COPS, CREWS, AND CABALS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Guest Goradin

Re: COPS, CREWS, AND CABALS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Sounds good, so far.

I love mercenaries and agencies more so for the villians than the heroes. I hope 2/3 at least is for bad guys and 1/3 for support agencies.

I think a body jacking agency would be a nice group of bad guys. I am still hoping we get a Fourth or Fifth Reich of racist bad guys who are trying to bring back the Nazis. Nazis in game are like drug dealers in real life no one cares if you beat them up.

Personally, I don't need every agency in the comics with an equivalent in the HERO Universe. I do like Taskmaster and think rental villians isn't a bad idea, though. We are a little weak on space related agencies too. I have Super Agents but Space Agencies in it were way out of place there as there was little alien activity at that time in the game and we had METE. That agency may be best in the galactic book, Champions beyond, perhaps.

I was hoping for IHA and Argent tid bits too but you can't win em all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRIMUS - time to bite the bullet and really show them off. Or just add adventure ideas for their involvement. Also Super-Crimes Task Force.

Hmmm...

QM

PRIMUS is, I believe, still controlled by Shelley Mactyre and any further books on it would be from her.

PRIMUS is' date=' I believe, still controlled by Shelley Mactyre and any further books on it would be from her.[/quote']

Which is really, really, really wrong headed.

PRIMUS is DOJ property that should have been updated to 5th Edition years ago. It really should have come out around the same time as VIPER, UNTIL and DEMON. It one of the big four organizations with the Champions Universe since the beginning.

While Shelley Mactyre did great work on PRIMUS, that was in August 1998, almost 10 years ago. Visit her website and you will see that nothing game related has been updated since 2002-2003. She is a new mother and practicing lawyer, unless we hear different it is extreme doubtful that she has a new PRIMUS book ready for publishing.

Also keep in mind that the Champions Universe is very different from the 4th Edition one that existed back when the PRIMUS sourcebook was published in 1998. It would need some work bring it in line to the current setting.

Strong suggest that Steve Long just write a new PRIMUS book or hire Scott Bennie (see his great work on Agents of Freedom).

PRIMUS is DOJ property that should have been updated to 5th Edition years ago. It really should have come out around the same time as VIPER, UNTIL and DEMON. It one of the big four organizations with the Champions Universe since the beginning.

Oh. I didn't think DOJ owned PRIMUS, I thought Shelley did. My bad.

As for Shelley's current gaming ventures she is working on Regency Hero.

Oh. I didn't think DOJ owned PRIMUS' date=' I thought Shelley did. My bad.[/quote']

No problem.

PRIMUS was first introduced, along with DEMON in the Organization Book #2, put out in 1985, by Andrew Robinson.

Then both were updated to 4th Edition in 1991 within the pages of Classic Organizations.

Shelly's ebook for PRIMUS was released in 1998.

DEMON has seen its' update to 5th Edition with DEMON: Servants of Darkness in 2004.

To my knowledge there was been nothing on PRIMUS beyond a copy of pages in various books since 5th Edition's launch.

Re: The Costume Shop

How about giving a small section devoted to small agencies? Something like a glossary of businesses and such? Might fit in something akin to that ...

I'd like to heartily second this idea. The concept has worked really well in Hidden Lands, Worlds Of Empire, and other books, and giving a few sketches of things that seem like they'd logically exist and might come in handy for a few GMs but don't quite warrant full write-ups for one reason or another can only help to flesh out the book. Not only the tailor/costume maker, but the information broker, forensics lab, support organization, and management service seem to me like they'd be appropriate for such a section.

I am still hoping we get a Fourth or Fifth Reich of racist bad guys who are trying to bring back the Nazis. Nazis in game are like drug dealers in real life no one cares if you beat them up.

If so, then I hope whoever does it takes a gander at Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke's book of Nazi weirdness Black Sun. The chapters on "The SS Mysteries" and "Nazi UFOs and Antarctica" alone are chock-full of delightfully delirious adventure ideas.

Superpowers Support Society: Not everyone who develops superpowers dress up in long underwear and becomes a superhero or supervillain. Some folks have no interest in that and just want to live a normal life. Some band together to share information about their rights' date=' ways of coping with abilities or making a legal buck. So someone with superspeed who does not want to be a hero or villain, but is interested in being a courier, here is where he would turn for help.[/quote']

"Hi my name is Harold Harper and I'm a metahuman."

"So doctor, I've been having these dreams. In them I'm working as an accountant, in a tiny cubicle, from 9 am to 5 pm. I then drive in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes to my home in the suburbs where my wife and two kids give me a hug every night."

"And how does this make you feel, Captain Freedom?"

These are both great ideas. Rep for you both.

Hmm, reading them, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen this in Astro City as yet. It sure sounds like something right up Busiek's alley.

EDIT: *sigh* Or I WILL give PA rep when I can...

Well poo. I understand that my ideas weren't quite in line with the concept with the book. Still I would have liked to see some more detail on some of the smaller organizations and groups in the CU. Oh well.

I will have to check out G&G for the power armor though...

A super resort and a henchmen brokerage are really good ideas, I'm glad to see these being consider. I love the bar idea too.

I'd like to heartily second this idea. The concept has worked really well in Hidden Lands' date=' [i']Worlds Of Empire[/i], and other books, and giving a few sketches of things that seem like they'd logically exist and might come in handy for a few GMs but don't quite warrant full write-ups for one reason or another can only help to flesh out the book. Not only the tailor/costume maker, but the information broker, forensics lab, support organization, and management service seem to me like they'd be appropriate for such a section.

I agree, I was about to suggest something similar.

Given all these new organizations, many of whom will just happen to have a presence in Campaign City, it would still be nice to have a list of who fills similar roles in other parts of the US and the world.

For example, if Trans-City Construction is the major reconstruction firm in Millenium City, it would be nice to know who fills that same niche in other parts of the US and the world. If my campaign is set on the west coast, I might ditch the official company listed for the west coast and give TCC an office here, but I'd like to keep the rest of the CU world consistent. So a list of who's who and what's what everywhere would be helpful.

You might even suggest that GMs do exactly that. Use the detailed organization in their own campaign, and use the list for other parts of the world for campaign background and flavor.

PRIMUS is DOJ property that should have been updated to 5th Edition years ago.

While I agree partially, I think it's very kind that DOJ has been reserving this project for Mrs. Mactyre.

What DOJ should do is add another organization that fills the same niche, then allow Shelly to write the new PRIMUS stuff on her own time. It would take any pressure off her, and allow the CU to have an organization fills an important role.

While I agree partially, I think it's very kind that DOJ has been reserving this project for Mrs. Mactyre.

What DOJ should do is add another organization that fills the same niche, then allow Shelly to write the new PRIMUS stuff on her own time. It would take any pressure off her, and allow the CU to have an organization fills an important role.

Another alternative: if neither Steve nor Shelley object, I'd be happy to set aside my work on Space Wizards and put the book together.

While Shelley Mactyre did great work on PRIMUS, that was in August 1998, almost 10 years ago. Visit her website and you will see that nothing game related has been updated since 2002-2003. She is a new mother and practicing lawyer, unless we hear different it is extreme doubtful that she has a new PRIMUS book ready for publishing.

Also keep in mind that the Champions Universe is very different from the 4th Edition one that existed back when the PRIMUS sourcebook was published in 1998. It would need some work bring it in line to the current setting.

Strong suggest that Steve Long just write a new PRIMUS book or hire Scott Bennie (see his great work on Agents of Freedom).

I'd love to see a PRIMUS book written by Shelley. Barring Shelley (or Steve), I'd pay for one written by Hermit. Bob would be good too.

No problem.

PRIMUS was first introduced, along with DEMON in the Organization Book #2, put out in 1985, by Andrew Robinson.

Then both were updated to 4th Edition in 1991 within the pages of Classic Organizations.

Shelly's ebook for PRIMUS was released in 1998.

DEMON has seen its' update to 5th Edition with DEMON: Servants of Darkness in 2004.

To my knowledge there was been nothing on PRIMUS beyond a copy of pages in various books since 5th Edition's launch.

Well, there have been a few articles for 5E PRIMUS in Digital Hero, a couple of them written by Shelley (along the lines of "updates" to her e-book). They're all apparently set in the current official CU, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll become canon.

Digital Hero #2: PRIMUS Updates and New Divisions: VIPER Task Force, Public Relations, and the Wizards. (by Shelley Chrystal Mactyre)

Digital Hero #6: PRIMUS UPDATE - PORTLAND

PRIMUS opens a new base on the West Coast, and opens up its files on personnel, equipment, and even floorplans. (by Shelley Chrystal Mactyre)

Digital Hero #37: RESPONSE FORCE ONE

PRIMUS got tired of lagging behind in the superhuman arms race, so established their own on-staff team. (by John Ivicek, Jr.)

The Cult of the Red Banner needs far more coverage than I can give it in this book. It needs to wait for a more appropriate venue.

Yes' date=' I'm afraid so. Unless we cover China in greater detail in some book down the line, I don't have any plans to write up any more of these guys than are covered in VVV.[/quote']

I'd like to say here that I'd love to see The Martial World come out, maybe in 2009? It would be the perfect place to cover these sorts of things. :D

You know, I'd like to see Scott handle a Super Agents book kind of like the old sourcebook of the same name. Maybe cover Primus, as well as others in it as well :) Or, maybe have Scott be the lead writer with several other writers working on individual agencies.

I'd like to say here that I'd love to see The Martial World come out' date=' maybe in 2009? It would be the perfect place to cover these sorts of things. :D[/quote']

Said it before, say it again: the Martial World in the official Champions Universe has more than enough background to fill out a sourcebook comparable to The Mystic World. Cult of the Red Banner, Tournament of the Dragon, Yengtao Temple, Shamballah, Agharti, international martial artist heroes and villains, alien martial artists (Malvan gladiators! Nekhojin!), mythic/alien/super martial art styles, powers, weapons, and artifacts... that would sing! :bounce:

(Please excuse yet another thread derail.) :o

Said it before' date=' say it again: the Martial World in the official Champions Universe has more than enough background to fill out a sourcebook comparable to [i']The Mystic World[/i]. Cult of the Red Banner, Tournament of the Dragon, Yengtao Temple, Shamballah, Agharti, international martial artist heroes and villains, alien martial artists (Malvan gladiators! Nekhojin!), mythic/alien/super martial art styles, powers, weapons, and artifacts... that would sing! :bounce:

(Please excuse yet another thread derail.) :o

Not to mention a good place for Seeker to show up :D

what? ;)

How about a paranormal version of the professional thief crews we often see in films? Heat, Ronin, Oceans Eleven, and The Italian Job (or the remake) spring to mind.

The current 'thievy' crews (GRAB etc) don't seem to have the right sort of professionalism - I may be wrong. It should be a tight group where members were recruited specifically for their professional attitude as well as appropriate powers to fulfill one of the necessary heist roles.

Just a thought...

• 3 months later...