D&D twists on Fantasy Hero Ok???

LordSolovar

This may be blasphemy for some of you, but I like some of the touches that D&D has. The simple battles in the square maps are nice and are easier for my slower freinds to comprehend. So the basic question is:

You think it is fine if I use Fantasy Hero to make very deep and interesting characters and then use the maps from D&D and the feel of the battles?

I still use Hero System rules in battle, I just wanna use squares instead of hexes All the roleplaying is done off map and then for encounters, Not always in rediculous dungeouns, we hop to the D&Dish map.

Re: D&D twists on Fantasy Hero Ok???

I use squares or hexes depending on what I have available. Although with squares I tend to go with staggered squares (ie a brick pattern) to simulate hexes. But it's easy enough to do with a standard grid - you just move from middle of a square to the line between.

Square grids are nice because, well, rooms are (usually) square. You don't wind up with a third of a hex on one side of a wall, for example, and when you move in a straight line, your mini moves in a straight line as well; sometimes, on a hex-map, you seem to move 'zigzag' and seem to not go as far.

Doing Area Effects on squares can be a pain in the butt, though. D&D AE Cones don't look like cones if you do them on the side of a square instead of off the corner.

I accidentally ran a Champions game on a square grid; I have a battlemat with Hexes on one side and Squares on the other, started making out the fight scene and suddenly went, "Wait ... this is the wrong side of the map." Felt like an idiot, but just ran with it and it really didn't make a lot of difference in the end.

I accidentally ran a Champions game on a square grid; I have a battlemat with Hexes on one side and Squares on the other, started making out the fight scene and suddenly went, "Wait ... this is the wrong side of the map." Felt like an idiot, but just ran with it and it really didn't make a lot of difference in the end.

Yah, thats what I was referring to. Doesn't seem like it would make a difference.

Personally' date=' I prefer no grids because last time I checked there wasn't one under my feet.[/quote']

At my University there are two areas I know of which are paved with hexes. Each hex is about a meter in diameter, so smaller than a Hero inch, but big enough to stand in comfortably. My friends will occasionally bug me to re-write the graphing calculator programs that would let us do hero combat out there, then play some champions out there. It would be interesting if we could get all the people who normally use the areas out of there.

At my University there are two areas I know of which are paved with hexes. Each hex is about a meter in diameter' date=' so smaller than a Hero inch, but big enough to stand in comfortably. My friends will occasionally bug me to re-write the graphing calculator programs that would let us do hero combat out there, then play some champions out there. It would be interesting if we could get all the people who normally use the areas out of there.[/quote']

Oh, you start doing live action role-playing out there and they'll leave :D

cheers, Mark

Personally' date=' I prefer no grids because last time I checked there wasn't one under my feet.[/quote']

Grids make it easier to count the space. However, I also like the idea of removing the grid and requiring players to make decisions without counting out the hexes. Do your characters really have that precise a sense of distances? Even if I had the grid under my feet, I don't think I could count off the hexes for the various options in a typical Hero combat and make my decision in the 6 seconds my (likely) 2 SPD affords me to use a phase.

Oh, you start doing live action role-playing out there and they'll leave :D

cheers, Mark

Quoted for truth.

In my experience all someone needs to do is ask if there are any fairies in the vicinity and the combat rules suddenly get a very very good playtesting.

As for the original question, I used a battle mat for years that only had squares and it made no appreciable difference.

For that matter we went years without a battlemat and that worked fine too.

So yeah, there's nothing in Hero that actually requires the use of a hex mat. Occasionally, if we are fighting in an internal environment where most of the walls are at right angles, I still occasionally use the "squares mat" because it makes drawing easier and ease is the only reason I use one - that it cuts down on GM explanation on who's where and what they can see.

cheers, Mark

Question, generally the suggestion for moving diagonally on a square is that it's 1.5" (rounded down), would that also work for moving corner to corner on a hex? If so, then I like hexes just fine. If not, then I'd prefer squares cause you'd have 8 directions of movement without having to think TOO much, while with the 12 you'd have on a hex, half of the calculations required might take too long (I generally underesitmate peoples ability/want to do math at a game table). That's my oppinion anyway, though I would like the question answered since I can't wrap my brain around hex corners.

Glad for all your input. The hexes do make it slightly nicer because of the more organic fell of the movement, but for maps(sometimes I use D&D) squares are easier to make the rooms and buildings around. I kind of like the idea of no squares. It would really add to the realism.

That just is one of my pet peeves about Hero: it's too hard, too much math!

First, it's basic arithmetic, this isn't calculus, it is the level of math you should be bored with by the time you are in junior high. Second, role playing game hobbists are not exactly the dumbest people in society. Generally speaking, RPG players are smarter than most people and often more mathematically inclined. It's absurd to say that geeks who program computers and take trig in high school are intimidated by the math in Hero.

I use squares or hexes depending on what I have available. Although with squares I tend to go with staggered squares (ie a brick pattern) to simulate hexes. But it's easy enough to do with a standard grid - you just move from middle of a square to the line between.

Speaking of the staggered square pattern, does anyone know of a battlemat printed with it? I did some minor poking around looking for it, but I may easily have overlooked it if it's out there somewhere.

Stealing from wargames... measuring after you decide makes for decisions having some "mystery" to them as far as them making it, and it doesn't look as silly. I neither like squares nor hexes nor battlemaps. I like to lay down a flocked sheet and throw down props and let people measure if they need to. One advantage of also being a wargamer: lots of that lying around. =)

You can buy the flocked mats for cheap, making your own isn't hard, and props are simple. If I may self-promote a tad here, check out "Roleplaying in Miniature" under columns at rpg.net

Speaking of the staggered square pattern' date=' does anyone know of a battlemat printed with it? I did some minor poking around looking for it, but I may easily have overlooked it if it's out there somewhere.[/quote']

One of my papermodel colleagues whipped me up some tiles for it. If I can find them, I'll post them on this board.