How common are guns

JmOz

Re: How common are guns

This is ridiculous. Nobody respond.

lol

I remember one of my early griefs about the old Superman show being how he'd strike a pose for the bullets, but duck under the empty guns being thrown at him.

Silly that. Don't respond to me, either.

I am thinking of giving a character a vulnerability to guns (not bullets)' date=' what level should it be at? The character is a tongue and cheek version of the TV superman, for those who care[/quote']

So what we are talking about a gun being used as a thrown weapon and/or to club a person, right?

I'd call it at best a -1/4. Even when guns do show up people rarely think to throw them. The occasional clubbing happens, but that would depend on on cinemagraphic your game is.

So what we are talking about a gun being used as a thrown weapon and/or to club a person, right?

I'd call it at best a -1/4. Even when guns do show up people rarely think to throw them. The occasional clubbing happens, but that would depend on on cinemagraphic your game is.

Yup, for clubbing or (the more common in the source material) throwing it

Well, how many points are you taking for the limitation? If you take 15 points for 1 1/2x STUN from thrown guns, then thrown guns will be common, since you have defined them as such. If you take a 5 point disadvantage, it will be pretty rare, again as you defined it that way.

Of course, the GM will have to assess whether this is reasonable in his game - if he doesn't want thrown guns to be a common occurence, he shouldn't allow you to take the disadvantage at that level.

Hey, it happened to the TV Superman pretty much every time, so it was pretty cmmon for him. I've never seen the DC Animated Supes get a gun tossed at him, so pretty rare in that campaign.

Now, you know, it is all about velocity. Evidently the Man of Steel's defenses work a lot like a Goa'uld force field... great for stopping high-velocity stuff... not so good for the lower velocity stuff (like thrown guns).

Makes perfect sense...

what? :ugly:

Hey it's the slow moving bowling ball example the small caliber high velocity crowd use to dismiss those who favor large caliber low velocity bullets (.45 ACP). But it proves the big bullet is best, even Superman agrees. :D

Ok, so maybe only the gun bunnies will get it

Something just struck me about the argument that the level at which one buys a vulnerability or susceptability determines how common it is (as opposed to vice versa.)

Does that mean that by taking such a disad at the "rare" or "uncommon" level I can gauarantee that my character WON'T have to face that effect very often?

Lucius Alexander

For me the palindromedary is ubiquitous...

Something just struck me about the argument that the level at which one buys a vulnerability or susceptability determines how common it is (as opposed to vice versa.)

Does that mean that by taking such a disad at the "rare" or "uncommon" level I can gauarantee that my character WON'T have to face that effect very often?

Lucius Alexander

The level of these limitation become something that you and the GM should work out together. Just because you price your Vulnerablility to Fire as rare/uncommon, does not mean that your GM can not send the character sheet back with a note telling you that Fire sfx attacks will be common or very common.

I think that the player has a right to expect the frequency of the disadvantage coming into play will match the frequency used to determine the point value of the disadvantage.

The GM should look at the frequency selected and, if it doesn't match his expectations for the game, should discuss this with the player before the character is finalized.

true, and it is always easy to up the commonality, I mean if superman had a hunted: Kryptonite man 14- then glowing green rocks may be common

If he has 2-3 high likely hunteds all who use kryptonite, it might even be Verry Common

If the GM let's you take it at that frequency that's what it should mean. Of course the GM would be within his rights to say "No, you would be facing the proximity of iron more often than Rarely so you can't take it at Rare". Obviously GM and player need to get on the same page.

I'll chime in with the "Buy it as a vulnerability and work out with the Ref at what level you should buy it" crowd.

As an aside, I've got a Golden Age character that has 7d6 of Hand Attack bought with his gun as the focus, for when he uses it as a club. :)

Lucius Alexander

No, because it will happen as often as dictated by the Disadvantage. Then it will happen as often as it was going to anyway.