WWYCD: the mermaid

Mark Rand

This is a lighthearted one and assumes the city you're in has a deep water port. For some reason, you're at the docks, either in your civilian or heroic ID.

The submarine SSRN Seaview has been in the harbor for a few days. Now, it's taking on supplies. Nearby, in full view of the crew, who ignores her, a redheaded mermaid sits, sunning herself.

WWYCD?

The mermaid is Beverly Connors, PhD, a marine biologist who can shift between human and mermaid form at will, and one of the sub's resident scientists. The crew knows she's there and that she'll join them before the sub leaves.

Re: WWYCD: the mermaid

Aquatic- Aquatic, being half Atlantean, would just have to go talk to this lady because he knows she's not Atlantean, whatever she is. He'd be polite, and admit to being terribly curious, and if she didn't want to talk, he'd leave her be.

Banner- Banner lives in New York City...which is weird even outside of Marvel Universe variation. He'd probably shrug and keep on his patrols :)

Comet- Is she hot? If so, he's so totally going to chat her up

Mole- If she's in her very early 20s or late teens, Mole will probably tell the others later that he stumbled across someone who could play the 'water' part to the elemental thing the ShadowGuard has accidentally ended up with.

Given the fact that Cascade doesn't know the origins of her own water powers, she'd want to try to talk to her.

If this was Golden Age era, Iceberg would probably make sure the submarine is all on the up and up. After given the details and if neither the sub nor the mermaid appeared to be a threat, he'd probably leave them be (but would be ready to defend them if they got attacked).

My other heroes would take it on a case by case basis should their patrols &/or access to the appropriate authorities fit.

It's present day, not golden age.

She's in her late 20s to early 30s and has a COM of 14. Her hair falls to her waist and her tail's black with yellow highlights.

She doesn't mind conversation and will relate the information in the posting one spoiler.

Tao: Would assume she was a mutant or other metahuman. As long as she clothed adequately and wasn’t violating any security protocols, would just mention her presence to her superiors or the dock authorities. If she were topless, she’d attempt to take her in for indecent exposure.

Ivy: Being somewhat familiar with the legends of mermaids and sailors would be dubious but would attempt to communicate with her and watch for any unusual behavior among the Seaveiw’s crew, speaking with them if possible. She’d also inform the Tsunami, the undersea expert on her team and they’d try to at least keep tabs on the vessel for awhile. Mystical creatures don’t always live up to their legends but sometimes they do.

Velocity would absolutely HAVE to talk to her (or attempt to) and would dart to her location, assuming any magical powers she might have would only work on guys and impulsively ignoring the fact that she is not nearly as potent in an aquatic environment.

Harmony: She'd defer to Wave on this. She's from an aquatic race so if anyone would know what's up with a mermaid she should.

Volt may talk to her and may not. She's not hurting anyone and does not seem to be in need. His curiosity may kick in, and if so he'd just find out what's going on and find the spoiler info. He may try to get her as a contact, and allow himself to be one as well.

Olorin would almost certainly talk to her - in merfolk (language from his world) to start. This would probably not work, and then he'd chat her up in any language she knows (Universal translater, high skill roll). The conversation could go on quite a while if she's willing and neither has a time constraint. (He's curious and loves to talk to people.)He probably would also do the mutual contact thing that Volt did.

Black Tiger "Am I being 'punked'? Not falling for it." Then he'd walk away, since this does not seem to need a hero.

Futurian would talk to her, finding out the spoiler info unless he was in a hurry. Beings like that exist in his future; they were genetically modified to live in the seas - voluntarily. It can be fairly easy to reverse too where he came from. (About the level of minor plastic surgery now - but not so easy as a botox injection. Say about a nose job level.)

The SSRN Seaview, the fourth submarine to have that name, is 700 feet long, owned and operated by the Nelson Institute of Marine Research, and crewed by navy reservists. The Institute was founded in the early 1970s by the late Admiral Harriman Nelson.

Also, I don't think you can arrest a mermaid for indecent exposure.

Also, I don't think you can arrest a mermaid for indecent exposure.

For Tao, it doesn't matter what physical form the woman has. She's been ordered to enforce laws and exposing bare breasts in public is considered a violent of exposure laws (in her city anyway). Due to her own lack of a nudity taboo or modesty this was made very clear. :)

She is not aware of mystical connotation to the mermaid. She assumes the woman is a mutant or some metahuman with a altered form (which is actually is) which means laws are applicable to her. Even if she is some other lifeform, unless she's been been informed for some reason local laws do not apply to her, she will assume they will. If she is an alien or non human lifeform with no documentation or reason to be there then she is an illegal alien in violation of local decency ordinances and should be turned over to the proper authorities.

This is all assuming she's topless, if she's wearing the classic "sea shell bikini" or something else, Tao would have little reeason to question her unless she acted in suspicous or threatening manner. The crew being entirely unconcerned with her presence would indicate that she's harmless.

The SSRN Seaview' date='[/i'] the fourth submarine to have that name, is 700 feet long, owned and operated by the Nelson Institute of Marine Research, and crewed by navy reservists. The Institute was founded in the early 1970s by the late Admiral Harriman Nelson.

He doesnt have a son named Tony, does he? (Nice enough guy, kinda straight laced...has a really cute blonde girlfriend...)

He doesnt have a son named Tony' date=' does he? (Nice enough guy, kinda straight laced...has a really cute blonde girlfriend...)[/quote']

No, but they may have been related.

On a more serious note, Barbara Eden, who played Cathy Connors (Crane) in the movie version of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea also played Jeannie on I dream of Jeannie. The sub has a co-ed crew, and the exec, Admiral Lee Crane's daughter, looks a lot like her mother.

Under federal law, indecent exposure laws don't apply to mermaids.

They don't?

Secondly, I thought this was about what the characters would do. As far as Tao is concerned, she's a just another superhuman with an odd shape anyway but that's neither here nor there. If she was a "real" mermaid and that meant for some reason she could go topless in public, she'd been released. That has no bearing on whether Tao would attempt to take her in if it was merited.

Under federal law, indecent exposure laws don't apply to mermaids.

:)

It would make a great episode of NCIS

Gibbs: DiNozzo, stop standing there with your mouth open and cuff her dammit!

DiNozzo: Sure thing boss. So, Miss, do you prefer in front or behind your back? The cuffs I mean?

McGee: Uh... hold on a second Tony. Boss, I don't think we...

Gibbs: (Stares) You don't think McGee?

McGee: That is, um, I don't ... um... we can't arrest her.

Gibbs: (Steps in closer and keeps up the stare) She is sitting there in full view of marine dependents including children, McGee, with her... her on full view!

Ziva: I doubt most children will be traumatised by the sight of a pair of breasts Gibbs, after all...

Gibbs: (Transfers stare to Ziva who holds up hands placatingly and backs off)

Gibbs: (Back to McGee) Why the hell not?

McGee: Federal law, boss. Mermaids are exempt from indecent exposure legislation following the case of New Jersey versus Aerial 1992 and...

Gibbs: You heard this woman speak McGee?

McGee: Actually... no, boss, but...?

Gibbs: Anybody hear this woman speak yet?

DiNozzo: (stops grinning at the woman just long enough to answer) Not me boss

Ziva: No... (smiles). I see.

Gibbs: So she may not be a mermaid, she could be a Siren. And Sirens are not damned well exempt. Now cuff her DiNozzo and let's get her back to Ducky. I'm hungry.

Ducky: ...and as I said to Ernest Hemingway, the secret to preparing the perfect fish dish is the use of appropriately sharpened filletting knives. Of course he wouldn't believe me and...

Palmer: (undertone to Abby) Is he really planning to serve up this Mermaid for lunch?

Abby: She's not a Mermaid, Jimmy, she's a Siren.

Palmer: What's the difference?

Abby: One extra hit die and a nicer voice.

Ducky: Hmm? Oh yes. And a richer, meatier taste. (Holds up filletting knife which gleams). Perfect.

I guess it would depend on how anal retentive the authorities in question wanted to be. Photo shoots and magazine covers like that aren't censored but the model's hair is typically secured in some fashion but I guess if she didn't move so wasn't showing anything (or specifically nipples) it would be fine. Also there are places in the US where women can go topless (New York being one of them) and I think it's acceptable in large portions of Canada as well (I remember a case in Toronto were two men arrested for indecent exposure was dismissed because there wearing shoes which technically meant they were bot no "naked"). San Francisco and and other places in California can be be fairly laid back about public nudity as well but I'm not sure about the actual statutes. I was posting for Tao as if she were this was occurring in her home city or many US cities.

The submarine SSRN Seaview has been in the harbor for a few days. Now' date=' it's taking on supplies. Nearby, in full view of the crew, who ignores her, a redheaded mermaid sits, sunning herself.[/quote']

Zero would blush and do a surruptious mind-probe of the crew, in case there was some unnatural reason they hadn't noticed her. And still be bright pink even after he figures out the truth

Kingdom City is in Nebraska, and altho it has a lot of river traffic a sub seems unlikely.

Nonetheless - Vitus would be deeply suspicious - he's never met one, but the crew ignoring her presence smacks of enchantment spells, and the only merfolk he heard do enchantments are Sirens. Highly dangerous. This would probably call for retreat, since Vitus has no particular defense against enchantment spells. Then, call up Void, and organise a quick teleport attack - grab, up 4000 feet, interogate. If she tries anything, let go.

In that case a mind-probe would leave him very flustered indeed. Rum' date=' Sodomy, & The Lash and all that.[/quote']

"Get on with you, with your airs and graces! Yer won't be so partickler after three months at sea and not a bint in sight 'Twill be a shilling then an' all!"