"You Homo sapiens and your guns!"

McCoy

Trying to design a slot in a multipower to allow a character to destroy guns.

I think dispel is the power I want, a dispelled object "must be repaired, recharged or rebuilt." But not all guns are built on RKA's, some are EB, so the "expanded effect" would be needed, but how strongly? I'm thinking the +1/4 level could get any single gun, agree or disagree?

If insted of maing the guns nonfunctional, the character wanted to give them an 11- activation and side effect (11- the gun functions normally, 12+ it blows up in the user's hands), the only way I can think of to do this is transformation. Any other way?

Re: "You Homo sapiens and your guns!"

For the "blow up in their hand" thing' date=' you could have an attack with a Trigger that goes off when the opponent uses the gun. You would simply give the trigger an Activation roll (11-).[/quote']

But wouldn't the gun BOTH fire at the target AND blow up in the user's hand?

How about buying the Dispel as Cumulative, with the partial effect being an acquired activation roll based upon level of 'partial transformation'? That may require discussion with the GM for that specific effect, but I think it's completely reasonable.

How about buying the Dispel as Cumulative' date=' with the partial effect being an acquired activation roll based upon level of 'partial transformation'? That may require discussion with the GM for that specific effect, but I think it's completely reasonable.[/quote']

Comment from any GM's?

I was going to suggest linking a VPP to the dispel that is limited to creating an explosion equal to the base damage and damage type of the weapon affected.

Then I noticed the power is to be in a multipower.

You could link a 6d6 explosion and a 4d6K explosion to the dispel with the limitations of "triggered by the success of the dispel" and "the explosion can only equal the max damage dice of the weapon". If the weapon does killing damage the explosion is killing, if not it is regular damage.

A little expensive but is gets the effect and having such a narrow effect should knock the cost down.

The die may be high for guns but I am assuming a supers game.

Trying to design a slot in a multipower to allow a character to destroy guns.

I think dispel is the power I want, a dispelled object "must be repaired, recharged or rebuilt." But not all guns are built on RKA's, some are EB, so the "expanded effect" would be needed, but how strongly? I'm thinking the +1/4 level could get any single gun, agree or disagree?

Agree.

If insted of maing the guns nonfunctional, the character wanted to give them an 11- activation and side effect (11- the gun functions normally, 12+ it blows up in the user's hands), the only way I can think of to do this is transformation. Any other way?

I'm in with the Triggered attack with an Activation Roll. The trick here is to have that Triggered attack still be triggered to go off if the Activation Roll fails. It will go off eventually, given enough attempts to use the weapon. I'd be willing to say the value here would be worth 1/2 less a Limitation for the Activation Roll.

Any particular reason it just affects guns' date=' be they matchlocks, revolvers, or plasma pistols? Why doesn't it also affect watches, automobiles, lightsabers and sidewinder missiles?[/quote']

Because so far he's only targeting guns? Because he really hates guns?

Because his "EMP" slot that targets all electronics-based foci is hideously expensive?

How about buying the Dispel as Cumulative' date=' with the partial effect being an acquired activation roll based upon level of 'partial transformation'? That may require discussion with the GM for that specific effect, but I think it's completely reasonable.[/quote']

Dispel doesn't have a "partial effect" nor does Cumulative. Transform does. I'm afraid you've confused the two. :)

Dispel doesn't have a "partial effect" nor does Cumulative. Transform does. I'm afraid you've confused the two. :)

No, I'm just applying an advantage meant for one power to another one. It would probably require GM permission. That being said, you may as well us Transform for this effect. Transform working gun into broken gun, partial transform = activation rolls.

RKA area effect' date=' only affects guns.[/quote']

basicaly how I would, but Explosion not AE, some indirect, and penetrating...It's cheese, but really what is wrong with cheese, put it in between two slices of buttered bread, fry it up, yum yum yum

I am serious, that is how I would do it

Almost be more accurate to do it as some sort of AoE Selective Physical Manifestation EB' date=' if the EB has enough dice to destroy the gun, it goes off and damages the wielder, too.[/quote']

On the first question, to destroy a gun I'd go with an RKA with a Limitation 'Only Affects Guns'.

On the second one, thinking...

RKA area effect' date=' only affects guns.[/quote']

basicaly how I would, but Explosion not AE, some indirect, and penetrating...It's cheese, but really what is wrong with cheese, put it in between two slices of buttered bread, fry it up, yum yum yum

I am serious, that is how I would do it

This does have a certain logic.

A gun's DEF would be its active points/5. An attack that does 2X DEF in a single attack will destroy it, but just getting over the DEF would depriive it of a single power (5ER pp 293-4). According to the chart in Dark Champions, most guns would be 45 AP (and therefore DEF 9).

A RKA that does 10 BODY standard effect would be 50 active points.

A Dispel that would dispell 45 AP on a standard effect would be 45 active points, with the expanded effect 52 points, almost a tie.

So GM's would you allow in a multipower or VPP a RKA with a +0 limitation, "only affects guns?"

For the "blow up in their hand" thing' date=' you could have an attack with a Trigger that goes off when the opponent uses the gun. You would simply give the trigger an Activation roll (11-).[/quote']

I'm in with the Triggered attack with an Activation Roll. The trick here is to have that Triggered attack still be triggered to go off if the Activation Roll fails. It will go off eventually' date=' given enough attempts to use the weapon. I'd be willing to say the value here would be worth 1/2 less a Limitation for the Activation Roll.[/quote']

RKA with trigger, possibly indirect, and activation. The activation is on the triggered RKA, not the gun. If the activation fails, the gun goes off normally. If the activation succeeds, the attack goes off before the gun does, damages the person holding the gun, and if over the gun's DEF destroys the gun.

Maybe a couple of limitations, "DC limited to DC of the gun" and "no effect unless BODY damage exceeds DEF of gun."

Again GM's, what do you think?

So GM's would you allow in a multipower or VPP a RKA with a +0 limitation' date=' "only affects guns?"[/quote']If Area Effect, yes. If non-AE, I'd put a -1 Limitation on it.

Actually, I recall reading somewhere that by default, AE stuff doesn't affect Foci. Can't remember where, but I remember it since it made NO sense at all to me.

AoE is needed for the hurt the guy holding it aspect

Actually, you can make it AoE with a Limitation "Must Target Guns". That way it affects everything in the Hex, but you must aim at the gun itself for it to work at all. No gun, no boom.