What's this "Secret Crisis" thing in Champions?

Guest zarglif69

To get back to the original post, the Secret Crisis really did happen in my Golden Age campaign, allowing the players to spend a few sessions playing characters from throughout history (it was actually a sequel to an earlier story, where the heroes traveled forwards in time and met their descendants in the Silver Age, who went on to become the Fabulous Five and the Sentinels in current continuity.) Among the characters who appeared in that story as time-lost "superheroes" were Godzilla, Steve Austin, Dr. Who, the Lensmen, Kwai Chang Caine, Sherlock Holmes, the Lone Ranger, several Phantoms and the various superpowered members of KISS. dw

Originally posted by Darren Watts

To get back to the original post, the Secret Crisis really did happen in my Golden Age campaign, allowing the players to spend a few sessions playing characters from throughout history (it was actually a sequel to an earlier story, where the heroes traveled forwards in time and met their descendants in the Silver Age, who went on to become the Fabulous Five and the Sentinels in current continuity.) Among the characters who appeared in that story as time-lost "superheroes" were Godzilla, Steve Austin, Dr. Who, the Lensmen, Kwai Chang Caine, Sherlock Holmes, the Lone Ranger, several Phantoms and the various superpowered members of KISS. dw

That sounds really cool Darren! Any chance we could see some of the stats you used for these guys? ;)

Originally posted by Bazza

Amen to that. I'm about 6 issues behind reading Thor, funny that, eh?

Not funny to me, the way they seem to be butchering Thor's character at the moment I probably wouldn't be keeping up either, if I collected it. Wouldn't it be nice if they recalled continuity and ended this storyline by having Thor and the Asgardians needing to swallow thier pride and rely on Katie Power to save thier collective behinds? :)

Originally posted by Sketchpad

You know ... I really hope that Morrison never touches another super-hero book again. Give the JLA to Ron Marz or Mark Waid :) They write better stories IMHO :) Or have Jeph Loeb take it on for a bit ...

Geoff Johns. Geoff Johns. Geoff Johns.

That would be sweet.

Or now that his health is improved, give Busiek a shot.

You know ... I really hope that Morrison never touches another super-hero book again. Give the JLA to Ron Marz or Mark Waid They write better stories IMHO Or have Jeph Loeb take it on for a bit ...

Thankfully your hope will go answered. :)

IMHO Grant Morrison is one of the best things to happen to comics.

I and another GM did a big crossover crisis thing. We had a whole "dimensional destruction" plotline. We ran it for about 4 months. Our two champs campaigns were running concurrently (he'd do a plot, I'd do one), and the characters were fairly closes in power... not exactly but close enough. So I took some GM PCs into his world, along with some of the players doing same, and characters from his ended up in mine.

On my side of the overplot I had all sorts of dimensional problems around, and had published characters drop in. During the chat session after the game, I very carefully steered the conversation to favorite superheroes. I then wrote up who everyone's favorite superhero was, and in the next session near the end, introduced those particular heroes into my world for the adventure. I then handed out the character sheets, and said "Here you get to play these guys for a couple of sessions". Everyone was surprised, and it went over very well, and a great time was had by all. :cool:

Originally posted by Agent X

Ummm, what about the horror that is/was Hawkman/Hawkgod in the backwash of the Crisis? The Crisis didn't clean up a mess. It created one.

It wasn't Crisis that caused the problems with Hawkman. It was when editorial decided to make the Tim Truman/John Ostrander 'Hawkworld' series happen in the present. Had they gone with what they initially intended, and had it shown Katar and Shiera's adventures on Thanagar which took place before the two of them showed up on Earth, it would have been fine. Instead, editors thought the readers would be confused by the time difference, and placed in (then) current continuity.

Unfortunately, that meant that the Hawkman and Hawkgirl in early JLA stories couldn't be the pair from Thanagar, and everything unraveled from there.

So it was actually editorial shenanigans that are to blame, not he Crisis.

Originally posted by Dr. Confoundo

It wasn't Crisis that caused the problems with Hawkman. It was when editorial decided to make the Tim Truman/John Ostrander 'Hawkworld' series happen in the present. Had they gone with what they initially intended, and had it shown Katar and Shiera's adventures on Thanagar which took place before the two of them showed up on Earth, it would have been fine. Instead, editors thought the readers would be confused by the time difference, and placed in (then) current continuity.

And all this is really sad, because the 'Hawkworld' series was really, really cool. A very fine Science Fiction series.

Perhaps it might have been best left outside continuity entirely. Maybe the Hypertime idea, where continuity is "flexible" isn't so bad an idea after all.

One of these days I might build a Hawkworld series Thanagarian...

Alan

Originally posted by Dr. Confoundo

Unfortunately, that meant that the Hawkman and Hawkgirl in early JLA stories couldn't be the pair from Thanagar, and everything unraveled from there.

So it was actually editorial shenanigans that are to blame, not he Crisis.

Cool.

I do have a question: Who was confused by multiple Earths? I had no problem with it when I was 6.

Originally posted by Sketchpad

You know ... I really hope that Morrison never touches another super-hero book again. Give the JLA to Ron Marz or Mark Waid :) They write better stories IMHO :) Or have Jeph Loeb take it on for a bit ...

Check out Morrisson's "Earth 2" , very entertaining.

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Lord Mhoram

Morrison's JLA and Astro City is what got me back into comics after a decade long disust at the industry.

Hey, I agree. I'm not much of a comics fan, but I love Astro City. In fact, AC is what inspired me to play Champions.

Originally posted by Le Schtroumpf

Hell, bring in Shooter to do the book. Wouldn't mind seeing him run a comic company again either.

Shooter's run on the Avengers... especially around the whole "Trial of Henry Pym"... is probably one of my favourite periods of that book.

Originally posted by Twilight

I think what he meant was that stories by Morrison AND Kurt Busiek's Astro City where what got him back into comics again. :)

Thats exactly it. Morrison in the JLA were the huge massive epics that superheroes should be doing, and Astro City was all of the little characterization and color that makes comics come alive.