WWCYD: Lethal Force is Authorized

Powerhouse

Re: WWCYD: Lethal Force is Authorized

Unless your guy is a snotty-attitude android in the form of a ten year old boy' date=' I'd say it's just a case of me being a fan of the Buggles and not some weird convergent creation.[/quote']

My god, it's like they're clones!

Well, except mine's female, 16, daughter of the hero The Human Dynamo... But aside from that, they might just be twins! :D

Jaguar Pequino even in a situation where lethal force is authorized tends to stay away from using it. It's part of the animal in her and she tried to keep that from the surface as it still scares her because there are still points where she's practically relishing killing something.

Corona is pretty much in the same boat before and after she's not paticularly lethal at any time.

Quantum could easily be lethal in dealing with the aliens. Probably will be if he actually is fighting them but more than likely when the fighting actually occurs he will be doing things that destroy the alien support structure.

Snapdragon isn't paticularly lethal either. Since she'd spend alot of her time sowing discord using her shapeshifting powers her tactics probably wouldn't change much. Although her sowing discord would probably become more spectacular.

Natasha I've always thought of as having an attitude like the (pre time-war) Doctor - always looks for an alternative and only would kill as a absolute last resort in the defense of others. That said, she's probably not had a lot of time to engage the enemy, since there's a ton of other tanks to do the heavy lifting, but a Super-Genius would be much more effective working the scientific angle behind the scenes

Great Beyond is a sentimental old thing. She very much lives by the Lone Ranger code, that super heroes do not kill, that they should set a good example for others.

Scarlet Arrow is the only character of the list that actually bought a doesn't kill limitation, going so far to actually a vegetarian and really tries to do as little harm to others as possible. Only one of her attacks actually does damage - the rest are drains and flashes and entangles and so on. She wouldn’t kill period, hands down Of course she has no powers, just a bunch of trick arrows, so she'd be so far outclassed in any wide scale conflict it wouldn’t be funny. She'd probably be better working underground or something.

Olorin-He's a blasted medieval! At last he gets to kill anything he wants with government approval, but knowing him, call it total war once the first civillian gets killed and go off every alien in sight, government approval or not. He only does not kill because he would be considered a villain. Otherwise all killer supervillains he could kill once defeated, he would - and leave body parts behind as a warning! (and maybe carry the head around until it's unrecognizable as further warning!:eg:)

Black Tiger Was in the military and would consider this war, declared or not. I'm not sure of the exact quote by General Patton, but believe it goes: "You do not win a war by dying for your country. You win it by making the other poor bastard die for his country." He would act according to this quote.

Volt Has a reluctance to killing - but they started it and only death will stop it - ours or theirs. He would kill, but with some regret. Dialog is not an option according to their own words.

Interesting responses so far, thank you.

Just some clarifications if needed:

1. As noted by an earlier poster: authorized doesn't mean requiredd.

2. There isn't going to be any retribution against heroes who have already killed aliens in combat. Instead, it's more of a reminder that the law against murder doesn't apply in the situation. The overall idea was to put the characters in an extreme position AND remove the legal ramifications.

"Volt Has a reluctance to killing - but they started it and only death will stop it - ours or theirs. He would kill, but with some regret. Dialog is not an option according to their own words."

3. It should be noted that killing all the aliens isn't the only option here, it's just that they aren't accepting less than total surrender for the purposes of enslaving humanity. Beat them badly enough and you can make them retreat and perhaps covince them that Earth is too tough. Of course, taking off the kid gloves, slaughtering some aliens, and going all total war might be one of the easier ways to accomplish this goal.

Quoting:

Katana: Aliens arent People so killing them isnt wrong no matter how many of them I get.

You just hurt the feelings of one of my characters Nov

:(

Jungle Boy: Balthasar Numen is one of a family of super heroes and they'd be at the forefront of any Earth defence. At first he would be reluctant to kill the aliens but after the first major sign of mass destruction he would focus all his martial arts ability to stopping the invasion at any cost. He would probably be working with his father and other family on infiltrating the mother ship and taking them out from above the planet.

Perepis: She prides herself on her cool-headedness (others say 'cold heart') so she would be fine with the new orders, although her telepathic powers generally only work on humans. She'd probably be spending a fair amount of XP on expanding her powers to affect alien minds.

Whisper: Still something of an outsider, Whisper would likely be huddled with some other survivors at street level and would be using his sonic powers as best he could. If he could use them to kill the aliens he would.

Tribe: Being a duplicator, Tribe most likely be using his dupes as cannon fodder on the front lines. He would quickly become a bit jaded with the killing and would move with most of the other super heroes and accept the lethal force authority. He would probably be better used in infiltration as well, possibly even into the internment camps where he could duplicate and cause havoc from within.

Interesting responses so far, thank you.

"Volt Has a reluctance to killing - but they started it and only death will stop it - ours or theirs. He would kill, but with some regret. Dialog is not an option according to their own words."

3. It should be noted that killing all the aliens isn't the only option here, it's just that they aren't accepting less than total surrender for the purposes of enslaving humanity. Beat them badly enough and you can make them retreat and perhaps covince them that Earth is too tough. Of course, taking off the kid gloves, slaughtering some aliens, and going all total war might be one of the easier ways to accomplish this goal.

Let's see... cities razed, millions dead, want slaves, total surrender, wants resources. Dialog is not an option. Do we need to kill them all? Nope. And how would you "Beat them badly enough" without killing at least some? Unless they are only in for the profit and you drain their profit. Oddly enough, a forceful enough response that includes killing some of them may result in less total deaths; ours and theirs. After all, death is not profitable (unless you are killing beings they want dead - what an interesting thought.)

Seer: Killing is so final Once he deduced how to get in their minds, live prisoners for intel, to send back as mentally reprogrammed spies work so much better. But he'd have no problem disrupting an enemy assualt using mind scan and mental illusions or mind control to have the aliens unleash their weapons on each other.

Blaze: Would tell the Aliens he has declared war on them, and only total surrendur will save them. If he can find an homeweold, he might stage a counter-attack to draw off forces.

Hornet: finds killing the result of failing to properly think through a situation. You cant learn from the dead; you can't change their mind. You can't exchange them for prisoners or hostages. You can't gain negotiating points. Hornet would not join the aliens in inhuman behavior unless he could not save innocent lives any other way.

Let's see... cities razed' date=' millions dead, want slaves, total surrender, wants resources. Dialog is not an option. Do we need to kill them all? Nope. And how would you "Beat them badly enough" without killing at least some? Unless they are only in for the profit and you drain their profit. Oddly enough, a forceful enough response that includes killing some of them may result in less total deaths; ours [b']and[/b] theirs. After all, death is not profitable (unless you are killing beings they want dead - what an interesting thought.)

Well, in Nox's case, it's very, very unlikely most of that has happened. (Precog for disasters, enough teleportation she can move the Earth if she wanted to, let alone evacing cities, and internment camps wouldn't last for any length of time, and is capable of moving heroes out to the ships or moving the ships away.) If it has happened, it's likely over Nox's severely injured body, and happening when she has to heal. In which case, her teammates are likely doing quite well enough on the killing the Aliens and driving them back while she is helping on Earth.

When she was lower powered... again, she'd likely be helping with supply lines and rescuing people from the camps and the danger zones, which is perfectly valid wartime work.

Luna Moth hates the idea of killing other sapients, but she also hates the thought of losing either her life or freedom even more. However, her preferred modus operandi means that Luna is better suited as a saboteur and spy than as a soldier.

The Flying Kittens Would want to help in any way they can, but I have yet to see an army or resistance force that would knowingly recruit 9-year-old kids.

HighGuard - "Killing. It makes the questioning so much more difficult."

Vetra - "Wheeee! Wait. What do you mean, 'avoid collateral damage'?"

Spinner - "Get someone else to do your dirty work. Last time I checked, a world full of casual killers was what I was at war against."

Let's see... cities razed, millions dead, want slaves, total surrender, wants resources. Dialog is not an option. Do we need to kill them all? Nope. And how would you "Beat them badly enough" without killing at least some?

The JLA and Avengers seem to do it all the time but of course some of those stories are from times when the "Do not kill" clause is rigorously enforced.

Captured their soldiers, smash their war machines, destroy their weapons- that would probably qualify as "beating them badly enough."

Let's see... cities razed' date=' millions dead, want slaves, total surrender, wants resources. Dialog is not an option. Do we need to kill them all? Nope. And how would you "Beat them badly enough" without killing at least some? [/i']

The JLA and Avengers seem to do it all the time but of course some of those stories are from times when the "Do not kill" clause is rigorously enforced.

Captured their soldiers, smash their war machines, destroy their weapons- that would probably qualify as "beating them badly enough."

Hopefully this would be enough, but I doubt it -"bloody noses" probably would be required. As to your example - you said it yourself JLA and Avengers. Golden or silver age. For there, your'e correct. But given cities razed and millions dead, doen't sound too golden age and is pushing silver age. Also the things people said they would do besides kill is good. They are correct, it is a valid response and will up the cost. If you will not kill, this is what you should do. If you keep it comic book, very valid. But - name me where in the real world where invader/conquerers that killed massively on purpose were ever turned back without at least some deaths on their part, intended or not? I was answering for my campaign where it is real world with supers. - silver to iron. If I had these invaders, you would have to kill some, even if you were not meaning to. You would have to destroy ships, and unless you had interesting powers, the beings in them would die. (And haven't the JLA and Avengers accidently killed? They regret it, but know that was not their intent. Also give me these heroes, with their power and death might not be necessary.) For my heroes, if they did not at least occasionaly kill, the death toll in humans would rise compared to a brutal response as it would take longer to get to an unacceptable cost for the aliens. The aliens would also probably respond to a smaller attack with retribution. That is what I meant by it is them or us. (sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain my response. I guess my assumptions were different.)

Gadgetqueen: There's a spaceship. We can fix that.

Steel Thunder: A martial artist with the samurai code, with 10 points of CVK vs. 10 points of Bloodthirsty, with the OK to turn off holding back? Lots of people going down.

Outback: things go kaboom.

Bestiary: use the powers of the armadillo, including heavy armor and HUGE CLAWS, go for it.

The Night: Infiltrate the mothership, send a recall order, set the navigation randomly, and hope to get off in time....

Soulbarb: (Street level) Well, she's mostly a brick, and mostly does normal damage. She's more into the capture and interrogate thing, and she wouldn't make it a priority to kill aliens unless there's no value to be had from capturing them. That said, if killing became necessary, she wouldn't hesitate. Since she already doesn't hesitate to kill humans where doing so is necessary... not much change there.

(High powered): I guess we're going to start testing just how creating she can get with a magic SFX VPP, then... ;)

Sylph:While she's only got a (Common, Moderate) CvK, Sylph finds it pretty hard to actually kill sentient beings. Moreover, the majority of her powers are non-lethal. She's better-equipped to just entangle large batches of enemy agents to immobilize them, and let others do the actual killing. Most likely, she will be more useful as a one-person mobile field hospital anyway, so while she'll probably see some action she won't be constantly right in the thick of things. Eventually she will conclude that war is hell and will kill if she must, but she won't like it and will never be comfortable with it.

Icestar is a 16yr old girl who doesn't even like hurting bad guys if she can avoid it....she would feel completely out of her element in a war, and the only way she would be able to bring herself to kill would be if there were literally no way around it - even then I think she would be more likely to just fall apart when faced with the possibility...