warhammer 40k Star hero

SageV

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: warhammer 40k Star hero

How about Depleted Promethium? :P

Okay, seriously though, Depleted Deuterium? I would just replace "Deuterium" with "Uranium" wherever that occurs. Depleted Uranium is heavy enough!

So... "Depleted Deuterium" is Deuterium without any hair?

Deuterium was named in 1931. GW was founded in 1975. I think GW's writers just saw the name in a list of obscure chemical names and adopted it. It wouldn't have become well-known until the 80s when nuclear power stations began to proliferate.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread I'll just tack on the end of this one.

1) I just got my copy of the new Dark Heresy core rulebook

2) Black Industries has already sold out their first print run.

3) Black Industries has just announced that they will be closing down.

4) Since the new edition of Talisman also sold out this makes no sense.

5) At least I will have the material I need to do a Star Hero conversion when/if I get the free time.

For those loving WH40K and who were waiting to get their powerfists on Dark Heresy and the like, I hope you got it...

Dark Industries/GW announced that they're closing down their RPG lines...

No more RPG Fluff besides Novels and Wargame stuff :(

And that is even if Dark Heresy Collector Edition sold out in SIX minutes...

... and the "regular" one is already sold out... (it came out LAST WEEK)

I got my copy from my FLGS (bless them) and it looks pretty good' date=' lots of background data if nothing else.[/quote']

Aye...

I've browsed through it at my FLGS and it IS exceptionally well made (book-wise). Not knowing the system I couldn't see if it was particularly good, but many aspect of it seemd QUITE interresting, even if only to use as Fluff :)

• 3 years later...

Arise, oh ancient thread!

I've been reading a bit of Rogue Trader lately and wondering if any past posters have expanded their conversion notes on using Hero in the Warhammer 40k 'verse.

I'm mainly intetested in how you would convert star travel by means of the Warp into Hero terms, and how Astropaths and Navigators might be constructed.

I'm actually looking at doing a "quick and dirty" conversion to HERO for a friend. He wants to play 40k with his customized miniatures, but doesn't know the system, and the custom work he did basically makes the units illegal.

So I was thinking I could do a simplified "HERO for Wargames" conversion; each unit would just have STR, DEX, SPD, BODY, DEF, and then attacks, movement, abilities, etc. Something along those lines.

Hadn't put much work into it yet, but glad this came up here.

If you intend to convert Rogue Trader, Dark Hersey, Deathwatch, and the like, to HERO, remember this -- DH, DW, RT 30 = HERO 8-10.

However, dividing all stats by 3 will not work out in the long run.

I know a little bit about Dark Herersy. The main thing to remember is, that characteristics and Skills are basically give a raw success Chance. so basically you can convert charactierstics with the bell curve on 6E2 280.

Using that, the 22-40 characteristics of warhammer would translate into values just enough for a 8- to 10- Roll in Hero. DH has a high focus on situational modifiers and skill points, so that 40 % can get as high as a 80% (a 12- or 13- in HERO).

But then again Warhammer Dark Heresy is perhaps the most dicidedly gritty, dark and deadly gameworld you can imagine and the rules are just there to mimik that.

How would you convert Chaos corruption? It seems like it is hitting the Spirit and Mind classes first, then it can get into Body transformations.

If you were building an adventurer for Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy, what point level would be good?

How would you convert Chaos corruption? It seems like it is hitting the Spirit and Mind classes first' date=' then it can get into Body transformations.[/quote']

This is a very specific concept and I think I have to re-read it first before I can really answer that.

If you were building an adventurer for Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy' date=' what point level would be good?[/quote']

From the things I said above - somwhere in the normals area, at least for skills/charactertics. Dark Heresy focuesses way to much on circumstance factors for the lower levels and you need skills to even have a above 50% success chance (11- in Hero) when starting your career.

I personally would think Standart heroic would be fitting and Very Powerfull heroc/weak superheroic for Space Marines, but then you have little to balance as even your starting characteristics give you a 11- in everything, as good as the average Inquisitional accolite starts out in dark heresy in some areas. I try to get my hands on a downloadable demo adventure for one of those and then we can try to conver the sheets.

How would you convert Chaos corruption? It seems like it is hitting the Spirit and Mind classes first, then it can get into Body transformations.

If you were building an adventurer for Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy, what point level would be good?

Chaos starts by corrupting the Mind and Spirit and then, eventually, starts to mutate the BODY. Also, mutations of the body seem to be a Side Effect of using (and abusing) Chaos powers or from accepting Chaos gifts.

Point totals are going to vary, but I highly suspect any competent Rogue Trader is at least 225 (in 6E.)

Total character points would probably vary wildly depending on if you build the armor and/or weapons and equipment with points or as free equipment.

I would think the safe bet would be building everything with points, and yeah I'd think a Space Marine would be around 150, and a Terminator 200-300. More for some of the elite units.

I'm going to have to go into the books and see what perks and talents might need to be translated. Perks like the Trade Warrant are probably pretty pricey, since they give quite a lot of benefit. I'm thinking a hereditary warrant is probably at least ten points, and Rogue Traders might have to pay for their starship. Maybe some Followers as well.

Inquisitors are probably toting around something like a License To Kill as well as rank in the priesthood.

I think unless you are trying to build something like a Primarch, Heroic is the way to go, even for a Space Marine. A Rogue Trader could possibly fit into 225 in 6th. I'll have to review the previous translation write-ups.

The Orks WAAAGH might be interesting to look at too.

I have take a deeper look at the Dark heresy Rulebook and this is what i found out. The things below are true for Dark Heresy. No idea if the power level for the Traders is higher but I hope as D.H. is so extremly low powered, I literally can't go low enough with the success chances with the basic hero values for anything.

Characteristics:

Are defiend as 15 to 25 (most often plain 20) + 2d10. So they range from 17 to 45, with 31 being the clear average. This is important as the charactertics values is the success chance. (You throw 1D100 or 1D% vs. the Value). This means cahracteristics should result in base throws of 7- to 10-, with 8- and 9- being the high or low averages respecitvely.

My best guess how to do it: Change the Roll to 7+ Char/5 and half free Starting Characterstics (5 instead of 10).

Maxed out values will range from 37 to 65. That would mean a 11- is already the absolute maximum (before skill levels).

With the above that would mean 20 in a characteristic is the absolute maximum.

My best guess: So put the NCM at 3/4 or even 1/2 of the current value and the absolute maximum at 20.

Skills:

DH's basic Skills are the Hero equivalent of Everyman Skills. They are thrown vs. half Charactertics Value (unless points where invested to really have the skill, wich makes them a learned skill/char based roll). That means the Everyimperial Skills will range from 6- to 8- with 7- beeing the average.

Best guess: put everyman/familarity at a plain 7- instead of 8-.

There are only four skill levels:

Basic (half roll)

Learned (full roll)

+10

+20

With the above that would mean you could go up to 85% (a 13-) in a skill, but that is really rare (requires the right home planet, a 1:100 roll and massive point investment). 12- or even 11- is already very skilled for Dark heresy.

Best guess: Limit how much you can add with Skill levels, or by buyign the skill to +2 (se below).

How to translate Penalties/Boni:

Since we are in the 8- to 13- range for learned skills, every +1 in HERO roughly equals a +10 in Dark Heresy (hence: no more than adding +2 to a Charactersitics based Skill roll).

I hope that first view helps a little bit.

Based on Christopher's notes, it sounds like a skill level limit of 13- and a hard NCM would probably be appropriate for the 40k 'verse when making human characters. Reading about 40k reminds me quite a bit of the Fading Suns rpg. They both have that gothic sci-fi feel.

I'm actually looking to mine concepts from 40k to create my own Star Hero campaign, so all comments have been helpful.

Okay, I only have the Introductio nadventures for Rogue Trader but asuming theses are not experienced examples, I can say this about it:

The traders are a completely different (higher) Power Level compared to the Acolyths of the Inquisition. 40+ Characteristics are as common as 30+ in D.H. and some even start with values at 50! (that is "Heroic" [the end of the examples chart] for Dark heresy and the only example given is "A Demons Willpower")