RCMP

JmOz

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Not in this century. And most Canadians don't live in igloos either!

Really, the Royal Canadian *Mounted* Police no longer train with horses? Not that they ride them all the time, but they don't even learn *how* to ride them?

It wouldn't really be surprising, exactly, but it is somewhat ironic.

It is still not unheard of for the police to use horses however in any large city. I have seen mounted officers in Seatle WA., and have heard from my brother that he has seen them in New York.

Champions of the north page 34/35 would help you.

I would post what is there but I would not want to upset the big guy.

However I can tell you that there is no package in the book only examples and some story aboute the North West Mounted Police (Old name for the RCMP) being Formed To Protect Indians From Evil Americans.

RCMP like US FBI

RCMP has duties much like the US FBI. Counter Terrorism, federal crimies, crimes that cross provinces (in US states), and providing assistance to local law enforcement.

For the record I am not from Canada, but I love the country and have visited it several times.

FYI: Chicago and many other major cities still have mounted police patrols. Chicago's horses stomped hippies in the 1968 convention riots. I "met" one the horses, large, gentle, and very sleepy (hot day at the Taste of Chicago). The cop riding said that he could if needed chase poeple or herd them. That is the main reason cities still have them, they are very good at breaking up crowds of people and for intimidation (ie a PRE attack).

As for horses (how is this for hijacking a tread?)

I know that in my neck of the woods, both Minneapolis and St. Paul have horse police. MInneapolis only uses them for parades and such. St. Paul has them out patrolling the streets down town. (or at least they did when I worked downtown 2 years ago)

Originally posted by GamePhil

Really, the Royal Canadian *Mounted* Police no longer train with horses? Not that they ride them all the time, but they don't even learn *how* to ride them?

It wouldn't really be surprising, exactly, but it is somewhat ironic.

The RCMP still uses horses in ceremonial displays. The Edmonton police force (separate from the RCMP) has some mounted officers. But a package deal should reflect skills all members of the package have, and I don't believe RCMP basic training includes horseback riding.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

The RCMP still uses horses in ceremonial displays. The Edmonton police force (separate from the RCMP) has some mounted officers. But a package deal should reflect skills all members of the package have, and I don't believe RCMP basic training includes horseback riding.

Last time I was in Manitoba (oct 98) I saw a RCMP driving a camaro interceptor! The horses are still there--but now they're all under the hood. :cool: Mostly, though, they were driving modified Ford (what else?!) Crown Victorias. I thought they were on highway patrol, but was I mistaken? I didn't realize how many other duties they had.

DGv3.0

The RCMP is basically a national police service. A few provinces have their own provincial services, and most major metropolitan centres have their own, but the RCMP pretty much provides coverage wherever local authorities can't or don't.

They also act as a national force, although the segregation between Federal powers and provincial powers isn't as rigid as I understand it to be in the US.

Originally posted by Jhamin

As for horses (how is this for hijacking a tread?)

I know that in my neck of the woods, both Minneapolis and St. Paul have horse police. MInneapolis only uses them for parades and such. St. Paul has them out patrolling the streets down town. (or at least they did when I worked downtown 2 years ago)

Just about any city over a hundred years old still has areas where the streets were laid out for horses, not autos. Consequently, many of those cities have mounted patrols because in certain traffic conditions they can provide a more rapid response than a car or motorcycle.

Cities with regular large events, New York and New Orleans for example, also have mounted patrols that specalize in crowd control. When a horse moves you back, you move back.