Help with Stretchy Guy.

JohnOSpencer

A player of mine just made his character for my new campaign, and ran into two problems.

1) Name. He has no idea what to name his newly made stretchy guy. He is not trying to be comic relief so most of the joke names won't fit.

2)How to simulate him just "oozing" out of grabs and most entangles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Spencer

Re: Help with Stretchy Guy.

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

A player of mine just made his character for my new campaign, and ran into two problems.

1) Name. He has no idea what to name his newly made stretchy guy. He is not trying to be comic relief so most of the joke names won't fit.

Some names were submitted recently for Name the Hero #8 that might be of use to you.

Other names I've used or seen used.

Sgt. Long (No secret ID, that was honestly his rank and name)

Snapback

Recoil

Tension

Coil (no relation to the snake guys)

Re: Help with Stretchy Guy.

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

2)How to simulate him just "oozing" out of grabs and most entangles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Spencer

I'm not so good with the name part, but I like Recoil well enough. But, for the escaping entangles, could the Desolidification power not be used? With a Limitiation, only for Escaping Hold/Entangles? At first I thought about buying Extra Str, but he should be able to get out regardless of STR.

[wonders]

Ragdoll.

Re: Re: Help with Stretchy Guy.

Originally posted by Hermit

Sgt. Long (No secret ID, that was honestly his rank and name)

Funnily enough he was created by the military as a "super soldier".

[i}Orginally posted by Ragdoll [/i]

But, for the escaping entangles, could the Desolidification power not be used? With a Limitiation, only for Escaping Hold/Entangles? At first I thought about buying Extra Str, but he should be able to get out regardless of STR.

I was thinking Desolidification, but I'm looking for other options. With the STR bonus(which he currently has) it would take someone almost Grond's level to hold him.

Thank you both.

John Spencer

Hey Jon I kinda like the Recoil name but that's just me and it's not my character :)

As for the oozing out could you buy, as a power, escape MA with levels?

ps. We still on for Sat? Mr. Paul joining us? Whats xp for last week as I'm thinking of buying Metahuman world/powers KS for an off shoot of his editic memory.

Chill out

Originally posted by zarglif69

Morpheus!?!?!!? that's the name of Matrix character, you dumba--!!!!!!

So what? :rolleyes: Long before that it was the name of the god of dreams. It's been used since been used by other characters, and while I think it might be better for a mentalist or mystic who focuses in mental illusions, I can at least appreciate the 'morph' part of it and how it might apply in word play.

Morpheus was a God of Dreams. The Matrix is not the all-source of ideas. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I recently did Commando Rubberbando for the Name the HERO contest, and I did him as a 350 point retired Green Beret, with about 15 Martial Arts manuevers and 4 DC, a ton of 'GI Joe' skills, tolerable stretching and 20" of Combat Leap or Run. He's mostly a martial artist, and very scary with a full complement of FMove Manuevers.

His ability to get out of Grabs is represented by both an Escape Manuever and Reversal, and he also has Crush (+4d6 must follow a Grab), so Grab him at your own peril; he's likely to reverse and then crush.

Protean (my Name the Hero entry for stretchy-guy now known as Commando Rubberbando), was quite serious (look at his expression in the picture). He'd been through a lot, had many problems and was not a fun-loving japester. I wrote him as a Champions Universe counterpoint to ZigZag.

I avoided calling him Proteus, because of the mutant character of the same name, although there's no reason you couldn't go with that. I trust no one is going to claim Marvel invented that name in the 70s!

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Protean (my Name the Hero entry for stretchy-guy now known as Commando Rubberbando), was quite serious (look at his expression in the picture). He'd been through a lot, had many problems and was not a fun-loving japester. I wrote him as a Champions Universe counterpoint to ZigZag.

I avoided calling him Proteus, because of the mutant character of the same name, although there's no reason you couldn't go with that. I trust no one is going to claim Marvel invented that name in the 70s!

Hehe...I too made Commando Rubberbando a counter to ZigZag -- his first heroic deed was against ZigZag, he has a rivalry w/ ZigZag, and he's still harrassed by the moniker "Black Gumby" by some media courtesy of ZigZag's smack-talking.

We seem to think a lot alike to a frightening degree ;)

Proteus IIRC was originally another name for Typhon, ancient god of the sea and of chaos --and I stress IIRC. To be "protean" is to be polymorphic, formless, shifting or lacking a true state, like Proteus himself.

This is scary. Longarm (My own humble submission) was pretty darn intense and lacking in humor about a lot of things. He didn't think his powers were "funny" and could and would take the head off folks who thought otherwise. And, yes, I made a note how he wouldn't like Zig Zag. ;)

I think a lot of people find the "zany Stretcher" a bit overdone judging by this thread :)

Originally posted by Hermit

I think a lot of people find the "zany Stretcher" a bit overdone judging by this thread :)

Probably 'cause just about every comic book stretchy hero is a zany, except Reed Richards. I think it's because it's such a *goofy* looking power in most cases... (though that liver-eater in X-Files was a creepy creature!)

I deliberately avoided any Hunteds, Rivalry or even backstory with ZigZag, but included a possible ZigZag goes straight (or does he?) plot seed, where he teamed up with Protean and proceeded to geton his nerves.

He took the Protean name because he regarded himself as a freak, (actually I don't think I explicitly referred to this reason for the name, although I did mention his alienation). The background was that he had a new girlfriend who accepted his problems (he has rubbery skin, so even ordinary contact with people was difficult for him) and she was helping him get over these feelings.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

He took the Protean name because he regarded himself as a freak, (actually I don't think I explicitly referred to this reason for the name, although I did mention his alienation). The background was that he had a new girlfriend who accepted his problems (he has rubbery skin, so even ordinary contact with people was difficult for him) and she was helping him get over these feelings.

Commando is relatively well adjusted, but his younger wife (he's over 50) couldnt take living with a freak and divorced him, taking custody of thier 3 children.

Originally posted by Brandi

Probably 'cause just about every comic book stretchy hero is a zany, except Reed Richards. I think it's because it's such a *goofy* looking power in most cases... (though that liver-eater in X-Files was a creepy creature!)

There was also a time in Justice League where Martian Manhunter had streching, and I do not think anyone has ever accused J'onn of being zany. Only character capible of making Batman say "Dude, lighten up!"

Originally posted by McCoy

There was also a time in Justice League where Martian Manhunter had streching, and I do not think anyone has ever accused J'onn of being zany. Only character capible of making Batman say "Dude, lighten up!"

Hasnt MM had just about every power at some point? :P