Membership Package for World-Class Superheroes

Pariah

I've had Justice League Unlimited out on loan from the library for the past couple of weeks, and it got me thinking. All the members have identification cards and earbud radios. They're all well-recognized, and for the most part, they get any help they need from local and national authorities.

So this got me thinking: What Skills, Perks, Equipment, Powers, and Disads would members of a team like the Justice League or the Avengers have to have? Some of the ideas I've had are as follows:

• Perk: _____ (Team) ID Card
  • Skill: KS Supers
  • Skill: KS Metahuman Law
  • Power: High Range Radio (IIF)
  • Rep: Member of _____ (Team)
  • Etc.

I'm sure there are many others that would fit the bill, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything right now. Ultimately, I'm looking for about 25 points' worth of equipment, skills, perks, and the like--something like a Package Deal for members of the World's Foremost Hero Team.

Suggestions, Herophiles?

Guest Major Tom

Re: Membership Package for World-Class Superheroes

Have you looked at the IST: San Angelo thread on page 4 of this forum?

There's a HERO version of the IST Package Deal there that might help

you out.

Major Tom :dyn

you out.

Here's the package deal Major Tom mentioned.

[b]IST Package Deal - [/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
8     [b][i]IST Communicator[/i][/b]: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 8[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      KS: chosen martial art(s) 11-
2      CK: host city 11-
2      CK: host country 11-
1      KS: United Nations & international history 8-
4      Language:  host country (completely fluent; literate)
3      Language:  English  (completely fluent) [Notes: Taking English is optional.]
3      Language:  French (completely fluent) [Notes: Taking French is optional.]
1      KS: history of host country 8- [Notes: Taking "history of the host country" is optional.]
3      Tactics 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 21[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
3      Access
11      Fringe Benefit:  International Driver's License, International Police Powers, IST Member Rank, Passport
33      Contact:  United Nations (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-

[b]PERKS Cost: 47[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
25     Hunted:  United Nations/IST Command 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20     Hunted:  Enemies of the IST/U.N. 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20     Social Limitation:  Subject to orders (Very Frequently, Major)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 65[/b]

6 Team Communicator: HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight, Hearing, & Radio (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

5 Contact: Detective Simon Queen. Police Liason (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

5 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers, Membership: Crusaders

2 KS: Criminal Law & Procedures (2 Active Points) 11-

2 KS: Super Villains (2 Active Points) 11-

Here is the 20 point version I am using for my project 275, some things would probably need to be changed/Upgraded but it is a starting point

Diplomatic Immunity

Passport

International Police Powers

Money: Filthy Rich

Computer Link: Global Supercommunity Database (Incl's KS: Supers, KS: Powers, KS; Superlaws, etc.)

Base(s)

Vehicle(s)

Mind Link (IIF)*

Universal Translator (IIF)*

* Mind Link to any and all teammates, plus the Global Supercommunity Database; Universal Translator via the same focus device.

Yeah, it's a Santa Claus letter. You did ask...

This is my basic package for an Avengers/Ultimates/JLA-like group, in an Iron/Modern age setting:

3 Criminology 11-

2 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 11-

2 KS: The Superhuman World 11-

2 KS: World Politics 11-

3 Tactics 11-

3 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers

5 Fringe Benefit: Law Enforcement/Military Rank

5 Fringe Benefit: Security Clearance

5 Money: Well Off

15 Optional: Contact: Your Nation's Government (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 8-

-10 Hunted: Your Nation's Government 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

-20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

More great suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

Now, for something completely different. But related.

One thing I've been thinking about where a "World's Premiere Superteam" concept is concerned would be a Code of Conduct that team members would be expected to follow. More than just a list of Do's and Don'ts, the code would reflect the ideals and goals of the team. It would give team members an idea what is and is not allowed in their interactions with the rest of the world, as well as protecting them from any number of dangers (lawsuits, possible prosecution, smear campaigns, and the like). Furthermore, it gives the rest of the world an idea what the team will and will not do.

Here's what I came up with for my team, tentatively called TerraGuard:

TerraGuard Code of Conduct

TerraGuard team members will:

* Respond to local, national, and international emergencies, including criminal activities.

* Cooperate with recognized civic, law enforcement, emergency response, and military agencies in response to emergency situations.

* Strive to prevent loss of life, personal injury, and damage to property in emergency situations.

* Uphold the principles of law, order, and justice.

* Respond anywhere and only where they are needed and wanted.

* Conduct themselves with integrity and decorum as befits true heroes.

TerraGuard team members will not:

* Involve themselves in political and/or military conflicts.

* Endorse specific political candidates, parties, or agendas; or endorse consumer products or services.

* Use excessive force in the pursuit and apprehension of criminals, or in the discharge of other responsibilities.

* Use team resources except for legitimate TerraGuard business.

* Antagonize, disparage, or hinder the efforts of civic and government leaders, military and/or law enforcement officials, other heroes, or the press. (The 'Jack Diamond' Rule)

* Engage in any behavior that reflects badly upon the team or its members.

Violations of the Code would be handled by the rest of the team. Punishments could range from an informal reprimand (a 'talking to' by the team leaders) all the way to expulsion from the group.

Team members would be expected to take the following Disad:

15 Soc Lim: Subject to TerraGuard Code of Conduct (Frequently, Major)

Thoughts?

* Endorse specific political candidates, parties, or agendas;

Nitpick: does that include social causes/groups as well? I ask because seldom if ever do such exist or operate without political aspects.

Also, does this preclude practice of the religion of their choice, even if that religion includes social or political activism (as a great many do)? What about activities in their secret ID (if they have one)?

Nitpick: does that include social causes/groups as well? I ask because seldom if ever do such exist or operate without political aspects.

Also, does this preclude practice of the religion of their choice, even if that religion includes social or political activism (as a great many do)? What about activities in their secret ID (if they have one)?

{emphasis mine -P}

Excellent point. Here's what I was envisioning:

Team members can (and are encouraged to) participate in any worthwhile causes they see fit to support. They can organize rallies, help with fundraising, volunteer, and by all means, vote.

They just can't do it in costume.

If, for example, Alex Kamensky wants to work for the McCain campaign because he likes his stance on national defense, more power to him. But he can't appear in a McCain ad in his heroic identity saying, "This is Enigma of TerraGuard, and I support John McCain for President".

Excellent point. Here's what I was envisioning:

Team members can (and are encouraged to) participate in any worthwhile causes they see fit to support. They can organize rallies, help with fundraising, volunteer, and by all means, vote.

They just can't do it in costume.

If, for example, Alex Kamensky wants to work for the McCain campaign because he likes his stance on national defense, more power to him. But he can't appear in a McCain ad in his heroic identity saying, "This is Enigma of TerraGuard, and I support John McCain for President".

I'd consider that a well thought out provision.

Indeed. It completely allows actions by government forces that would be criminal anywhere else in the world -- even in that country -- by dint of fact that they can't interfere with such forces. No overthrowing horrific governments, nothing of that sort; in short, it penalizes the heroes for desiring to make any real, long-lasting, permanent change in the world, and in fact actually prevents them from upholding the principles of truth, justice, and humanity.

"Captain Wonderful -- President-for-Life Chin Jiu Phot requires your assistance in the suppression of rebel terrorists and the defense of his government, which is a member of the United Nations. The TerraGuard Charter requires you to assist him. Get going."

Nicely done. My legal minions will see you in the morning for a job on the staff of Evil, Inc.

The smartest of organizations will do other things -- get themselves legally recognized as a country themselves, get themselves recognized as attache's of the UN, or something similar. Essentially, the goal is to become IDed as people who are normally allowed into the country under emergency circumstances -- man-made or natural disasters, alien invasions, etc. etc. -- and to be given full cooperation by said governments. If you happen to be recognized/licensed/whatever by a pan-national group like UNTIL, then your rules, regulations, requirements, and such fall in under their purview.

Of course, the very smartest of such powerful organizations will simply say, 'We are the Highguard. Behave and we won't have to come spank you. Treat your people like shit, though, or massacre them or such, and we'll be there. And you won't like it.' The Authority, basically. Just remember that those heroes who truly hold to their philosophies will -- must -- become either morally crushed (how can you not want to go into Angola and stop the regular, brutal raping of virtually every woman in the country by government or militia forces?) or international pariahs (because you went into Angola to stop, etc. ...).

• 5 years later...

you out.

Here's the package deal Major Tom mentioned.

[b]IST Package Deal - [/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
8     [b][i]IST Communicator[/i][/b]: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 8[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      KS: chosen martial art(s) 11-
2      CK: host city 11-
2      CK: host country 11-
1      KS: United Nations & international history 8-
4      Language:  host country (completely fluent; literate)
3      Language:  English  (completely fluent) [Notes: Taking English is optional.]
3      Language:  French (completely fluent) [Notes: Taking French is optional.]
1      KS: history of host country 8- [Notes: Taking "history of the host country" is optional.]
3      Tactics 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 21[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
3      Access
11      Fringe Benefit:  International Driver's License, International Police Powers, IST Member Rank, Passport
33      Contact:  United Nations (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-

[b]PERKS Cost: 47[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
25     Hunted:  United Nations/IST Command 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20     Hunted:  Enemies of the IST/U.N. 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20     Social Limitation:  Subject to orders (Very Frequently, Major)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 65[/b]

A great find.