Tuala Morn Discussion

Killer Shrike

Re: Tuala Morn Discussion

Pardon the topic drift, but I'd like to get some assistance from the Celt-loving Heroes on this thread.

In my current FH game, the heroes are heading toward my world's equivalent of Ireland. An evil Formorian named Fannon used a magical amulet to control the mind of one of the heroes' friends, using her as his puppet. The heroes got the amulet off of her, and eventually they're going to want to know what the engravings on the amulet say.

Here's the rundown of the events: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1309915&postcount=89

So, anyone have any ideas for what the curse/enchantment on the amulet might say? It'd be cool if it were in Gaelic (or pseudo-Gaelic). Thanks, guys!

I might be able to come up with something. Can you be a touch more specific about the "feel" of the writing you're going for?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My research has yet to yield a good online English/Gaelic translator or dictionary.

That's because it's not actually a real language. It's really a sort of joke Esperanto, but designed specifically to be less coherent and understandable than other European languages. You don't seriously think the Irish and Scots actually talk that gibberish when there aren't Englishmen around to confuse, do you? Come on.

That's because it's not actually a real language. It's really a sort of joke Esperanto' date=' but designed specifically to be [i']less[/i] coherent and understandable than other European languages. You don't seriously think the Irish and Scots actually talk that gibberish when there aren't Englishmen around to confuse, do you? Come on.

OCH!

That's because it's not actually a real language. It's really a sort of joke Esperanto' date=' but designed specifically to be [i']less[/i] coherent and understandable than other European languages. You don't seriously think the Irish and Scots actually talk that gibberish when there aren't Englishmen around to confuse, do you? Come on.

Cum do theanga ablaich gun fheum :eg:

De do ghnothaich!

Cum do theanga ablaich gun fheum :eg:

De do ghnothaich!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Ja' date=' blånn må då vara, fast I finn int åt levra.[/quote']

Translation:

To Ma Own beloved Lassie.

A poem on her 17th Birthday.

Lend us a couple of bob till Thursday.

I'm absolutely skint.

But I'm expecting a postal order

and I can pay you back as soon as it comes.

Love Ewan

I might be able to come up with something. Can you be a touch more specific about the "feel" of the writing you're going for?

Something along the lines of "This amulet and all that touch it are owned by Fannon, the great, the powerful, the big, whose footsteps shake the mountains and whose breath spawns storms." Something like that -- trash talk about how awesome Fannon is, and "if you touch this amulet, I pwnz joo."

Thanks, man! :thumbup:

Something along the lines of "This amulet and all that touch it are owned by Fannon, the great, the powerful, the big, whose footsteps shake the mountains and whose breath spawns storms." Something like that -- trash talk about how awesome Fannon is, and "if you touch this amulet, I pwnz joo."

Trash Talking... I should be able to do this

Actually, most of the gaelic I know is trash talk....

Trash Talking... I should be able to do this

Actually, most of the gaelic I know is trash talk....

From what I can tell, Gaelic is a terrific trash-talking language, but I haven't had much opportunity to learn any. I'm limited to Mandarin Chinese, which as any "Firefly" fan knows, is also surprisingly good for such purposes.

This is the culture that popularized fighting naked and painted blue, hurling logs as a competitive sport, throwing lime-covered severed heads at their enemies, and the bagpipes; so it doesn't surprise me that the language has a strong "in your face" quality. :D

D'anam don Fannon Mor an Miorunach, anail a' sian

Cuibhrich ortesa meirleach, thoir dhomh mo ionmhas dhachaigh

Trans.

Your soul to Fannon the Great and Malevolent, breath of storms

Fetters on you thief, bring my treasure homewards

That work?

D'anam don Fannon Mor an Miorunach, anail a' sian

Cuibhrich ortesa meirleach, thoir dhomh mo ionmhas dhachaigh

Trans.

Your soul to Fannon the Great and Malevolent, breath of storms

Fetters on you thief, bring my treasure homewards

That work?

Bro, that is six kinds of excellent. Thanks! :thumbup:

I'll just have to take your word for that' date=' because I don't even know what, if anything, "I pwnz joo" means in English.[/quote']

Its online gaming chatspeak, sort of the little brother of leetspeak. A deliberate reconstruction of "I owned you", with the "p" replacing the "o" due to the frequency of that particular typo when typing fast

Its online gaming chatspeak' date=' sort of the little brother of leetspeak. A deliberate reconstruction of "I owned you", with the "p" replacing the "o" due to the frequency of that particular typo when typing fast[/quote']

:think:

I think I'll stick with Chinese.