Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

CaptD

Re: Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

Slot 13? It's above the AP cap of most of my campaigns, so, not generally.

If it were a 5d6 NND with the same defenses.. the defenses seem slightly too narrow. Toss in "Dimensional Powers or Extradimensional Origin" on top of the defenses, and I'd likely allow it, if at least one NPC villain in five had the defense.

Would I allow it in the same multipower as all the other attack powers (6 & 8-12)? Not a chance for a starting character. That's way too much versatility, far too useful mechanically without being useful to dramatic development, a few too many stop-sign powers and advantages and no indication that the character has room to grow.

That said, I do have a character with a similar power set, albeit with less of the attack power slots. It seems to fulfill a decent role in its campaign and doesn't terribly dominate the story, as far as I can tell.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it 200 meters to 10000km meters? Since he bought it 10000km = 1" and he has to move at least 1"

He bought it scalable down to 1 km, which would be the minimum mega-hex size.

As GM, you could rule that 1 km minimum is too large or too small, so could say he could scale it down to 100 m, or could say he can't scale it down below 10 km, for instance.

As for is this a minmaxer build? I'd say it's more a pure power build, since it appears to lack excessive non-limiting limitations (I counted less than one per slot) and stingy attention to breakpoints.

So.. slightly less offensive on the scale of bad habits.

I can see where you're coming from, as GM. Any character built on 450 pts who can put the average 1500 pt character in serious danger with one shot is one to watch.

yeah these are 450 point builds with 15dcs(15d6 or 75pts) as the cap. I wanted the 450 for more rounded characters. I believe the term is munchkin? I call it mini-maxing

I'll point out that there isn't an attack in that multipower that isn't more than 75 active points.

I'll point out that there isn't an attack in that multipower that isn't more than 75 active points.

Dimensional Distortion: Energy Blast 10d6, No Normal Defense ([standard]; Telelport, Extra Dimensional Travel; +1) (100 Active Points)

Is worth 100pts. Advantages pump up the power to make it effective.

He bought it scalable down to 1 km, which would be the minimum mega-hex size.

As GM, you could rule that 1 km minimum is too large or too small, so could say he could scale it down to 100 m, or could say he can't scale it down below 10 km, for instance.

As for is this a minmaxer build? I'd say it's more a pure power build, since it appears to lack excessive non-limiting limitations (I counted less than one per slot) and stingy attention to breakpoints.

So.. slightly less offensive on the scale of bad habits.

I can see where you're coming from, as GM. Any character built on 450 pts who can put the average 1500 pt character in serious danger with one shot is one to watch.

I personaly would throw in a 10" variable advantage teleport (+1/4 advantages)

Main purpose is two megascale's defined as 1":10m, 1":100m, 1/2 END, Difficult to dispell

Dimensional Distortion: Energy Blast 10d6' date=' No Normal Defense ([standard']; Telelport, Extra Dimensional Travel; +1) (100 Active Points)

I think, if I'm interpreting aright, the observation is that slot-by-slot the attack powers are all over the AP cap.

The lowest cost attacks are 90 AP, a good 3 DCs past the AP cap, and there are half a dozen attacks like this.

This multipower on its face is over the limits, and with more than the usual "Okay, you can have one something over the cap if it's really important to the character concept."

Dimensional Distortion: Energy Blast 10d6' date=' No Normal Defense ([standard']; Telelport, Extra Dimensional Travel; +1) (100 Active Points)

Yup. Your stated cap is 75. I was simply pointing out that not only is this attack 25 points over your cap, that multipower doesn't have a single attack that ISN'T over your cap.

Were I to be the Ref and I had set a 75 AP limit on attacks and someone turned in that multipower, not only would I disallow it, I'd seriously think about whether I wanted to be gaming with them at all. But I certainly don't know the whole situation.

would any of you allow slot 13?

Depending on the campaign, possibly. As Comic said, however, the range of defenses seem kind of small. I'd be more worried about slot 7:

10u 7) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Triggered by Ranged Attack (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (100 Active Points)

I do that with mage characters. I'll half the multipower be a force field and flight. The other half will be attack spells. I have found though. If you have a huge multpower like this one we are talking about. An EC is cheaper.

... I'd be more worried about slot 7:

10u 7) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Triggered by Ranged Attack (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (100 Active Points)

I see no slot 7).

Is my sanity-defense denying me knowledge of something that would cause me an aneurism?

Ah, well. Better I don't know what it is.

Overall, this seems like a power framework which, in the good old days when character sheets were written on paper, most GM's would observe, "Hrm. This is _double_ the AP cap. It needs to be cut in half. And I happen to have a pair of scissors right here. *slice*

Okay, I'm taking a couple of hours off to have a shunt installed, since there's bleeding on my brain from having to look at that.

Before I pass out, I have to say, no. No way. Not in a gazillion, billion years, no-how, for slot 7) for a starting character, without a limitation like "Usable Once, Ever (-0)"

Yup. Your stated cap is 75. I was simply pointing out that not only is this attack 25 points over your cap, that multipower doesn't have a single attack that ISN'T over your cap.

Were I to be the Ref and I had set a 75 AP limit on attacks and someone turned in that multipower ...

Yeah. I'd look at it, look at them, and comment as I handed it back, "Didn't I say 75 Active Cap on attacks? Redo your attack slots and get back to me."

On the other hand, I would allow the long-range transport thing -- though perhaps with a change or two. Let me see what you have, first ...

8u 5) Big Teleport: (Total: 125 Active Cost, 83 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), Targeting, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only with Mega-Movement; -1/2) (Real Cost: 50)

Hm. Hmmm. Heh. Heh heh heh.

Okay, require him to switch this to:

6u) Big Teleport: (Total: 105 Active Cost, 62 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale Distance (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (55 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 37) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Usable Only With Mega-Teleport (-1/2) (Real Cost: 25)

This basically gives him a safe teleport -- no walls or anything -- and an idea of where he's going, so he won't go into a lava pool or whatnot, but it's essentially inaccurate -- no pin-point precision. He can get within, say, a kilometer or so of his desired target, but from there he'd have to get there in a more normal manner.

Optionally:

7u) Big Teleport: (Total: 140 Active Cost, 70 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1), MegaScale Distance (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (90 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Gate (-1/2) (Real Cost: 45) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), MegaScale Range (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Usable Only With Mega-Teleport (-1/2) (Real Cost: 25)

Get you there, and all your friends, too. A massive 23 END per phase, though ...

This is not to say that there isn't a potentially great character somewhere with some parts of these powers, perhaps even most parts of several of them.

Or that some character in some 150 AP cap campaign couldn't justify having this particular fra *choke*

Uh. Okay. Maybe that would be going too far.

It is a powerset that crosses the line very vigorously, early on, repeatedly, and without stint.

It's not the builds I have issue with honestly. I've played in campaigns where they would be valid, useful and not out of line.

But given the stated AP parameters it is such a blatant disregard for the GM it deserves nothing but fire and death.

I have to agree with G-A, the only slot I see I would have a build issue with is I do not like the Missile Deflect trigger, maybe "Range attack that is perceived" but not ranged attack...

But scale, with a 15 DC cap, and no limitations... Cheese, and not the good velveta kind but the smelly limburger kind. I mean a cahracter with a 12d6 EB and 8d6 x10 END, cool, but this, this needs crackers and a dinner party

And of course a huge mp reserve with a whole bunch of ultra slots which aren't bought to the full cost of the reserve' date=' but no two of which are usable at the same time due to their size. Not exactly min-maxing.....[/quote']

Not true. They can have either their Force Field or the Invisibility up and use any 1 other slot except the Big Teleport.