Tuala Morn Discussion

Killer Shrike

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tuala Morn Discussion

This kind of set up is not the place for the gamer who wishes to play the half dragon/half giant/half unicorn character.

I would think that sort of player would be discouraged by the need to understand elementary math to play HERO. 50%+50%+50%=150%, after all.

I am hoping to pick this up with some of my next check -- it's actually on a long list of HERO books I need to catch up on.

This Ireland stuff has me wondering: if a Patrick-equivalent character attempting to spread his new monotheistic creed were to come to Tuala Morn from parts unknown and the locals were unable to make short work of him, how would his presence affect the campaign? And, from the perspective of most PCs, would he be a villain threatening the balance of the universe, a ray of hope, or something else entirely?

This Ireland stuff has me wondering: if a Patrick-equivalent character attempting to spread his new monotheistic creed were to come to Tuala Morn from parts unknown and the locals were unable to make short work of him' date=' how would his presence affect the campaign? And, from the perspective of most PCs, would he be a villain threatening the balance of the universe, a ray of hope, or something else entirely?[/quote']

In my rpg.net review, I pointed out that the balance between the Druidic faith and the monotheists in Tuala Morn was not one that existed in historical Ireland, and one reason for that is that the Temple doesn't have an equivalent of Saint Patrick. A conversion from paganism wouldn't necessarily be a BAD thing, but it seems to be in this case, given that the Temple presence seems to drain much of the "magic and wonder" from the local environment. The book actually says that a "clever person" who visits monotheistic Logres would notice that "some feeling of the special, the wondrous, has gone from the land."

JG

In my rpg.net review' date=' I pointed out that the balance between the Druidic faith and the monotheists in Tuala Morn was not one that existed in historical Ireland, and one reason for that is that the Temple doesn't have an equivalent of Saint Patrick. A conversion from paganism wouldn't necessarily be a BAD thing, but it seems to be in this case, given that the Temple presence seems to drain much of the "magic and wonder" from the local environment. The book actually says that a "clever person" who visits monotheistic Logres would notice that "some feeling of the [i']special[/i], the wondrous, has gone from the land."

One idea I've started to toy with is, rather than a widespread conversion, a syncretism (somewhat along the lines of adopting some Irish gods into the Christian pantheon of saints, but more permeating). Maybe I'll post more about it another time, but I'm tinkering with a variation on the "Golden Temple conspiracy" plot seed from the GM chapter that makes the conspiracy less villainous and more misguided...and would offer good reason for moderates in the Temple to adopt a less rigid stance toward the traditional Tualan religion (as in, it's right about a couple of very important things, but not necessarily everything).

Personally' date=' I think this is what has long been missing from Hero's [i']setting[/i] supplements. Not the other one's certainly, but a setting should have a distinctive "look and feel" and options tailored to that. I'm glad to see its been done. People are going to tweak no matter what, so there's no reason not to tailor it from the get-go (IMO).

Exactly!

I have been trying to get a game together and I no longer have time to establish the boundaries in my games. I stopped playing Hero a long time ago because of the overly generic aspect (I loved it when I was in college... darn professional jobs :D )

I am getting this soon. Wow it came out at the exact right time.

Thanks Steve...

One more thing... I have a ton of the Pendragon supplements. It sounds like this would be a great setting to use the stories from those books. Am I correct in this thinking?

Exactly!

I have been trying to get a game together and I no longer have time to establish the boundaries in my games. I stopped playing Hero a long time ago because of the overly generic aspect (I loved it when I was in college... darn professional jobs :D )

I am getting this soon. Wow it came out at the exact right time.

Thanks Steve...

One more thing... I have a ton of the Pendragon supplements. It sounds like this would be a great setting to use the stories from those books. Am I correct in this thinking?

I suppose there are certain parallels (the story of Tristan and Isolde was set in Ireland, and the 'historical' Arthur was around the time of St. Patrick) so it's not unfeasible.

JG

I suppose there are certain parallels (the story of Tristan and Isolde was set in Ireland, and the 'historical' Arthur was around the time of St. Patrick) so it's not unfeasible.

JG

Why would "heroes" like Arthur be so valuable as combatants in a mass battle at this tech level? The reason I ask this is that the Roman military style was su successful for so long because the cohesion of the unit was far more important than individual prowess; the Legions were professionals who fought as groups and we far less concerned about how brave they appeared than they were about winning.

Why would "heroes" like Arthur be so valuable as combatants in a mass battle at this tech level? The reason I ask this is that the Roman military style was su successful for so long because the cohesion of the unit was far more important than individual prowess; the Legions were professionals who fought as groups and we far less concerned about how brave they appeared than they were about winning.

Because both historically and in the heroic stories, the Roman Empire was falling to bits and being eaten up by barbarians, and whatever military advantages possessed by the legion were either rendered irrelevant by numbers or by internal political factors. That is, when ROME was united, the Legions could enforce Roman will. When Rome went broke and evacuated the Legions from outlands like Britannia, the locals had to start fending for themselves.

JG

First, the Roman Legions were regularly trounced by barbarians, take the Cimbri who slaughtered a Roman army many times their size - it was only through trechery that the Romans managed to defeat them. So the unit cohesion only got so far.

Second, because the setting of Tuala Morn is very much a setting where a single Hero can swing the tide of battle. Consider that within the setting entire conflicts can be settled with One On One combat, so a leader like Arthur could very well lead to victory after victory by challenging the opposing sides leader to single combat and defeating him, thus winning that conflict within Tualan society.

Yes, I believe so, once you allow for the fact that there's no Arthur in Tuala Morn, the PCs aren't (or probably aren't ;) ) all knights, and so on. Your best bet might be to take the plot seeds and ideas and tweak them to fit the TM setting -- probably wouldn't be much work at all.

Why would "heroes" like Arthur be so valuable as combatants in a mass battle at this tech level?

Because this is a setting for telling dramatic stories, using a rule system deliberately designed for dramatic storytelling, and in a story one true hero is always worth a whole legion of soldiers. :)

Because this is a setting for telling dramatic stories' date=' using a rule system deliberately designed for dramatic storytelling, and in a story one true hero is always worth a whole legion of soldiers. :)[/quote']

Said much better than me . . . "you must spread Rep, yadayadayada"

*bump*

Was just wandering around YouTube and found an excellent version of The Corries arraingment of

(One of the stranger spellings of his name, BTW)

The period is WAYYYYYY off, but it's a braw song, about a poacher lad, his greyhounds, and the 7 Foresters who come after him.

*Warning. The song is in broad Scots. Possibly NSFW due to violence, but the chance that anyone overhearing it will understand is slim to none*

A few new Heroic-level Feats for your favorite spearman...

Del Chliss
Feat:
By throwing his spear using a special grip, the character causes it to spin in flight and inflict more terrible and painful wounds.

Buy as: RKA ½d6, Increased STUN Multiplier (+1 STUN Multiplier; +¼) (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only To Increase Thrown Spear Damage (-1). Total cost: 4 points.

Salmon-Leap Feat:
This Feat allows a character to leap higher and farther than his peers (for example, to jump high enough to strike over an enemy’s shield). This is a very watered-down version of the Superheroic Salmon-Leap on page 139 of
Tuala Morn.

Buy as: Leaping +2”. Total cost: 2 points.

Shield-Rim Feat:
This is the Feat of using a specially constructed, sharpened shield rim as a weapon.

Buy as: WF: Shield-Rim (an Uncommon Melee Weapon). Total cost: 1 point.

Spear-Smiting Feat:
This Feat allows the character to block spears, arrows, and other relatively slow-moving projectiles using his shield, sword, or spear.

Buy as: Missile Deflection (arrows/projectiles), Range (adjacent hexes, +½) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires An Attack Roll (-½), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-¼). Total cost: 5 points.

Warrior’s Scream Feat:
The character can emit an ululating battle cry that chills his enemies’ hearts with terror.

Buy as: +25 PRE, Incantations (throughout; -½), Only To Make Fear-Based Presence Attacks (-1). Total cost: 10 points.

Yoke-Pole Feat:
The character can run along the yoke-pole of a moving chariot while maintaining his balance. Unlike the Rope Feat on page 138 of Tuala Morn, the Yoke-Pole Feat does not include the Breakfall Skill, since Breakfall would hardly help a character avoid being run over by his own horses and chariot. It does include Acrobatics, with which the character might roll or throw himself clear of the vehicle. A character who already knows the Yoke-Pole Feat should be allowed to buy the Rope Feat for 3 points, and a character who knows the Rope Feat may buy the Yoke-Pole Feat for 3 points, the cost of the appropriate Skill.

Buy as: Acrobatics (total cost: 3 points)
plus
Environmental Movement: Supreme Balance (total cost: 3 points). Total cost: 6 points.

Pardon the topic drift, but I'd like to get some assistance from the Celt-loving Heroes on this thread.

In my current FH game, the heroes are heading toward my world's equivalent of Ireland. An evil Formorian named Fannon used a magical amulet to control the mind of one of the heroes' friends, using her as his puppet. The heroes got the amulet off of her, and eventually they're going to want to know what the engravings on the amulet say.

Here's the rundown of the events: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1309915&postcount=89

So, anyone have any ideas for what the curse/enchantment on the amulet might say? It'd be cool if it were in Gaelic (or pseudo-Gaelic). Thanks, guys!