Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Susano

Inspired by Darren's Hero All-Stars, I am working on my own. The basic set up is that's it's 1983 and someone is holding a tournament on the Island of Dr. Han -- which has been abandoned since Mr. Lee took down Han's criminal enterprise there in 1973. So a group of heroes have been contacted and asked to attend, find out what is going on, and if possible, stop it.

I have been using IMDB to see who was active in martial arts cinema in 1983, and have settled on the following:

Jackie (Jackie Chan) -- HKPD, he's the same Jackie featured in Police Story in 1985.

Sho Kosugi -- He was the villain in Enter the Ninja (1981) and Revenge of the Ninja (1983), so I'm unsure to keep him as a hero or make him one of the villains. If I drop him, who from Japan do I use? Sonny Chiba?

JJ McQuade (Chuck Norris) -- Texas Ranger, his exploits will go on to inspire the TV series of Walker, Texas Ranger. McQuade is also a Vietnam vet and might be the same person as Colonel James Braddock (Missing in Action).

That's my big three at the moment. HK kung fu master, Japanese ninja, and American "karate cop." I am looking for around three more people. However....

Jet Li -- doesn't make his mark until around 1987 and doesn't really hit it big until 1991. So he's out.

Jean Claude Van Damme -- first appears in a few films in 1984 and doesn't break out until 1988's Bloodsport.

Cynthia Rothrock -- doesn't appear in films until 1985.

Michelle Yeoh -- doesn't appear in films until 1984 and doesn't have a starring role until 1985.

Chow Yun-Fat -- okay, he might be the coolest guy on the set, but he's a gunfighter, and doesn't start teaming up with John Woo until 1986.

Any other suggestions for people the PCs can play?

Oh, and since Bolo Yeung survived Enter the Dragon, he's in as bad-guy muscle.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

A correction, Sho was the villain in Enter the Ninja, true. But he has a family that is attacked and must be revenged, making him the hero of Revenge of the Ninja. He was also the Hero in Ninja III, though that was almost soft core...NM. He was the good guy in Black Eagle (Which also had Van Damme) and Nine deaths. The explanation is that in Enter, he was under cover. "Dying" allowed him to go back to his true job as family man for Revenge.

I'll look through my films from the period and see what I can find. :)

Here's a thought on the villain side: If you're actually using JJ McQuade, you may remember that David Caradine / Rawley Wilkes dies in a massive explosion. His body is never seen. What if he survived, and decided to recruit a gang of top martial arts assassins to put between himself and his criminal enterprises? He always had a taste for the ladies (as shown in Lone Wolf McQuade); what about a mostly female gang? He'll need a new identity, of course, but then Rawley may not have been his real name anyway. He could call himself, say, Bill.

He'd make a great candidate as the successor of Dr.Han.

Maybe this isn't the first mostly female gang he organized. Maybe he organized a different gang earlier, before his confrontation with JJ, a gang that he charmed into thinking they were doing good. Maybe back then, he called himself, say, Charlie.

Which gives you his former Angels, older now, and looking for revenge.

I'll look through my films from the period and see what I can find. :)

Here's a thought on the villain side: If you're actually using JJ McQuade, you may remember that David Caradine / Rawley Wilkes dies in a massive explosion. His body is never seen. What if he survived, and decided to recruit a gang of top martial arts assassins to put between himself and his criminal enterprises? He always had a taste for the ladies (as shown in Lone Wolf McQuade); what about a mostly female gang? He'll need a new identity, of course, but then Rawley may not have been his real name anyway. He could call himself, say, Bill.

He'd make a great candidate as the successor of Dr.Han.

Maybe this isn't the first mostly female gang he organized. Maybe he organized a different gang earlier, before his confrontation with JJ, a gang that he charmed into thinking they were doing good. Maybe back then, he called himself, say, Charlie.

Which gives you his former Angels, older now, and looking for revenge.

While tempting, I'm going to keep with my original idea. If you really want to know who that is, PM me. I think you'll like it.

Well, "Shaolin Temple" is 1982, so Jet Li could be in if you wanted. Indeed, many of the actors you listed played characters who plausibly could have been in such a tournament before their respective movies, if you decide you want to backdate somebody in.

If Jackie's the same guy in all his movies, then you could add Sammo Hung's "Fats" from "Project A." Or Angela Mao? Or even Cheng Pei Pei as a master swordswoman?

David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine (not the 19th Century one, but the grandson from the TV series?)

Satoru Sayama as Tiger Mask? Or Antonio Inoki, if you want a Japanese character with an incredibly bizarre-but-true backstory?

Mr. T? As himself, or as recently-retired heavyweight champ Clubber Lang, or even as B. A. Baracus? dw

David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine (not the 19th Century one, but the grandson from the TV series?)

Write him up with no martial arts at all, just combat luck, DCV levels and a HA defined as "yet somehow, those blows hurt". He also has DF: White Guy Everyone Calls "Chinaman."

;)

Almost all of Jet Li's stuff was period (either late 1800s or older, 1600s) so I'm not sure who to cast him as. Project A is 1900s, so that seems too old for that version of Sammo. Of course, he was in Enter so one could say he's back after 10 years (and link him to his Marshall Law character?). I'm thinking of using Van Damme anyway, if only because that gives me a European to add to the mix (and he could be Frank Dux or some such). If I keep Sho (which I will) that gets me a Japanese guy (I'm shooting for a real international flavor), but I might salt in a few more Americans.

I've never seen a Cynthia Rothrock movie, except for Millionaire's Express, in which she was a Union Calvary solider (I guess). I'd rather use Michelle Yeoh for the "token" female, especially since she played HKPD in a lot of her films. Oh, and for true chuckles, I could have a really young Steven Seagal appear, as in the real world he was teaching Akido in Tokyo, before coming back to American in 1988 (Above the Law).

Sad to say I'm only vaguely aware of some of those names you've given me, Darren. I've seen a slew of HK films, bit only know a few actors names.

For more variety, you could have Bruce Leroy from "The Last Dragon" show up. Maybe Sho'Nuf comes up as a villain, too.

EDIT: Oops, never mind. Last Dragon came out in 1985: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Dragon

Yeah, a bit too late for the setting.

Sammo Hung played Sammo Law in an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. He was also in Enter the Dragon as Bruce Lee's foe in the opening bout. He is so in!

Darren, you're right, this stuff writes itself.

I've never seen a Cynthia Rothrock movie, except for Millionaire's Express, in which she was a Union Calvary solider (I guess). I'd rather use Michelle Yeoh for the "token" female, especially since she played HKPD in a lot of her films. Oh, and for true chuckles, I could have a really young Steven Seagal appear, as in the real world he was teaching Akido in Tokyo, before coming back to American in 1988 (Above the Law).

Cynthia could appear as Cynthia; she was actually competing in 1983, and was at that point a three time world Karate champion (in forms, not combat).

Julie Rogers / Tanya Roberts from Charlies Angels might make a fun token female; she wasn't actually a martial artist in the show, but she Tanya looked really good in a bikini, and that has to count for something. ;)

Jean Claude Van Damme is in as Frank Dux. By blending the two into one person, I'll get a pretty interesting character.

I'm now stuck for a female for the last PC. Michelle Yeoh as Jackie's partner? Han's Island is in Hong Kong.

And maybe Steven Seagal as an alternate. I could make him the guy from Above the Law. Done -- he's ex-CIA (so he can get called in there), Chicago PD (so we get the police link again), ex-Vietnam vet (which means a link to McQuade), studied in Japan (link to Sho), and uses aikido, which is nice and different from everyone else.

How's this for an obscure European star of Martial Arts films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Gruner

http://www.oliviergruner.com/index_content.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0344603/

You don't even have to assign a character to him, he fits as himself. He was in the French Commando Marine, and after getting out of the military in 1981 he studied martial arts full time...

My suggested addition to the group (or as a helpful NPC?). He is not a martial arts movie type as such - but he IS an ex-SEAL with several interesting friends, a ready wit and a very real knack for finding trouble. Furthermore, the time period (early-mid 1980s) fits exactly, amd even the locale seems appropriate. Plus, the notion of him being stuck in the middle of all this, trying to make sense of it all, is delightful.

My nomination is Thomas Magnum (as played by Tom Selleck).

How about Tom Laughlin's classic character' date=' [b']Billy Jack[/b]? After his attempt at politics ends in failure, Billy Jack may be looking for some cause to give meaning to his life, which could draw him into this tournament.

Maybe as an NPC.

How's this for an obscure European star of Martial Arts films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Gruner

http://www.oliviergruner.com/index_content.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0344603/

You don't even have to assign a character to him, he fits as himself. He was in the French Commando Marine, and after getting out of the military in 1981 he studied martial arts full time...

Hmm... I saw Nemesis, but don't know this guy otherwise. Like Billy Jack and Thomas Magnum, he might make for a good NPC and background color.

Want a European?

Benny "The Jet" Urguidez shows up in Force Five (crappy American version of Enter the Dragon) in 1981 as a competitor. Next time we see him, he's fighting Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung (Sammo plays an aspiring detective, Benny plays a corrupt Count's body guard) in 1984 in Meals on Wheels, then fights Jackie again in 1988's Dragon's Forever (Jackie is a lawyer, Sammo an arms dealer, Benny a paid thug for a cocaine lord).

So, Bennie gets passed over for Dr. Han's tournament, but keeps hoping, and eventually gets picked for the cult leader Reverand Rhee's tournament. He survives that, then comes back again for the tournament in Return to Doctor Han's Island. Failing to win again, he gives up on tournament fighting, and ends up working as a bodyguard in Spain, where he runs into a down on his luck Jackie (temporarily kicked off the police force) and Sammo (who's training as a detective). Getting beaten up again, he hits bottom, and ends up working for a drug baron in HK, just in time to run into Jackie (press reports claiming he was a lawyer, not a cop, were falsified to hide his involvement) and Sammo again.

Want a European?

Benny "The Jet" Urguidez shows up in Force Five (crappy American version of Enter the Dragon) in 1981 as a competitor. Next time we see him, he's fighting Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung (Sammo plays an aspiring detective, Benny plays a corrupt Count's body guard) in 1984 in Meals on Wheels, then fights Jackie again in 1988's Dragon's Forever (Jackie is a lawyer, Sammo an arms dealer, Benny a paid thug for a cocaine lord).

So, Bennie gets passed over for Dr. Han's tournament, but keeps hoping, and eventually gets picked for the cult leader Reverand Rhee's tournament. He survives that, then comes back again for the tournament in Return to Doctor Han's Island. Failing to win again, he gives up on tournament fighting, and ends up working as a bodyguard in Spain, where he runs into a down on his luck Jackie (temporarily kicked off the police force) and Sammo (who's training as a detective). Getting beaten up again, he hits bottom, and ends up working for a drug baron in HK, just in time to run into Jackie (press reports claiming he was a lawyer, not a cop, were falsified to hide his involvement) and Sammo again.

Heh, the perfect villain muscle. Wait, I thought Benny was from New Mexico?

• 2 weeks later...