Looking for Cthulhoid Monsters/races

Captain Liberty

I'm going to be visiting with a bunch of folks I used to play Hero system with this weekend. I came up with the following idea.

Each player is playing a character from a previous campaign (possibly each from a different campaign). However, they have no real memory of that - they are essentially in their secret/normal IDs and all they know is that they have come to a town "where time has stood still" to investigate possible supernatural phenomena. What has happened is that they have entered a zone where the main villain (one or more Cultist mad sorcerers) has taken control of reality in order to perform a magical ritual that will bring the Mad Old Ones to this reality. The PCs will start out as normals and every time they run into a sanity challenging situation, there is a chance that one of their special abilities/powers will manifest and a bit of their memory will return. Eventually they will stop the mad sorcerers.

This could be a mega-week campaign but I only have one evening, so shortcuts must be taken. I also don't have a lot of time to work up monsters and such.

So to get to the point, does anyone have any writeups of Cthuhlhoid monsters and races that I can use?

And if anyone has any ideas for encounters and such, please pass them along.

Thanks,

Re: Looking for Cthulhoid Monsters/races

So to get to the point, does anyone have any writeups of Cthuhlhoid monsters and races that I can use?

Thanks,

Take a look here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/creatures.html

Creatures from the fiction of Robert E Howard and from the

RPG Call Of Chuthulu.....Plus a few others to inspire your

imagination. :D

-Carl-

Here's one I made, but he's clearly a master villain-level character.

Ks'thml'prt, AKA "He With No Vowels"

Val Char Cost

150 STR 140

20 DEX 30

40 CON 60

30 BODY 40

40 INT 30

40 EGO 60

50 PRE 40

-30 COM 10

60 PD 0

60 ED 22

8 SPD 50

45 REC 14

125 END 23

175 STUN 50

0" RUN -12

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP -30

Characteristics Cost: 525

Cost Power

5 Tentacles: Extra Limbs (100)

60 Mortals Cannot Harm Him: Armor (30 PD/30 ED) (90 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

22 Mortals Cannot Harm Him: Mental Defense (30 points total)

30 Mortals Cannot Harm Him: Power Defense (30 points)

75 Mortals Cannot Harm Him: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED/30 Mental Def./30 Flash Def./30 Power Def.)

30 You Cannot Hide From Him: Mental Group Flash Defense (30 points)

66 He Knows All: Mental Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Concealed (-5 with Mental Awareness PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Perceive into any dimension, Rapid: x10, Targeting, Telescopic: +1, Tracking, Transmit

68 Your Attacks Mean Nothing: Healing 10 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (187 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

60 You Cannot Harm Me: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%

60 You Cannot Harm Me: Mental Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%

60 You Cannot Harm Me: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%

20 There Is No Fault To His Power: Lack Of Weakness (-20) for Resistant Defenses

60 You Cannot Fell Him: Knockback Resistance -30"

51 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

102 He Is Everywhere: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Point in Time, Any Physical Location), Position Shift, Safe Blind Travel (+1/4) (102 Active Points)

200 Vile Sorcery: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 80 base + 120 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (200 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 969

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 160 STR for holding on

4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 34d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

3 Grappling Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 32d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

Martial Arts Cost: 10

Cost Skill

64 +8 with All Combat

50 +5 Overall Skill Levels

3 Analyze: Magic 17-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: History (3 Active Points) 17-

2 2) KS: Magic (3 Active Points) 17-

2 3) KS: Necromancy (3 Active Points) 17-

2 4) KS: Prophecies (3 Active Points) 17-

Skills Cost: 128

Cost Perk

51 Contact: The Cult of Ks'thml'prt (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact is slavishly loyal to character), Organization Contact (x3) (51 Active Points) 18-

95 Followers (150/150, 5000 Followers)

10 Reputation: Ancient Demigod With Near Infinite Power (The Cult of Ks'thml'prt And Anyone Aware Of It) 14-, +10/+10d6

Perks Cost: 156

Cost Talent

20 Universal Translator 17-

52 Danger Sense (any area, any danger, Analyze, Discriminatory, Function as a Sense) 17-

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Bump Of Direction

Talents Cost: 86

Total Character Cost: 1874

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Physical Limitation: Massive (1.074^11 kg, 3000 m Wide, Immobile Except By Extra-Dimensional Movement, +20 to Perception) (All the Time, Fully Impairing)

25 Psychological Limitation: Wants To Rule The Multiverse (Very Common, Total)

25 Psychological Limitation: Regards All Life As Worthless (Very Common, Total)

15 Reputation: Ancient Demigod of Almost Infinite Power, 14- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

25 Distinctive Features: Massive Monster With A Hundred Tentacles (Not Concealable; Utter Terror; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: True Name (Unpronouncable By The Human Tounge) (Occasionally, Severe)

15 Susceptibility: Every Time His True Name Is Spoken, 3d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 145

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 1529

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

NOTES: ED and PD charateristics have Armor figured in.

Thanks,

Here's a thought:

In the center of town is a clocktower. The square around it lies

silent. The undeniable feeling of being watched bears down on our

heroes. One of them finally notices that the hands of the clock,

which they all had thought was broken and had stopped, are

moving....backwards. They begin to hear the sound of something

moving up in the tower. They catch a glimpse of at least one

man-like shape. Investigating (after all, isn't that what heroes

do ?) they climb up into the clockworks, dodging the gears and

escapments. The mechanisms rock back and forth, as tho'

marking time, yet no sound comes from the clockworks. Then, from

out of the shadows appear several of these:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/games/coc/shambler.html

The combat is joined. The heroes must deal with both foes who

can vanish, dragging party members with them and the potentially

narrow catwalks and pathways within the clocktower, avoiding

being crushed by the clockworks and/or falling several stories

to the ground below.

My initial $.02US. YMMV. :ugly:

-Carl-

You could probably borrow a few encounters and creatures from Allen Varney's classic 4E HERO, Lovecraftian horror/supers adventure:

ANOPHELES: Atrocities From Beyond

I've played in that adventure. Truly classic, very Lovecraftian, but too post-Apocalyptic for me. This is supposed to be pre-apocalypse, with a chance of staving off the apocalypse.:)

Take a look here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/creatures.html

Creatures from the fiction of Robert E Howard and from the

RPG Call Of Chuthulu.....Plus a few others to inspire your

imagination. :D

-Carl-

Thanks for the assist. As my Magic Card says (paraphrased) if you want it, "Surbrook's Stuff" probably has a write-up for it. :D

Thanks for the assist. As my Magic Card says (paraphrased) if you want it' date=' "Surbrook's Stuff" probably has a write-up for it. :D[/quote']

Really? I want an official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

I'm going to be visiting with a bunch of folks I used to play Hero system with this weekend. I came up with the following idea.

Each player is playing a character from a previous campaign (possibly each from a different campaign). However, they have no real memory of that - they are essentially in their secret/normal IDs and all they know is that they have come to a town "where time has stood still" to investigate possible supernatural phenomena. What has happened is that they have entered a zone where the main villain (one or more Cultist mad sorcerers) has taken control of reality in order to perform a magical ritual that will bring the Mad Old Ones to this reality. The PCs will start out as normals and every time they run into a sanity challenging situation, there is a chance that one of their special abilities/powers will manifest and a bit of their memory will return. Eventually they will stop the mad sorcerers.

This could be a mega-week campaign but I only have one evening, so shortcuts must be taken. I also don't have a lot of time to work up monsters and such.

Thanks,

I ran a WWII supers game where the players went against various cthuhlu-inspired critters. Ended up using more Nightgaunts than anything ;)

Anything for the King in Yellow? I have a great M&M writeup' date=' but would like a real Champions one.[/quote']Hey Steve, I've got a Champions writeup of this somewhere in my hoard at home. I'll dig around for it when I get home tonight, and I'll post it if I can find it. :) (I moved recently, and my gaming stuff is still scattered hither and yon...)

From memory, there were a couple of Cthulhu-ish critters in some of the Champions/Superworld scenarios that appeared in Different Worlds back in the 80s.

I'm mildly surprised that Steve didn't write them. :)

There was an "almost a nightgaunt" and a "big wormy thing", IIRC. In separate articles.

Actually, I may very well have written them. I remember them, even. Unfortunately, I also sold off all my Different Worlds issues in past years when I was short on funds.

Any hard copies I kept for myself are either buried after three moves or discarded as never going to be used. Electronic copies are in an OS (CPM) that my computer does not read.

Actually' date=' I may very well have written them. I remember them, even. Unfortunately, I also sold off all my [i']Different Worlds[/i] issues in past years when I was short on funds.

Starving artists. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

;)

According to http://www.diffworlds.com/dw_25-36.htm the articles I am remembering were in issues 32 and 35. The first one was "Threat of the Nighthaunt: A Superhero Adventure for Superworld and Champions" by Jon Mattson. The second one is one of yours:

"Module for Superworld, Champions, V&V: The Star-Devourer".

As it happens, the latter is online! I don't know if it is authorised or not, but at least it might be useful to you. The "big wormie thing" is 1181 points! In 1984! :eek:

The second one is one of yours:

"Module for Superworld, Champions, V&V: The Star-Devourer".

As it happens, the latter is online! I don't know if it is authorised or not, but at least it might be useful to you. The "big wormie thing" is 1181 points! In 1984! :eek:

Hmm...If I am reading it correctly, that is just the Exp the critter

needs to balance. The total is listed two lines up from that:

1536 !!!!!!! Yeeeps:eek:

-Carl-

Dholes devour planets. There was no hyperbole in that title.

As for sketchpad's question, the game never happened. Half of the old friends who showed up haven't played RPGs of any sort since before I left the Bay Area 12 years ago. We ended up playing Arkham Horror straight. So now I have a scenario handy...

Hey Steve' date=' I've got a Champions writeup of this somewhere in my hoard at home. I'll dig around for it when I get home tonight, and I'll post it if I can find it. :) (I moved recently, and my gaming stuff is still scattered hither and yon...)[/quote']

I'm still very interested, Derek.

I'm still very interested' date=' Derek.[/quote']Hey Steve, I'm sorry to say I've struck out. :( I'm 98% sure it was in an adventure in a magazine article, but I've checked every issue I have of Adventurer's Club, Digital Hero, Haymaker!, and EZ Hero, and I can't find it. I've either lost my mind, or lost the magazine that had it (either is possible, I suppose).

Sorry man! :(