Seven Wonders of the Totalitarian World

Susano

I'm putting this here, as it seems to fit best with the Danger International feel of 5th Edition Dark Champions.

hands-of-victory-baghdad-iraq.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/7totalitarianwonders

They are:

1. Fist Crushing U.S. Fighter Plane, Libya
  2. Monument to President Laurent Kabila, Democratic Republic of Congo
  3. Lenin’s Mausoleum, Russia
  4. Monument to President Saparmurat Niyazov, Turkmenistan
  5. Mao Leading the Chinese People’s Liberation Army, China
  6. The Hands of Victory, Iraq
  7. Monument to the Founding of the North Korean Worker's Party, North Korea

Re: Seven Wonders of the Totalitarian World

Great Lenin's Ghost!!! :eek:

Makes you wonder... doesn't it?

Ooooh... that's why they are called The Seven "Wonders" of the Totalitarian World. They make you "wonder" why. :snicker:

I don't wonder why. I think "Compensation complex". Seriously. So many of these guys (and gals - not to forget Ceausescu's wife) not only build giant ugly monuments, but they publish books, or plays, or scientific publications - and then ensure everybody reads them by making it the law.

The words "seriously expletive-deleted up" springs to mind.

cheers, Mark

I don't wonder why. I think "Compensation complex". Seriously. So many of these guys (and gals - not to forget Ceausescu's wife) not only build giant ugly monuments, but they publish books, or plays, or scientific publications - and then ensure everybody reads them by making it the law.

The words "seriously expletive-deleted up" springs to mind.

cheers, Mark

Yeah, here in the US we don't do stuff like that... we just try and get somethin in all 3,000+ counties named after Ronald Reagan.... Wait.... :help:

Like when all the communist sh*t was tossed away and burned and shtuff' date=' I thought it was like [b']EVERYTHING[/b]. Seriously, like Lenin was the most hated human ever in Russia then and why'd they keep his carcass around?

Being Born-Again Capitalist they recognized the value of a tourist attraction?

Being Born-Again Capitalist they recognized the value of a tourist attraction?

Also, I think there's some confusion here over the post-communist eastern European countries where statues of Russians - like Lenin and Stalin - were torn down, and post-communist Russia - where they pretty much all stayed up, or were moved to less conspicuous locations.

cheers, Mark

I drive past this every month or two; I used to live about a 20-minute walk from it. It is tolerated, I think, because of the delicious irony. And it's very cool.

I have no idea how many drunken urinations occur against it every weekend, but considering the location, the number must be nontrivial.

I drive past this every month or two; I used to live about a 20-minute walk from it. It is tolerated, I think, because of the delicious irony. And it's very cool.

I have no idea how many drunken urinations occur against it every weekend, but considering the location, the number must be nontrivial.

Dude I had no idea...Funny...

Wow. That is like freaky as hell. OMG, that's one a the crazyest things I've like ever seen.

Wow. That is like freaky as hell. OMG' date=' that's one a the crazyest things I've like ever seen.[/quote']

The Forest statue is the one that gets me.

Though if I had extra cash to throw away, I'd be tempted to ship the Lenin statue to Utah...

Out of curiousity, is the statue facing west? In the gaming group I was with about 8 years or so ago, one of the players would mention that Lenin swore that either he or his statues would never point to the west. I don't know if it's an urban legend, something he made up, or the truth, but I'd find it funny if this statue faced west.

Err' date=' maybe I'm just stupid but I don't see nothing called no "Forest Statue". What I miss?[/quote']

Statue of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest, CSA officer and founder of the KKK. It is mentioned and linked to, in this link: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WASEAlenin.html

Out of curiousity' date=' is the statue facing west? In the gaming group I was with about 8 years or so ago, one of the players would mention that Lenin swore that either he or his statues would never point to the west. I don't know if it's an urban legend, something he made up, or the truth, but I'd find it funny if this statue faced west.[/quote']

The closest cardinal direction to its facing is west. Probably a little north of due west, looking at a map and thinking about where the statue is.

Of course, here, that could well be the direction of the shortest path to Russia. I am certain that would be purest accident.

Statue of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest' date=' CSA officer and founder of the KKK. It is mentioned and linked to, in this link: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WASEAlenin.html[/quote']

OK. I didn't follow the link cause I'm like soooo much don't want to hear about the KKK. But I read it now so like I understand.

Also' date=' I think there's some confusion here over the post-communist eastern European countries where statues of [b']Russians[/b] - like Lenin and Stalin - were torn down, and post-communist Russia - where they pretty much all stayed up, or were moved to less conspicuous locations.

cheers, Mark

To be precise, the statues of Stalin were torn down in the 1950s during de-Stalinization, with one or two exceptions like the one outside the Stalin Museum in his hometown of Gory in Georgia. The Lenins are mostly kept as historical monuments. There is one three blocks from my apartment.

The government floats the idea of burying Lenin every couple of years, then there are protests (mostly from elderly people), and then they decide to postpone it again.

Stalin was actually a Georgian, wasn't he?

And I wouldn't say Lenin was the most hated person in Russia at the fall of the Union. Stalin could have been less liked by far.

Lenin had been dead for 60+ years in 1991. Nobody had any stong feelings about him one way or the other.

Stalin was Georgian and spoke Russian with a strong accent.