Villain's Super Weapons - To Build or Not To Build?

Captain Emu

Hi all,

I have set about finally statting up some of my cosmic-level villains and stopped when I got to a particular gent I call Tauron, the World Breaker.

The problem I ran into with Tauron and then, in my head, with future villains is whether or not it is worth the time and effort (and points) to stat up their uber-weapons or if it best to just leave them as story elements.

In Tauron's case, he is a stellar menace who moves through the stars ripping apsrtp lanets, not to eat them or cosume their energy but as raw materials to use in the construction of a weapon to fend off a coming cataclysmic cosmic invasion. Yes, a bit bent, but cosmic villains often are.

So what are the thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Re: Villain's Super Weapons - To Build or Not To Build?

I don't see why you'd stat it out...at most a "better not ever let it be used" weopon is a partial stat...RKA 8D6 Mega scale,AE:1 Hex, Megascale range, Contines, Uncontrolled...etc

Just enough to have an idea of what it does.....and for me "Destroys Planets" is all I need to remember...;)

That was my thought but I am one of those people who always thinks that somebody is going to try to throw their character in front of it or try to harnass all the energy and in a cosmic game, there might just be characters that can do it.

That was my thought but I am one of those people who always thinks that somebody is going to try to throw their character in front of it or try to harnass all the energy and in a cosmic game' date=' there might just be characters that can do it.[/quote']

In that case, I'd just decide on Active Points, Damage Class and Defense (assuming it's a Focus) of the weapon. That should be about all the PCs would interact with.

That was my thought but I am one of those people who always thinks that somebody is going to try to throw their character in front of it or try to harnass all the energy and in a cosmic game' date=' there might just be characters that can do it.[/quote']

Put an Only vs Planets limitation on it :) Won't affect the PCs at all then.

I don't build such things. It is a good idea to have an idea of the effect if a PC does wind up caught in it - what sort of lightning damage might the storms kicked up by the weather dominator do, how much of an entangle if zapped by the freeze ray, etc. but overall it's literally a plot device.

Do what I do... post a thread asking people how they would build something. Sure, some will say 'It's a plot device, don't sweat it', but others won't be able to help themselves, and soon will have constructed a dozen variations on how to get what you want.

Slave labor, my friend, and it can be yours if you learn how to manipulate these suc...

errr.. politely ask the good forumites here at HERO games for their invaluable aid :o

;)

Yah, the technical guys here are great!

But I wouldn't bother with exact stats beyond those that may come up during play (DEF, BODY - type and total energy that can be absorbed etc.) It's all about the drama in the case of "THE END OF THE WORLD!!!" ;)

i think it would depend on the device its self and what you planned the heroes o do about it if its something instantly destructive like an orbital death ray the its just a plot device and the only thing you would need to write up is the sort of damage they might take from say

tearing out the power cabling or smashing the beam collimator.

on th other hand something like a zombie virus mid control ray etc should be written up at least to state roughly what the zombie/mind slaves would be like when they attack the heroes and how fast the effect spreads.

Finally a slow acting natural disaster type weapon like say a ice storm cannon would be good to write up how long it takes to take effect what kind of damage will happen at different stages in this case the weapon its self is probably a fairly simple change environment.

but you can add environmental problems like giant hail and icicles as well as ice covered streets and trapped citizens each with there own write ups to distract the heroes from there final goal.