C.l.o.w.n.

Dust Raven

Yes, the Criminal Legion Of Wacky Non-conformists.

I don't have the book in front of me (in fact, I don't think I even own it anymore), could anyone who does please post a list of the character names of the members of CLOWN? I don't need stats or anything, just the character names. The rest should flow from memory (I hope).

Thanks!

Re: C.l.o.w.n.

Ah' date=' so many I forgot... I am ashamed![/quote']

It's a big group. It'd be like trying to name everybody who's ever been an Avenger or a Justice Leaguer.

Oh, and I was at a Con with the guy who created the group once ... there was a character who didn't make the cut named Sweet Tooth (various candy/pastry themed attacks, like Taffy Entangles).

You know, I think the lack of CLOWN is one of the reasons I like the 4th edition universe better, it felt more like a comic book world to me, partialy because you had obvious hold overs from the silver age along side bronze and Iron, now you have Bronze and Iron, but no silver other than a certain Ape...

Why is CLOWN considered considered so passe and Silver-Agey? Lots of comedy-theme villains worked in the Bronze and Iron Ages -- Arcade' date=' Joker, the Riddler. Hell the CU has Foxbat (a character I loathe), and he's stretching the goofy envelope.[/quote']There's a difference between comedy-themed and outright comedic. Try to imagine, if you will, the Joker (complete with all his recent and current lethality) going up against the Inferior Five.

Foxbat may well stretch the goofy envelope, but CLOWN ripped that envelope into tiny shreds.

I do think it would be nice to see CLOWN return for the Silver Age Champions book, along with the story of their eventual disbanding, though I doubt Steve would ever go along with it.

Couldn't they just be reimagined and de-goofified??
That could work' date=' as long as they weren't de-goofified [i']too[/i] much. The original idea, though nobody ever stated it as such, seemed to be that they'd serve the same function in a game versus the PCs as we saw (to give the most famous examples) in Mr. Mxyzptlk or Ambush Bug versus Superman in the comics. The group would have to still fit that niche to be worth including.

That could work' date=' as long as they weren't de-goofified [i']too[/i] much. The original idea, though nobody ever stated it as such, seemed to be that they'd serve the same function in a game versus the PCs as we saw (to give the most famous examples) in Mr. Mxyzptlk or Ambush Bug versus Superman in the comics. The group would have to still fit that niche to be worth including.

It's a weird thing with CLOWN ... players seem more accepting of having their characters beaten to a pulp, maimed, or even killed outright over being humiliated publically.

I enjoyed the 3E C.L.O.W.N., but not the 4E one. It seemed to stretch the "We commit humorous larceny and pull practical jokes" idea too much.

I see C.L.O.W.N. as being a group of six to eight people, at least one of which looks like a Medieval jester. Weapons would include various launchers for silly string and laughing gas.

It's a weird thing with CLOWN ... players seem more accepting of having their characters beaten to a pulp' date=' maimed, or even killed outright over being humiliated publicly.[/quote']

Well, I always treated CLOWN as their main goal being to mock society and its foibles, not the superheroes who defended it. That seemed to make them more palatable for players.

Well' date=' my players hate losing, but they'll lose every dustup to C.L.O.W.N. and not care. I still haven't figured this one out.[/quote']

I've always had the opposite problem. I guess it's the imagery or 'rep' effect ...

"You guys fought Dr. Destroyer toe-to-toe? That's AMAZING ... you won by virtue of not getting atomized!"

"Takofanes is a major player ... holding him off as long as you did was an amazing feat!"

" ... you got pwned by a girl with a ventriloquist's dummy and a clown."

I think your players have the correct perspective on the issue, Balabanto. :)

It's a weird thing with CLOWN ... players seem more accepting of having their characters beaten to a pulp' date=' maimed, or even killed outright over being humiliated publically.[/quote']

There are a couple of threads about CLOWN floating around that I posted (I'm in favor of using CLOWN carefully).

One of the the impressions that I got is a number of players feel that CLOWN has things stacked in their favor. It maybe that some GMs abuse CLOWN, in giving CLOWN script immunity, since after all the worse thing that is going to happen to a PC is that he has cream pie on his face, so it is OK to make it so that the PCs can't win.

I've always liked CLOWN, but have never had a really good use for them in game. In most of the games I would have put them in, they've be criminals, but not villains, and ultimately the heroes would have ended up working with them or vice versa. I suppose this would be cool in some ways, but it's not been the goal of any campaign I've run previously.

I'm currently thinking of utilizing them in a campaign set in the future. Still supers, but a low powered (200-250 total points) and in a world where super powered people are becoming rare. I'd like to use CLOWN, heavily modified, as a form of dark comedy relief... with the jokes being funny, but also being borderline cruel without actually being directly harmful. I'm not sure how I'll pull it off, or if it will even pan out, but it's an idea in my head.

There are a couple of threads about CLOWN floating around that I posted (I'm in favor of using CLOWN carefully).

One of the the impressions that I got is a number of players feel that CLOWN has things stacked in their favor. It maybe that some GMs abuse CLOWN, in giving CLOWN script immunity, since after all the worse thing that is going to happen to a PC is that he has cream pie on his face, so it is OK to make it so that the PCs can't win.

I have witnessed a GM suffering from Don't Hurt My Babies Syndrome with CLOWN, yes.