Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

CaptD

Re: Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

Well' date=' my campaign can't really handle a guy who can go around the world in less than 3 seconds![/quote']

Depends on the game: I played a character (Phayze) who had a similar power, but gussied up with a few floating locations. He could, pretty much teleport anywhere on the planet. It didn't seem to hurt the campaign any.

And it led to amusing incidents like:

The PCs are staking out a location in Washington, DC, waiting for a serial killer. Phayze offers to go get food and comes back with chinese takeout. One player (We were all living in or around DC at the time) says "Where'd you go? There are no chinese places around there" and I replied "Oh, I went to this great place I know off Grant in San Francisco" :D

cheers, Mark

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true. Geostationary orbit is around 36' date='000Km. There are at least potentially reasons to Teleport places that aren't on the planet. ;) If there aren't in your campaign, you might want to mention to the player that being able to teleport further away than they will ever have any reason to do so is somewhat pointless..[/quote']

Hey, it gives you a heck of half-move :D

cheers, Mark

Hey, it gives you a heck of half-move :D

cheers, Mark

Heh. Except of course that Megascale Movement is by definition Non Combat, and so a Megascale Teleport already takes an extra Phase. So I suppose he could Teleport 25,000Km in one and a half Phases and arrive with a 0 OCV and 0 DCV, but with a half Phase left. Maybe to make a Perception roll or something. ;)

To me it looks like a weird combination of powergaming and failing to optimize at some extremly obvious points. If I'd wanted the same things, I'd first:

Split it up into a bigger Attack MP and a smaller Defense MP. Prevents me from going grossly over campaign limits (150 AP pool anyone?) and still gives me either force wall or force field plus any attack. True, you cannot do entangle + attack anymore, but how often do you want to deactivate your 20/20 FF in a 450cp game? Roughly Never?

You'd have to settle for a slightly cheaper teleport power then, but you should still be able to reach the moon I suppose. You really only need megascale for that, anything else can be done with a second, smaller (and more exact) slot.

I can see why someone breaks DC limits with some advantages (zero End without Autofire e.g. isn't *very* unbalancing usually, and only having 10 dice instead of 15 dice hurts quite badly, so I can see allowing 12 dice or 13 dice in that case). But all these attacks are about a hundred AP? And our cap is 15 DC? Where did these +33% come from? Either blatant abuse or didn't understand how MPs and Damage caps work. But it looks sooo blatant, I really don't think it was trying to cheat, since nearly everyone would uncover it...

The three attacks... Base EB with indirect? Ok. NND with erm... what kind of defense is that?... plus an invisible KA. Sounds powerful, but not directly broken (depending on the NND defense which I don't understand).

Teleportation UAA? REJECTED!

Missile Deflection n that form? REJECTED!

Invis, Teleport, Big attacks, Force Field, Force Wall, Missile Deflection, Entangle, Constant 0 END Suppress, ...

Why not take a VPP if you want every power in the book anyway?

Heh. Except of course that Megascale Movement is by definition Non Combat' date=' and so a Megascale Teleport already takes an extra Phase. So I suppose he could Teleport 25,000Km in one and a half Phases and arrive with a 0 OCV and 0 DCV, but with a half Phase left. Maybe to make a Perception roll or something. ;)[/quote']

I didn't say it was a *useful* half move :D

cheers, Mark

Can I just mention that megascale clairsentience is precicely as useful as the GM lets it be.

If I had a power that allowed me to sense anywhere in the universe, it probably wouldn't be that useful for day to day stuff: I might be able to see anything, but I've still got to know where to look. Unless the power is built with scads (and I do mean scads) of rapid sense, it is going to take as long to visually search a square mile of countryside as if, say, you were in a helicopter.

Is this a useful power? Hell yes.

Is it a game breaker? If the GM lets it be.

My biggest problem here would be, in all likelihood: what is it in a framework with? I even want MPs to make sense, not just be a collection of useful powers. If the rest of the slots are sensory/teleport powers then cool. If not, I'll be fetching the warm spoon and the nutcrackers.

Thing is, also, as a GM you can require limitations. Make this one something like TP linked to clairsentience (so you can only TP to somewhere you are clairseeing). Probably ought o be linked anyway if it is in a single framework slot. Then have 'can't sense....?' (-1/2).

What you can't sense might depend on sfx of the power: through magic fields, magnetic fields, iron, water, darkness, whatever. Sure I don;t want characters who can go wheer they want and look at what they want whenever they want, but this is a superhero game (I take it). They should be able to do some pretty amazing stuff.

This is, after all a 140 AP power, in effect. I'd expect other characters to have similar power at their disposal. You know the sort of thing: 7d6 RKA 1/2 END attacks. That sort of monkey.

Regarding Missle Deflection with that Trigger... seems to me it's really kinda useless. The Trigger part, that is. Missile Deflection is a Constant power that costs no END. So having it "turn on" when you get attacked, instantly, doesn't do anything for you. Doesn't save you any time/actions (you can just have it be on all the time), no END (since it costs no END to begin with), nothing.

Which, I believe, reflects a problem with how Missile Deflection is built. The Missile Deflection Power basically gives you access to a Missile Deflection maneuver (which isn't constant, and I believe doesn't cost any END, either). Clunky, IMO. But that's another discussion (or discussions, I think)... ;)

Regarding Missle Deflection with that Trigger... seems to me it's really kinda useless. The Trigger part, that is. Missile Deflection is a Constant power that costs no END. So having it "turn on" when you get attacked, instantly, doesn't do anything for you. Doesn't save you any time/actions (you can just have it be on all the time), no END (since it costs no END to begin with), nothing.

Which, I believe, reflects a problem with how Missile Deflection is built. The Missile Deflection Power basically gives you access to a Missile Deflection maneuver (which isn't constant, and I believe doesn't cost any END, either). Clunky, IMO. But that's another discussion (or discussions, I think)... ;)

Missile Deflection requires an Attack Roll which makes it an Attack Action. You have to have at least a Half-Phase Action available to use it. It is like Block but for Ranged Attacks. Trigger in theory would remove that Attack Action.

Big Teleport...

...does anyone else think this is a campaign killer power?

As an aside, consider the Megascale "house rule" that I use when I'm running a game. It has to do with hex sizes and Heisenberg. And I use house rule in quotes because I'm not sure that it's a rule as much as a logical extension of the rules that already exist.

When you teleport on a normal scale, you show up in a specific hex. But where in that hex do you show up exactly? The answer to the question, on a normal scale is that it doesn't matter because the 1"=2m hex is the smallest quantum of distance/area we've got.

On a Megascale T-port, in my games, it does matter. I tell my players that if they use Megascale T-port, they will show up somewhere (in some semi-random 1"=2m hex) in that enlarged hex. It's a lot like the Positional Uncertainty limitation on movement powers from way back when.

I would make the same ruling on the Megascale Targeting Clairsentience. Sure you can see into that 10,000km hex and target it... but you can only target the whole hex. When you move, you move somewhere/semi-randomly into that hex.

I've found that this inherent limitation to Megascale curtails a lot of the things you're concerned about...

Peace,

-keith, but not the cool one

Missile Deflection requires an Attack Roll which makes it an Attack Action. You have to have at least a Half-Phase Action available to use it. It is like Block but for Ranged Attacks. Trigger in theory would remove that Attack Action.

Oh I understand that this is the intent of putting Trigger on Missile Deflection... but is that what it's really doing? If you put Trigger on an EB, is the EB always "on", but only fires when the Trigger conditions are met? Or does the EB turn on and fire when the conditions are met?

Hrm... nevermind, I just re-read Trigger. You "use" the power when you set it up, not when it's triggered. The conditions don't trigger the power, just its effects (and attack roll, etc). Meh.

As an aside, consider the Megascale "house rule" that I use when I'm running a game. It has to do with hex sizes and Heisenberg. And I use house rule in quotes because I'm not sure that it's a rule as much as a logical extension of the rules that already exist.

When you teleport on a normal scale, you show up in a specific hex. But where in that hex do you show up exactly? The answer to the question, on a normal scale is that it doesn't matter because the 1"=2m hex is the smallest quantum of distance/area we've got.

On a Megascale T-port, in my games, it does matter. I tell my players that if they use Megascale T-port, they will show up somewhere (in some semi-random 1"=2m hex) in that enlarged hex. It's a lot like the Positional Uncertainty limitation on movement powers from way back when.

I would make the same ruling on the Megascale Targeting Clairsentience. Sure you can see into that 10,000km hex and target it... but you can only target the whole hex. When you move, you move somewhere/semi-randomly into that hex.

I've found that this inherent limitation to Megascale curtails a lot of the things you're concerned about...

I'm also doing that. Else megascale translates to "up to any distance", since you can just teleport 2" (giant ") away and then exactly 30 centimeters in front of that wall we talked about. But with that uncertainity rule that does not work. Sure, you can teleport to New York, but you still have to take a cab to get to the street you want to. Kinda like Hiro in Heroes. :)

I'm also doing that. Else megascale translates to "up to any distance"' date=' since you can just teleport 2" (giant ") away and then exactly 30 centimeters in front of that wall we talked about. But with that uncertainity rule that does not work. Sure, you can teleport to New York, but you still have to take a cab to get to the street you want to. Kinda like Hiro in Heroes. :)[/quote']

It also seems that virtually every long-range teleporter has had at least one scene where they teleport in directly in front of a car, or some similarly undesirable location.

One answer for this is to allow the character to use Megascale movement without Megascale senses, but require the Megascale senses to achieve greater precision over the precise location of arrival. Hiro, for example, can teleport vast differences, but cannot perceive across those same distances, and I think this is very common in the source material.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,

I explained to him through an email that we are going to use Page 28 of Fred to define power limits. We are using "High Powered". He made a new character. Some of it is like the last. Now he added Extra-Dimensional Movement. So now it's not jumping around the world in 2 t-ports it's anywhere in the dimension. Some other things that bother me as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Personally, I hate this phase of the game.

Cost Power

5 +10 EGO (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only for controlling summons; -2), OIF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; Amulet; -1)

5 Shadow Tentacles: Extra Limbs (8)

22 Shadow Sense: Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group)

30 Demonic Abilities: Elemental Control, 60-point powers

15 1) Tentacle Strength: +50 STR (50 Active Points); Only with Extra Limbs (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

38 2) Tentacles: Stretching 10", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Shadow Tentacles; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

32 3) Shadow Mantle: Force Field (25 PD/15 ED/10 Power Defense), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points)

20 4) Shadow Discorporation: Desolidification (affected by Divine Power), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

21 5) Shadow Jump: Teleportation 15", Position Shift, x8 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only from shadow to shadow; -1/2)

37 Arcane Magick: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

4u 1) Summon 2 275-point Shades, Friendly (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

2u 2) Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location), x4 Increased Weight (32 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

2u 3) Telepathy 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (Constant Power requires eye contact throughout use; -1), No Range (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

4u 4) Wall of Darkness: Force Wall (10 PD/5 ED; 4" long and 4" tall) (Opaque Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (74 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

3u 5) Soul Strike: Ego Attack 6d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 240

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

3 Tentacle Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 75 STR for holding on

3 Tentacle Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 13d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 Tentacle Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 75 STR to Disarm

4 Tentacle Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 15d6 Strike

3 Tentacle Sweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 14d6 Strike, Target Falls

Martial Arts Cost: 17

Cost Skill

15 +5 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Streetwise 13-

3 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 12-

5 KS: DEMON 14-

3 Language: Demonspeak (completely fluent)

2 City Knowledge 11-

Skills Cost: 31

What Dimension does the EDM go to? Looking at the power-set I'm assuming the "Shadow Dimension"

He does realize he still needs to physically travel through the other dimension to move locations in the game-world-dimension. And you can't use EDM as a cheap Teleport to get anywhere in the home-dimension.

I'd be inclined to say that Only To Control Summoned Creatures is a -1 Limitation, unless Mental Effect Powers (Mind Control, Telepathy, etc) are common in the Game.

It's not too bad honestly. No Affects Real World on anything so the Desol is simply a defensive mechanism (especially with Cannot Pass Through Walls).

Little Skills light for my tastes, but that's preferences.

Okay,

I explained to him through an email that we are going to use Page 28 of Fred to define power limits. We are using "High Powered". He made a new character. Some of it is like the last. Now he added Extra-Dimensional Movement. So now it's not jumping around the world in 2 t-ports it's anywhere in the dimension. Some other things that bother me as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Personally, I hate this phase of the game.

It is a stop sign power, tell him “no” if you don’t like it.

Cost Power

5 +10 EGO (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only for controlling summons; -2), OIF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; Amulet; -1)

Explain to him that he gets to use the +10 EGO for one control roll, and then he has to get a new amulet.

5 Shadow Tentacles: Extra Limbs (8)

22 Shadow Sense: Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group)

No problems for me.

30 Demonic Abilities: Elemental Control, 60-point powers

15 1) Tentacle Strength: +50 STR (50 Active Points); Only with Extra Limbs (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

38 2) Tentacles: Stretching 10", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Shadow Tentacles; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

32 3) Shadow Mantle: Force Field (25 PD/15 ED/10 Power Defense), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points)

20 4) Shadow Discorporation: Desolidification (affected by Divine Power), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

21 5) Shadow Jump: Teleportation 15", Position Shift, x8 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only from shadow to shadow; -1/2)

Personally, I wouldn’t allow Demonic Abilities as an EC. He could get Tentacle Powers as one EC and Shadow Powers as another.

He needs special permission from the GM to put any Charactersitic in an EC, feel to disallow if it is bothering you. Also, it is not enough active points to go in the EC.

I’m a little iffy on the Limitation on the Teleport. Talk to him about how he is envisioning that, my gut is saying that it may not be worth -1/2.

37 Arcane Magick: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

4u 1) Summon 2 275-point Shades, Friendly (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

2u 2) Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location), x4 Increased Weight (32 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

2u 3) Telepathy 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (Constant Power requires eye contact throughout use; -1), No Range (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

4u 4) Wall of Darkness: Force Wall (10 PD/5 ED; 4" long and 4" tall) (Opaque Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (74 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

3u 5) Soul Strike: Ego Attack 6d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 240

There is a reason the book specifically recommends that Super Heroes not use Gestures and Incantations, it really has the wrong feel. He strikes me as a little Limitation happy.

You build the Shades, not him.

EDM is probably very poor build for what he wants. Tell him that distances in the two dimension correspond at a 1:1 ratio. Since he has defined it as only letting him move from one dimension to the corresponding place in the other, no super fast trips around the Galaxy for him.

Honestly, I’m not really sure what his point with this MP is.

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

3 Tentacle Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 75 STR for holding on

3 Tentacle Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 13d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 Tentacle Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 75 STR to Disarm

4 Tentacle Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 15d6 Strike

3 Tentacle Sweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 14d6 Strike, Target Falls

Martial Arts Cost: 17

Cost Skill

15 +5 with Martial Maneuvers

High Strength, an EC, a MP and now Martial Arts? Yeah, he wants to try and game the system.

What kinds of OCV and DCV is he generating? He is near your campaign max with some of those attacks. Do you really want him to also generate near campaign max OCVs?

Me, I’d tell him that if anyone ever dispels his tentacles that since he hasn’t bought the bare hand element that he won’t be able to use the Martial Art, but I’m getting mean about Martial Arts.

3 Streetwise 13-

3 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 12-

5 KS: DEMON 14-

3 Language: Demonspeak (completely fluent)

2 City Knowledge 11-

Skills Cost: 31

Gah- it is obvious that his idea is to play a demon or a mage merged with a demon, and he is completely leaving out any really good flavor. Ask him, nicely, to cut out some of the fluff and some cool flavor and less obviously useful skills. Like suggest that he swap those activation rolls, if he has to have them, for Requires Skill Roll and pick up Power Skill: Magic. Pick up some more skills like some complimentary specializations: KS: Lower Planes, KS: Demonic Heirarchy, Politics, Bureaucratics, Intimidation, Seduction.

Do you have any idea as to what the character’s motivation is?

What Dimension does the EDM go to? Looking at the power-set I'm assuming the "Shadow Dimension"

He does realize he still needs to physically travel through the other dimension to move locations in the game-world-dimension. And you can't use EDM as a cheap Teleport to get anywhere in the home-dimension.

I'd be inclined to say that Only To Control Summoned Creatures is a -1 Limitation, unless Mental Effect Powers (Mind Control, Telepathy, etc) are common in the Game.

It's not too bad honestly. No Affects Real World on anything so the Desol is simply a defensive mechanism (especially with Cannot Pass Through Walls).

Little Skills light for my tastes, but that's preferences.

I'm not sure about it. The MP seems to be a completely separate set of SFX from the EC. He appears to either be a Demon that knows magic, or a Mage that is merged with a demon.

I suspect that the Disads include stuff for a "dark side" to the character.

It also seems that virtually every long-range teleporter has had at least one scene where they teleport in directly in front of a car, or some similarly undesirable location.

One answer for this is to allow the character to use Megascale movement without Megascale senses, but require the Megascale senses to achieve greater precision over the precise location of arrival. Hiro, for example, can teleport vast differences, but cannot perceive across those same distances, and I think this is very common in the source material.

I've managed to avoid this problem (so far) with the "Only to Defined Locations" Limitation. Fixed Locations are OIF Bulky (big, magically-inscribed slabs), and Floating Locations are OAF "beacons" that must be delivered to the destination before I can follow with a group.

I don't like "Only with Extra Limbs" here. With 8 extra limbs, this is just not really a disadvantage.

This makes the the Tentacles into Telekinesis at 50 STR. The only difference is he can be physically hurt if someone attacks the tentacles. That's something to keep in mind. Also, someone could restrain the tentacles and he'd be stuck. But otherwise this feels like meta gaming pretty hard.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with any power in a VPP or Multipower that continues on after the power is switched out. That includes powers bought with continuing and fuel charges. I'd make him buy this outside of any Multipower or VPP. An EC might be ok. But that's really a house rule.

So can he drag people with him into the Shadow World? With those cheap 50 STR tentacles? Hmmm....

Those are the additions I have. Others have covered most things pretty well.

I'll also add: for a High Powered Superhero campaign (300+150) this character does NOT feel all that powerful. It's pretty middling if I read everything right. A real combat monster could tear him apart pretty quickly, except for the Desolidification. A few Armor Piercing attacks while he's corporeal (25 PD -> 13 PD, worse on the ED) are going to hurt pretty bad.