warm. http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54205

Be that as it may I'll start putting together some items, monsters, and an adventure seed or two.

Here's a preview of the "cover"

tales_of_the_dragon.gif

Here's a sample of the content. I'm still a HERO newb and have no idea if these are good - it's a low powered campaign so I'm avoiding alot of flash. Going for a Robin of Sherwood feel. The pdf download is here: http://www.naturaltwenty.com/downloads/three_items.pdf

3_items.gif

Later,

Greg V.

And now' date=' back to Tuala Morn. I'm curious to hear what kinds of adventures and campaigns people are starting to cook up. I'm starting to have some thoughts, but I'm busy enough that I haven't had much chance to write them out and play with them.[/quote']

Looking forward to getting this.

How does it compare/differ from Chaosium's old Pagan Shore?

Well, I haven't read Pagan Shore, although I am thinking about getting the PDF just to see how it handles the same source materials. The two obvious differences are (1) Tuala Morn is a fantasy setting inspired by historical and mythological information, not a game-adapted historical/mythological setting; and (2) Tuala Morn handles its Arthurian inspirations in relatively loose fashion, taking a few bits of tone and character types and adding them to its primarily Irish-based setting. From what I've seen, Pendragon takes its high medieval Arthurian legendry very seriously; Tuala Morn has a relatively light sprinkling.

I've read and enjoyed Pagan Shores very much, and I think EDP generally sums up the differences pretty well. In the main, PS attempts to be very historically accurate in its depiction of a real-world setting, which is then tinged with Arthurian flavor. Tuala Morn is a fictional setting inspired by the history and legends of Ireland (and the British Isles generally). There's no pretense to historical completeness or accuracy at all; in fact, I gleefully wave my hand dismissively at historical accuracy when drama and fun should trump it. ;)

I suppose I could just wait until my copy arrives to find out (any day now.....) but I just can't resist immediate gratification. So...

How are gods and mythology handled in TM? Does it deal with any of the Celtic gods (Belenos, Taranis, Bel, Nuada, Lugh, the Morrigan etc.) or does it introduce a new bunch? Or does it use the TA pantheon?

I'm currently running a campaign which has pagan Celtic elements, and though gods haven't figured very heavily so far, that could all change since the party have just managed to get all blasphemous and sacrilegious against Cernunnos, the Horned God.

I suppose I could just wait until my copy arrives to find out (any day now.....) but I just can't resist immediate gratification. So...

How are gods and mythology handled in TM? Does it deal with any of the Celtic gods (Belenos, Taranis, Bel, Nuada, Lugh, the Morrigan etc.) or does it introduce a new bunch? Or does it use the TA pantheon?

I'm currently running a campaign which has pagan Celtic elements, and though gods haven't figured very heavily so far, that could all change since the party have just managed to get all blasphemous and sacrilegious against Cernunnos, the Horned God.

Tuala Morn pretty much uses familiar Celtic gods. The Welsh Arawn is in there, and the smith-god is the Gaulish Govannon and not the Irish Goibhniu, but most of them are known from Irish sources. Lugh, Taranis, the Morrigan, Brigid, Cernunnos (Sernunnos in Tuala Morn), and all those guys are mentioned. The Wild Huntsman gets full stats...and you DO NOT want to mess with him and his pack of hell-hounds!

. . . Talking Arthurian: Are there any elements from Monty Python And The Holy Grail?

Apparently, I need to know these things . . .

None direct, but that didn't stop me from suggesting some appropriate tweaks to the jackalope stats from the HERO System Bestiary. (Run away! Run away!)

An avatar of Herne the Hunted' date=' God of Small Animals Destined to End Their Lives As A Brief, Damp Squeak, perhaps? :D[/quote']

All I suggested was take off the antlers and bump up the bite HKA. An extra couple of inches of Leaping is probably in order as well, though...

Yeah... Samhain-plus. :fear:

Back in my undergrad days, we had a DM who was famous for boasting that "One well-played (insert monster) can take out an entire party." (You know, one well-played stirge, or rust monster, or rot grub...)

Well, one well-played Wild Hunt should take out an entire party. Fast. And the players of those characters should be staining their trousers as well.

It's not nice to fool with the Wild Hunt.

a Morn pretty much uses familiar Celtic gods. The Welsh Arawn is in there, and the smith-god is the Gaulish Govannon and not the Irish Goibhniu, but most of them are known from Irish sources. Lugh, Taranis, the Morrigan, Brigid, Cernunnos (Sernunnos in Tuala Morn), and all those guys are mentioned.

Just to make sure no one's misled...

While I do obviously derive the Dronnach Lanva (the Hundred Children, the gods of the druidic faith of Tuala Morn) from the Celtic gods, in some cases even using the same names pretty directly, they're not just copies of the Celtic gods. Some of them are tweaked or changed in ways that seemed appropriate to me.

So, please don't go into TM expecting some sort of gaming take on the "real" Celtic gods as they're depicted in RL myth and such. That you won't find in the book. What you will find is a heavily Celtic-influenced pantheon and religion that I hope you'll enjoy for your campaigns. :hex: