What is Your Favorite Item?

matrix3

Re: What is Your Favorite Item?

I think you're all forgetting the incredible amount of fun you can have with Love Potions. Of course, it's only funny if you're not on the receiving end and if the Potion isn't limited to same race, opposite gender, etc. Then again, if the effects are permanent, things can get pretty tragic...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Query; was this also the effect that Longshot generated? Or was his just personal luck? I know there was an X-Files where the episode's target had this ability; he got phenomenal luck' date=' but for his part, traded on unluck to follow (Side Effect).[/quote']

Sort of. Depends. Continuity's a sticky thing, particularly when one person creates a character, than Claremont makes them popular by writing them VERY VERY differently. In his original version, Longshot was granted the luck ability via a magical ritual. In that version, he caused vague, random unluck somewhere in the universe every time he used his own luck... so he had to make sure that whenever he used his power, it was worth it. When Claremont started writing him, poor dear had been through so many brainwashes he couldn't remember his own shoe size. His luck power then seemed to have changed into something that was Always On, Only When In-Genre. So if he was acting selfishly, or wasn't playing the part of The Hero, it didn't work. Nothing about causing unluck was ever mentioned again that I saw.

• 1 month later...

A guy in my current gaming group told me about The Platter that a previous GM had introduced in a long running campaign. There was a race of Big Bads, who would only eat still living creatures, but were very social and often had long, lavish banquets. They got tired of throwing out half-eaten corpses, so they invented "The Platter:" a large silver platter large enough for a hog (or a human), with two power effects, a large Suppress STR, and a large boost to Body (+50 or so), only to resist death. Who or whatever was placed upon The Platter would be effectively paralyzed, but fully conscious as the Big Bads took their time munching their way through a long dinner.

• 6 months later...

Dust of Dragon's Teeth

This is a dust that acts like the mythological dragon's teeth. Sprinkle a pinch on the ground, and a moment later up pops an armed and armored warrior.

I don't know where the GM got this idea, but he was off on his math. After an encounter, the PC's found a pouch with a pound of this stuff. One PC (Tucker, I think) grabbed this up and held on to it for a while. Eventually, the group faced a big bad, a monstrous creature that was nearly immune to their attacks. Tucker made a great roll to throw this pouch into the creatures mouth, then the player brought up Google on his laptop and showed the GM that there are 16 pinches to a teaspoon and 96 teaspoons to a pound. 1,536 warriors suddenly spawned in the creature's gullet.

Ring of water Walking. My warrior had one; it was the shizznit. In one game we basically convinced a much larger force to run into a raging river with my ring and a Hallucinatory Terrain spell.

In another, my brickish warrior wrestled a vampire and hauled his undead ass to a running stream and held him under.

and I can't count how many times I was able to buy time by running out onto lakes. Or the time our ship was attacked.

indoors it was barely noticeable but once we stepped into the world I would look for opportunities to use the sucker.

I have an amusing story to share.

About 5 years ago, I was playing as a wood elf ranger in a D&D campaign my buddy ran for about a year. The way I played this ranger was heavily dependent on stealth and guerrilla tactics. At the onset of nearly every engagement, I would conceal myself when possible, wait for our enemies to become focused on the fighter types, then pop up and run around behind their flank, slicing and dicing as I went, wreaking all kinds of havoc on the enemy mages and squishy types.

One day, the GM had us run in a sort of skills test appropriate for each of us. For example, the fighters would get a test of strength and endurance, the mage had a magic skills test, and I had a kind of obstacle/ropes course in which I had to demonstrate balance, cunning, and speed.

The GM had informed us that there was a magical item awaiting us as a reward at the end of our respective challenges. So, when I reached the end of the course (after nearly falling into a river of lava, mind you) I saw a ring on a pedestal. Foolishly, reveling in my success, I joyfully snatched up the ring and put it on.

To my great dismay, I quickly discovered that the ring was, in fact, a cursed ring. The ring had caused me to shrink to the size of the gnome, magically given me a pair of bright, guady pants with jingly bells on them, and caused me to glow brightly. The pants could only be removed by a Wish spell.

This ring had effectively destroyed my character's play style. Considering that all the other members of the group had gotten helpful magical rewards, I was rather angry at the time, but it makes for a great story. I actually had started to think about using it in some rather hilarious ways, but I never got a chance to use them as the campaign ended shortly thereafter.

One of my favorite fantasy RPG items has always been the Portable Hole. And our group came up with some truly innovative ideas for it.

One of our players came up with the idea of setting a wooden liner into one, so he could just drop stuff into it without worrying about a sharp object punturing the fabric of the Hole. And from this, we developed...

The Organized Hole, with a ladder and shelves attached to the wooden liner.

The Portable Library, with several sets of shelves that collapsed together and a winch to raise it up out of the hole.

The Portable Alchemy lab, similar to the library but with racks of glassware and worktables instead. (This spawned a whole series of 'Portable Workstations' for various skills.)

The Portable Watchtower, which was winched out in four sections, giving a 40' high watchtower for whoever was on guard to use at night.

And then my 3'6" halfling came up with the best one (in my less-than-humble opinion, anyway). In the 6' diameter, 10' deep - less 4" for a really sturdy liner - volume, he built a two storey apartment, complete with a two-piece camoflage lid, sitting room and (small) library, comfy chair, four-poster King Sized (relative to a halfling, anyway) bed, and wall-to wall carpet. :D No sleeping out in the wilds for this halfling!

The GM had informed us that there was a magical item awaiting us as a reward at the end of our respective challenges. So, when I reached the end of the course (after nearly falling into a river of lava, mind you) I saw a ring on a pedestal. Foolishly, reveling in my success, I joyfully snatched up the ring and put it on.

To my great dismay, I quickly discovered that the ring was, in fact, a cursed ring. The ring had caused me to shrink to the size of the gnome, magically given me a pair of bright, guady pants with jingly bells on them, and caused me to glow brightly. The pants could only be removed by a Wish spell.

This ring had effectively destroyed my character's play style. Considering that all the other members of the group had gotten helpful magical rewards, I was rather angry at the time, but it makes for a great story. I actually had started to think about using it in some rather hilarious ways, but I never got a chance to use them as the campaign ended shortly thereafter.

Wow. That sucks. The other guys got helpful rewards, while you got stuck with a powerful cursed item that could only be reversed via a Wish spell? I would think he could have dealt with your character's style of play a little more reasonably (like having you encounter an enemy ranger or something), or had everybody get a cursed item so you'd get to cure the curses as a team...

Out of curiousity' date=' how would one buy a Portable Hole in HEROS?[/quote']

From an older thread on a similar subject. Note that the total cost listed is for the bag built as a vehicle. The owning character would only need to pay 1/5th of that per the vehicle rules.

Why not use the vehicle rules?

Bag of Holding

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

0 DEX -30 9- OCV: 0/DCV: 0

10 BODY 0 11-

0 SPD -10 Phases: (none)

Total Characteristic Cost: -44

Movement:

Cost Powers END

120 It's Just a Bag!: Shrinking (0.0314 m tall, 0.0004 kg mass, -12 PER Rolls to perceive character, +12 DCV, takes +18" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (120 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 120

Total Cost: 76

Guest Admiral C

The old Magic Items book had some tattoos of swords that were etched in your forearms. Not a magic item per-se but the created magical blades of force around your forearms.

GURPS Magic Items 1-3 had dozens of nifty magic items. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was the Juggernaut Armor which was a a golem you could possess. Mongoose had a similar creature called a tower golem I think, that had a space in its chest that looked liked a window ledge that a mage could ride around it.

This makes the most sense to me' date=' although I could see a problem if there isn't interdimensional travel allowed in your campaign.[/quote']

True, but if you have D&D's "portable hole" it also makes sense to have their "multiverse" as well.

Otherwise, it's best to come up with original ideas for items that actually fit your setting.

Ok, this is one of my players favorite item.

They had managed to get horseshoes of zephyr but no horses to put on them. (For those that don't know, when shod onto a horse, it allows the horse to fly slightly above the ground, making it easier to move through rough terrain and allow movement on water.)

They were out in a desert and their sand glider had been busted by a giant worm. To momentarily distract the worm, they managed to summoned a rather sickly 50 point cow which was quickly munched by the worm.

Ok, so they had a busted sand glider, a dead giant worm, and a dismembered cow.

The half-orc player decided to try to wear the horseshoes, I said this wouldn't work, the horseshoes need to be nailed in.

But, they did have a dismembered cow...

So they rebuild the sand gilder with the body of a dead worm with four cow legs nailed to it and the horseshoes nailed to the cow hooves.

I allowed it just for the imagery alone and it made the players so happy.

The Mallet of Blessing.

When swung at full force it bestows a blessing upon the target.

I forget what it was called but it wasn't an item so much as a creature that took on the appearance of an enchanted leather item (hat or glove). The creature was a parasite but in exchange for eating 1 hp per day (or whatever the character would naturally regen) it would help to keep the character alive.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the 12 Swords designed by Fred Saberhagen.

Basically, these 12 weapons were absolutely invincible and indestructable unless they ran afoul of another Sword...and only one particular Sword at that.

Shieldbreaker:The Sword of Force. Can destroy other Swords. Makes you absolutely invincible against armed attacks...weapons, magic, energy blasts, doesn't matter. But you're helpless if even a 4 year old comes to wrestle you. It makes you helpless against unarmed attacks.

Doomgiver:The Sword of Justice. Second strongest Sword over all behind Shieldbreaker. The Sword of 'do unto others before they do unto you', it turned any power attempted to be used on the wielder back at the source. Doesn't matter if it was mind control, arrows, fists, swords, whatever. It all went back where it came from. Can even turn the powers of other Swords (except Shieldbreaker) back on their wielder.

Woundhealer: Sword of Mercy. Heals anyone it's swung at. Cannot be destroyed by Shieldbreaker...if the two swords meet, Shieldbreaker is destroyed instead, as Woundhealer is not a weapon. Woundhealer can heal any wound eventually, though chopped off limbs take a while, it can even manage that.

Mindsword: Sword of Glory. Fun weapon. AOE 50d6 Mindcontrol spreading over the radius of 100 yards. Set effect:Must worship wielder. Also has particularly hard to cure wounds when used as a physical weapon. Even magic has trouble fixing 'em.

Soulcutter: Sword of Despair. Similar to Mindsword, above, but it's 60d6 Mindcontrol spreading over 100 yards, and the set effect is despair. The wielder is not immune. It's higher then the Mindsword because when both swords are drawn, Soulcutter wins.

Coinspinner:Sword of Chance. 100d6 of Luck. That is not an exaggeration. Also makes one lucky in combat...if you suffer a wound in a battle, it's from an attack that would've cleaved you in half otherwise. Can also tell you directions if you ask it to find something. And you always win when you gamble.

Wayfinder:Finds the way to anything. If other things are needed to obtain the goal, it leads you to those first. The Sword of Wisdom sticks its wielder with 3d6 unluck, though, as it 'adds unto their risk'

Sightblinder:The Sword of Stealth. This weapon makes you appear as what somebody fears most or loves most. The sword mindscans somebody, then plays upon their deepest loves and fears. Also, it increases your own perception to see things you never could've seen on your own.

Townsaver:The Sword of Fury. This weapon does nothing unless you're guarding a city. If you're guarding a city, it chops up absolutely everything. It has a DCV penalty on it, though, as it makes no effort to save its wielder. It does keep him alive until the battle ends, though. But if you're at negative your body, you croak the minute people stop fighting.

Farslayer:The Sword of Vengeance. Throw it at anyone. Absolutely anyone. Doesn't matter who. God, demon, human, whatever. They are dead. But...well, it's a one use item, and the friends and family of the guy you just killed now have access to it. Uh oh.

Stonecutter:The Sword of Siege. Cuts stone. Any stone. Very easily. Named such for its ability to hack into castle walls. Also useful for sculpting stone.

Dragonslicer:The Sword of Heroes. Kills Dragons dead. Very dead. Poor Dragons.

I like the 12 Swords designed by Fred Saberhagen.

Yes! Some really good fantasy overall, too, if people haven't read it ( and his Beserker books are quite good sci-fi, at least the early books I read)

Soulcutter: Sword of Despair. Similar to Mindsword, above, but it's 60d6 Mindcontrol spreading over 100 yards, and the set effect is despair. The wielder is not immune. It's higher then the Mindsword because when both swords are drawn, Soulcutter wins.

Yes..I remember this one. Even to slip it partially out of the sheath would devastate opponents -- and risked the wielder's life.

Coinspinner:Sword of Chance. 100d6 of Luck. That is not an exaggeration. Also makes one lucky in combat...if you suffer a wound in a battle, it's from an attack that would've cleaved you in half otherwise. Can also tell you directions if you ask it to find something. And you always win when you gamble.

Don't forget its tendency to go wander after a while. However the owner locked it up, eventually it would go find another owner. Usually when the current owner was relying upon the luck...

Townsaver:The Sword of Fury. This weapon does nothing unless you're guarding a city. If you're guarding a city, it chops up absolutely everything. It has a DCV penalty on it, though, as it makes no effort to save its wielder. It does keep him alive until the battle ends, though. But if you're at negative your body, you croak the minute people stop fighting.

yes, a couple cool stories about this one, as I recall.

Farslayer:The Sword of Vengeance. Throw it at anyone. Absolutely anyone. Doesn't matter who. God, demon, human, whatever. They are dead. But...well, it's a one use item, and the friends and family of the guy you just killed now have access to it. Uh oh.

And, it doesn't matter how far away, or if you are inside or in a cave when you "throw" it. Basically, if you have room to spin around in a hammer-throw style, thinking (chanting?) the targets name, for a few moments, then release, this sword will basically teleport away to slay your target.

Dragonslicer:The Sword of Heroes. Kills Dragons dead. Very dead. Poor Dragons.

Just don't get it mixed up with another sword when you go to slay that dragon...