C.l.o.w.n.

Dust Raven

Re: C.l.o.w.n.

I missed CLOWN in the previous editions and would like to see them in this edition. I have used several of the comedic villains to great effect and harass the PCs with them. I think they would be a good addition to the universe. If there is minimal need (or want) and DH article would work.

Just my opinion, don't kill me right away.

Yeah' date=' that's a legit worry. I've nearly fallen into that trap with Foxbat more than once in a Face to Face game as a GM. :o[/quote']

I have as well. Fortunately at the last moment I sucked it up and decided Foxbat would cry and throw a fit the hero broke his arm and I wouldn't. It worked. The heroes turned their attention to the "real" threat and Foxbat slinked away unnoticed.

There's a few players though, who just

HATE getting captured.

HATE losing fights, no matter how much it would advance the plot for the villain to win, and then complain when they do lose, claiming I stacked the deck against them.

And when the world does turn against them because they resented that loss so much that they overreact and do something stupid, then they build their character to be invincible except in certain specific situations, which requires me to tiptoe around them, or the other players all get screwed.

The problem with this is that if the player(s) who do that just didn't build their characters that way, fights would be fairer, and I wouldn't have "The purpose of the justice league is to kick the Kryptonite out of the way for Superman effect."

The impression I've gotten is that the sheer number of CLOWNs multiplies the aggravation for some people. One or two looney villains seem acceptable to most folks for a change of pace. A dozen of them working together can not only be overwhelming in their mass insanity, but strains suspension of disbelief. Steve Long has expressed this concern about them in the past.

Well, the thing is that I only use the ones that are appropriate to the scenario. If they all show up, some of them don't actually shoot anything. Once I had Spotlight sit around and just hold up a sign that said "Don't shoot the baby." Apparently people feel the need to shoot at these folks anyway. :)

I've never used CLOWN as a villain team; it always seemed pointless. I have, however, used them as Berkley's resident Anarchist Hero Collective and Street Performance Troupe.

That worked well.

Well, there is a difference between villain and adversary/opponent. I've used CLOWN once, and it was in an adversarial role. Even so, they were not "villains" in the classic sense. They were out to do a prank that was fairly harmless, but annoying and disruptive to a more serious event. The hero were at the event. I left it up to the players to decide if their characters would get involved. (The newly inaugriated POTUS chose to instruct the appropriate people not to press charges against CLOWN, after the smoke cleared. It was his inaugrial ball after all.) It worked well for me.

It isn't something I'd do more than once a year in a long running campaign.

It really depends. Every so often' date=' I run a scenario so dark that an appearance by CLOWN shortly thereafter is a welcome break.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm not great with dark storylines, so when I DO do one, I soon follow with a bit of humor to help wipe the gloom away

Yeah' date=' I'm not great with dark storylines, so when I DO do one, I soon follow with a bit of humor to help wipe the gloom away[/quote']

I'm having a sudden urge to do a game where 'real' villains dress up in CLOWN suits and actually perform real crimes ... the hard part will be finding ways to mimic the powers believably. :)