Flying Dodge

Tonio

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Flying Dodge

As in, you spend your Phase using Flying Dodge (+4 DCV, Abort, FMove) and your mode of movement is Teleport? Yeah. It sounds twelve kinds of broken, but 'Teleport' is just a Special Effect, really. So this would be a good simulation of Nightcrawler in the 2nd X-Men film coming straight at you up the hallway. You can see him coming, but his constant BAMFing makes it pretty much impossible to hit him.

I'd consider it a great implementation of the rules, actually. :thumbup:

And Flying Dodge is about as balanced as a Mercury Sword, but hey, that wasn't the question.

I don't recall any specific ruling that says using Flying Dodge with Teleport is invalid, but even if there was I'd allow it. Not getting into whether or not Flying Dodge is balanced, using it with TPort instead of some other movement power wouldn't make it any more or less balanced (at least, not any more or less than using TPord than some other movement power in any other situation would be).

Just looked up Flying dodge, It's a half phase action that allows a full move, so it reads like you can half move (Say with running) and then flying dodge (With other Movement Power) to get a move and a half. It needs some combination of loose the abort, be a full phase action, provide less DCV, only allow a half move, and/or include the You Fall Element (Which I had assumed was in it from the name based on Flying Tackle).

As to the original question, if the maneuver is allowed there should be no problem using it with Teleport, Gliding, Swinging, Tunneling etc.

I treat Flying Dodge as your 'action' for the phase; much like I would Dodge or or anything else. If, on 4, you declare "I'm dodging" you're done; you hang out and start dodging. Flying Dodge allows you to move and dodge at the same time. Or I may be misinterpreting the rules, but no where would I let someone get "two moves."

It's listed as a half phase action in UMA, it's a Combat Maneuver which means it's a terminal action (Is that term still used?) but generally you're allowed a half phase non-terminal (non-attack?) action prior to a combat maneuver so you should be able to half-move before performing it. Changing it to a full phase action is something that might help balance it a bit more.

How I'd work it :

If the character uses his whole phase to Flying Dodge, he gets a full movement and extra DCV.

If the character has already used a half phase then uses flying dodge, he only gets a half-move (not a full one) and the DCV.

If the character aborts to the flying dodge, he just gets the DCV, no movement. It keeps flying dodge from becoming a super-duper dive for cover.

How I'd work it :

If the character uses his whole phase to Flying Dodge, he gets a full movement and extra DCV.

If the character has already used a half phase then uses flying dodge, he only gets a half-move (not a full one) and the DCV.

If the character aborts to the flying dodge, he just gets the DCV, no movement. It keeps flying dodge from becoming a super-duper dive for cover.

This is exactly how I work it. To me, the "FMove" element on a Martial Arts maneuver just means that the maneuver can be performed at the end of a Full Move... it doesn't include any kind of movement within the maneuver itself.

This is exactly how I work it. To me' date=' the "FMove" element on a Martial Arts maneuver just means that the maneuver can be performed at the end of a Full Move... it doesn't include any kind of movement within the maneuver itself.[/quote']

Why at the end of a full move? Why can't you run by someone, clobber him, and move on with 'a passing strike', if you have the movement left?

Am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Why at the end of a full move? Why can't you run by someone, clobber him, and move on with 'a passing strike', if you have the movement left?

Am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Technically, yes. Strictly speaking, the only maneuvers that allow you to continue moving after making an attack roll is Move By and Grab By (and in some limited circumstances, Move Through). While some of the Martial Maneuvers allow you to make that attack roll after moving more than a half move, they do not allow you to keep moving after making it.

Which explains why it's called a passing strike? The name implies that you can move past someone and hit them. Is this an official Steve ruling?

btw. I'm sure you're right from a rules POV but it just feels to me like you should be able to run past someone stick a fist out and continue on your way.

Which explains why it's called a passing strike? The name implies that you can move past someone and hit them. Is this an official Steve ruling?

btw. I'm sure you're right from a rules POV but it just feels to me like you should be able to run past someone stick a fist out and continue on your way.

You mean with a Move-By?

You mean with a Move-By?

In the Ultimate Martial Artist the FMove element (which Passing Strike has) allows a maneuver to be made with a full move, not just a 1/2 move. In addition it doesn't require that the attack be at the end of the move. UMA even specifically refers to maneuvers purchased with this element as being a sort of "Martial Move-By".

It also warns that this should be watched by the Ref, as it is potentially abusive.

Compromise, folks. FMove more than likely requires a full phase to execute if you, in fact, make a full move. It's simply that the Dodge component of it requires a half phase, during which you may be making the second (or first) half of your full move.

So, you are dodging while you move for Flying dodge. You may hit while you strike with passing strike.

Teleporting happens instantly, so you're dodging at the beginning and at the end, but you don't exist in the middle.

That's how I do it, anyway.

In the Ultimate Martial Artist the FMove element (which Passing Strike has) allows a maneuver to be made with a full move, not just a 1/2 move. In addition it doesn't require that the attack be at the end of the move. UMA even specifically refers to maneuvers purchased with this element as being a sort of "Martial Move-By".

It also warns that this should be watched by the Ref, as it is potentially abusive.

Mmm... I'll have to double check that when I get home. Do you have a page reference? I would very much love to be wrong on this.

As to whether or not what I said earlier being an official Steve ruling or not, I believe it was, but now I'm not so sure...

Mmm... I'll have to double check that when I get home. Do you have a page reference? I would very much love to be wrong on this.

As to whether or not what I said earlier being an official Steve ruling or not, I believe it was, but now I'm not so sure...

P 93 of UMA. Specifically the second column, first paragraph. Starting with "Attacks built with this Element do not automatically have to take place at the very end of a character's move."