Who's the Smartest?

Dr. Anomaly

Originally posted by Gary

Doom, Luthor, etc are comic book characters and their opponents have script immunity.

I can easily say that a 50 int with a 20- tactics roll would expect the other person to goad him, and would incorporate it into his plans and set up a trap. If facing a 10 int tactician, he would constantly throw out surprises and change plans on the fly, thus forcing 10 int to do the same thing. And if both sides had to change their plans on the fly, 50 int wins easily.

An Arrogant Manic won't change his plan, though, because his plan is PREFECT, I TELL YOU, PREFECT! NO ONE QUESTIONS ME, LACKEY!

That's the point.

I think there's no question the 50 INT guy would be able to perceive things on the battlefield much more clearly IF he can overcome his arrogant preconceptions("There's no way they can foil this plan!"). So, a 20 EGO villain with a total committment lim needs an 8- to snap out of it and do what he needs to do to salvage his plan. Maybe less if it's blatantly obvious. I'd give him a small bonus to his ego roll if he makes the per roll by a lot.

Doom, Luthor, etc are comic book characters and their opponents have script immunity.

I can easily say that a 50 int with a 20- tactics roll would expect the other person to goad him, and would incorporate it into his plans and set up a trap. If facing a 10 int tactician, he would constantly throw out surprises and change plans on the fly, thus forcing 10 int to do the same thing. And if both sides had to change their plans on the fly, 50 int wins easily.

And yet, as we see in the source material (comics), they never do...

One huge advantage of the 50 int guy is his 19- perception roll vs the 11- perception roll of the 10 int guy. 50 int will be able to perceive when something goes wrong with his plans, whereas 10 int will tend to think everything is going according to plan even if it isn't.

ARGH!

CURSES! A double post! Throwing off my delicate operation and perfect record thus far on these boards....

No, wait, no way I could have made an error, some lackey must have slipped up.

*Decides the frickin sharks with lazer beams on their frickin heads will feast tonight....*

One huge advantage of the 50 int guy is his 19- perception roll vs the 11- perception roll of the 10 int guy. 50 int will be able to perceive when something goes wrong with his plans, whereas 10 int will tend to think everything is going according to plan even if it isn't.

It doesn't matter how impressive his PER roll is, he has that massive PsychLim in the way. Even if he might preceive taht his plan is going awry, he'll never be able to admit it to himself.

Originally posted by Kristopher

It doesn't matter how impressive his PER roll is, he has that massive PsychLim in the way. Even if he might preceive taht his plan is going awry, he'll never be able to admit it to himself.

Or he'll simply say: "Only an intellect as brilliant as mine would have caught that error in time." Then alter the plan and succeed anyway.

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

No, no, no. It's applied intelligence that matters. The smartest character in CU is ... Dr. Silverback! He was wise enough not to have become a villain just because he's stuck in an ape's body. And he has his priorities right. He lets ego-driven do-gooders such as Defender confront Mechanon and get the snot beaten out of them while he works a cushy research job and surrounds himself with lovely young assistants.

Is there a write-up of Silverback somewhere? He is described as "superhumanly intelligent" and since Teleios' 50 is peak of human capacity it suggests Silverback's could be even higher. I think we have to look at what characters have to work with and how well they achieve their goals. How long has Destroyer been trying to rule the world? How long has Mechanon been trying to destroy it? How long has Teleios worked at making it his own private lab? i don't think any hero could be most intelligent, they are all reactive and seem to have as a primary goal keeping things as they are. I think the villain who has shown himself to effective at achieving his goals, even when his resources have been minimal, is probably smarter than any of the others. Thus I propose, Dark Harlequin!!!