What's this "Secret Crisis" thing in Champions?

Guest zarglif69

Guest zarglif69

I saw it mentioned a couple times in CU, but they don't say what the $%#@ it is, except it involved "all the superheroes who ever existed." Is it covered in some sourcebook? which one?

It's an homage to (or perhaps a poke at) the 80's comic book series, "Secret Wars", by Marvel, and "Crisis on Infinite Earths", by DC. Both featured most of the major (and in the case of Crisis, many minor) characters of the day for their respective companies. Crisis changed the DC universe radically, while Secret Wars became part of the continuing story of the Marvel Universe without changing its underlying structure.

Well, I do beleve the "secret crises" is a poke at thoes two 'events'. While there was a good reasion for Crises On Infident Earths to warent it, in my opinion, Secret Wars (and Secret Wars 2) was a marketing ploy by Marvel to sell more comics durring the summer.

By the way, I did enjoy all three series. Which goes to show you that not all marketing gimics are bad (unlike, say the "Death" of Superman).

Unadulterated personal opinion: the Beyonder (from Secret Wars II) was the most tedious comic-book character I've ever encountered. The concept is inherently self-defeating: a being with the power to literally do anything has no limitations to strive against, hence is essentially static and boring. There's only so long you can listen to him whine about wishing he had limits before getting sick of him. He is impossible to oppose through force, which is one of the defining elements of the superheroic genre; and his very presence introduces a "deus ex machina" element to any scenario.

I shuddered when I saw Hero recast the Beyonder as "the Infinite Man" in Alien Enemies. At least that character had the potential to turn into a true world-threatening villain. :rolleyes:

Crisis on Infinite Earths was just a dream and one day DC will believe it's time to activate the "Dallas" Protocols:

Carrol Ferris-Jordan wakes up one morning and hears the shower running, goes into the bathroom and finds Hal in the shower. She then goes on to tell him about the strangest dream about red skies and purple lightning...

We could then just write off everything since Crisis as a case of too much "Queen Special Recipe" chilli. Extra spicy of course. :D of course with Grant M. coming back to DC maybe we will get the long awaited Crisis in Hypertime and things will be set aright.

Originally posted by Agent Escafarc

Crisis on Infinite Earths was just a dream and one day DC will believe it's time to activate the "Dallas" Protocols:

Carrol Ferris-Jordan wakes up one morning and hears the shower running, goes into the bathroom and finds Hal in the shower. She then goes on to tell him about the strangest dream about red skies and purple lightning...

What, you want to flush 20 full years of continuity and not call in John Byrne?

Originally posted by GamePhil

What, you want to flush 20 full years of continuity and not call in John Byrne?

What continuity? The DCU is more screwed up(not as bad as Marvel's post-Onslaught) now then it ever was before Crisis the only ones who couldn't keep track of all the different Earths were the Marvel Zombies;) ;)

All kidding aside I wouldn't flush it all, I would just move those things Earth II back to Earth II, etc. etc.

As for Byrne, it's just my opinion but the words over-rated and hack come to mind.

As for Byrne, it's just my opinion but the words over-rated and hack come to mind.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but in his day he was well known for doing precisely this: characters that had been "continuity reset" (made back into what they were, even many years before) were sent to the "Byrne Ward".

DC has kind of thrown the Crisis out the window with Hypertime ... which, IMHO, is a good thing, considering alternate Earths were always fun ;)

I was also a fan of the SW ... but only the first. For that matter, I also liked Infinity Gauntlet ... just IG, none of the poop that followed. Personally, I'd like to see someone blow-up the Marvel Universe and reconstruct it from the bottom up. The Ultimate books don't do much for me ... too bad they didn't keep the Heroes Reborn universe around, I loved some of the stuff they were doing there :) But then ... that's a whole other rant ;)

As for creators ... Byrne's art is great ... his storytelling is okay. As long as Claremont has nothing to do with it, we'd be all good ;)

I think DC really screwed the pooch with Hypertime. After all that troublwe they went through with Crisis to clean up the continuity and endless parallel orlds - they went and recreated the same mess. Eleseworlds is the perfect vehicle for telling stories of the DC characters in alternate settings without touching the "true" continutiy or timeline.

Originally posted by Sketchpad

DC has kind of thrown the Crisis out the window with Hypertime ... which, IMHO, is a good thing, considering alternate Earths were always fun ;)

:D Here's hoping the rumors are true with Grant coming back to DC:D

As for creators ... Byrne's art is great ... his storytelling is okay. As long as Claremont has nothing to do with it, we'd be all good ;)

Gods! I know what you mean. I'm really not looking forward to these two teaming up on a up-coming 6-part JLA story arc :(

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

...the Beyonder (from Secret Wars II) was the most tedious comic-book character I've ever encountered.

Amen to that. And here's something that made no sense to me.

[rant]

Kurse... whatever the hell he was (I didn't care enough about him to investigate) crossed over into my favorite book, Power Pack. He was storming down the streets of New York looking for Thor (cuz, after all, Thor lives in New York, right?) when he smashed Power Pack's mom through a storefront window. So the the Be-YAWN-er shows up and being the good samaritan that he is, takes Mr.s Power to the hospital.

WTF?! Why not heal her on the spot? ARGH! Although having their mother critically injured did lead to a few good stories (a pretty good New Mutants crossover where Valkyrie fights off the spirit that showed up to take Mrs. Power away) they could have done it without Kurse or the Beyonder.

[/rant]

Gods! I know what you mean. I'm really not looking forward to these two teaming up on a up-coming 6-part JLA story arc :(

No kidding! I'm ready for Superman to become Darth Vader, Batman to find out he's a Mutant, Wonder Woman to become evil, Flash to change his costume and Green Lantern to start wearing battle armor ... and none of it make any sense buy the time the story's over ... Good ole Chris, master of the dangling plotline ;)

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

[rant]

Kurse... whatever the hell he was (I didn't care enough about him to investigate) crossed over into my favorite book, Power Pack. He was storming down the streets of New York looking for Thor (cuz, after all, Thor lives in New York, right?) when he smashed Power Pack's mom through a storefront window. So the the Be-YAWN-er shows up and being the good samaritan that he is, takes Mr.s Power to the hospital.

WTF?! Why not heal her on the spot? ARGH! Although having their mother critically injured did lead to a few good stories (a pretty good New Mutants crossover where Valkyrie fights off the spirit that showed up to take Mrs. Power away) they could have done it without Kurse or the Beyonder.

[/rant]

Amen to that ...

[rant]

[/rant]

Makes perfect sense, just not within the story. Someone in Authority (the position, not the *shudder* comic) called down from On High and said unto the writer: Put the Beyonder in your story! And payment shall be continued!

So they inserted him into a fairly innocuous place in the story they were going to do, anyway. Annoying when marketing interferes with art rather than enhancing it, but there you go.

Of course, I'm likely stating the painfully obvious and it doesn't help, but what can you do? Send points to GamePhil so he can buy off some of his Psych Lims.

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

[rant]

[/rant]

On the other hand, it was sort of made up for when Beta Ray Bill and Thor had to channel the power of thier respective hammers into Katie Power in order to defeat Kurse.

I mean really the big bad cosmic heroes have to rely on a six year old girl in order to defeat the big bad guy. Too bad that didn't serve as a lesson in humility for old Goldilocks though, if it did we might not have this ridiculous Asgard storyline going on at the moment.

Originally posted by Klytus

I think DC really screwed the pooch with Hypertime. After all that troublwe they went through with Crisis to clean up the continuity and endless parallel orlds - they went and recreated the same mess. Eleseworlds is the perfect vehicle for telling stories of the DC characters in alternate settings without touching the "true" continutiy or timeline.

Since the advent of Hypertime thiere is not longer a true continuity or timeline

Originally posted by Klytus

Ummm, what about the horror that is/was Hawkman/Hawkgod in the backwash of the Crisis? The Crisis didn't clean up a mess. It created one.

:D Here's hoping the rumors are true with Grant coming back to DC:D

A team-up between Byrne and Claremont might not be so bad if they bring in Jim Shooter to ride roughshod over them like he did when they were on the Uncanny X-Men.

Originally posted by Twilight

Too bad that didn't serve as a lesson in humility for old Goldilocks though, if it did we might not have this ridiculous Asgard storyline going on at the moment.

Amen to that. I'm about 6 issues behind reading Thor, funny that, eh?