So how does one build Captain Atom at 250 pts?

Arrgg

Re: So how does one build Captain Atom at 250 pts?

Simple answer: No

Complex answer: Now way can you represent all of the awsome power of Captain Atom, a superhero on the level of Modern era Superman in powers, on 250 points

Having said that, a fair to middling homage could be done, in his favor, you have a global OIHID on him, one of the weirdest suseptabilities I have ever seen (Damage as EDM through time)

give me a couple hours to see what I can come up with

Any version you want. Generic powers flight, super strength, armor skin which holds in his nuclear/quantum powers and allows him to absorb energy ect. Limited time travel, usually forward in time, depending how injured he was Force fields < via nuclear interaction ect, total life support/sealed systems ect.

Later versions gave him the power to manipulate energy and create matter as well

Hope that helped some.

Thank you

Arrgg

Any version you want. Generic powers flight, super strength, armor skin which holds in his nuclear/quantum powers and allows him to absorb energy ect. Limited time travel, usually forward in time, depending how injured he was Force fields < via nuclear interaction ect, total life support/sealed systems ect.

Later versions gave him the power to manipulate energy and create matter as well

Hope that helped some.

Thank you

Arrgg

Not really under 250pts but you might want to give this a look:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscomic/aju/CaptainAtom.HTML

-Carl-

Sorry' date=' night got away from me, give me 24 hours and I will have something for you...SURbooks is nice but the Animated Captain Atom is fairly different...[/quote']

Yeah not to fond of the animated version

Arrgg

First question: which version? The DC version? The Charlton version?

I'll assume the former.

The short answer is no, but...

One of the scams I regularly use in this situation is the "first issue rule". Basically, I build characters as they were when they first appeared. This is the point at which they are generally closest to a starting character in the Hero System.

If you want a more experienced/powerful version of the character, you have to pay the points.

I collected the DC Captain Atom series from the mid 80s, so I suppose I could always dig out the first few issues and take a look. One thing that comes to mind, though, is that he technically should be a bit of a skill monster, from his previous military experience. That alone suggests he would be on more than 250 points right from the beginning.

350 might be manageable. 450 should definitely be fine.

I'll dig out the relevant issues later this afternoon. I've got nothing more pressing to do, and I haven't read them for a long time. ;)

I would say no. Even to begin with, he had the military skill set, and fairly buff brick powers, flight, energy blasts, and the weird absorbtion combo. Trying to do him on 250 points, or 350, is like trying to do Superman on that much. Even an early or animated version would blow the budget.

You could probably do a passable homage on 600, maybe less if you take OIHID.

A first quick glance through the early issues of the 1980s DC series:

Could go with OIHID.

Flight, MegaScale Flight, Desol, EB, Strength. All could go in a Multipower.

Brick level defences.

Probably a bit much for 250 points, even with OIHID. Should be fine for 350.

The biggest issue is SPD. In his second issue he does an interesting superspeed thing. This might involve a bit of headscratching. It could easily be handwaved away, if we're not being too literal.

Technically, he _is_ built entirely on an OIF radiation containment suit, including every characteristic, talent, perk and skill.

Without it, he's a formless cloud of dwindling energy.

Still, not a character I'd allow as a GM, for that reason alone.

Technically, he _is_ built entirely on an OIF radiation containment suit, including every characteristic, talent, perk and skill.

Without it, he's a formless cloud of dwindling energy.

Still, not a character I'd allow as a GM, for that reason alone.

That would be the difference between the comic and the Cartoon, in the comic he is a guy who can transform into a silver coated hero, the cartoon borrowed heavily on Wildfire of the LSH, If I remember the correct name

A first quick glance through the early issues of the 1980s DC series:

Could go with OIHID.

Flight, MegaScale Flight, Desol, EB, Strength. All could go in a Multipower.

Brick level defences.

Probably a bit much for 250 points, even with OIHID. Should be fine for 350.

The biggest issue is SPD. In his second issue he does an interesting superspeed thing. This might involve a bit of headscratching. It could easily be handwaved away, if we're not being too literal.

Could he go desolid? I don't remember that one...

Could he go desolid? I don't remember that one...

I picked that out of issue #2, page 20. Looking at it again, he could just be smashing through the roof! He definitely smashes through the torch of the Statue of Liberty two pages before, which I doubt he would do if he could go desol. So it would be quite legit to leave it out. On the other hand, it might go some way to explaining some of his "invulnerability" effects.

OK, let's leave it out.

The more problematic issues are (a) the superspeed he exhibits in the same issue and (B) his quantum leap in issue #3.

I think (a) can be handwaved away. Basically he is either acting faster than an explosion can expand, or else he is racing against a fire spreading and/or secondary explosions. He doesn't exhibit the kind of Flash-grade speed required for the first interpretation anywhere else that I can recall, and the second interpretation is acceptably plausible. He's fast, but he's not Flash-grade fast. He certainly doesn't have Enter the Speed Zone, or anything like that!

(B) is a little more awkward, since I haven't yet found the issue. Reading back from #4, I think it would be fair to actually call the whole thing GM's fiat! Basically, the character overreached and would have died. ;)

Alternatively, he could have a No Conscious Control EDM. Personally, I can't see the point of him spending points on such a thing. It sounds more like a disadvantage, or maybe a side effect.

He does have a radiation absorption power. I'm not quite sure how to build it - it might just be Change Environment. Clearly, it wasn't up to the threat he used it against.

I would give him Missile Deflection too. It would boost his apparent defences, and allow him to stand in front of people and "absorb" attacks launched against them.

Both the powers above could be shoved into his Multipower, and not cost much.

I was hoping to avoid spending points on Life Support, but I don't think that's possible. He should have it, which doesn't prove anything, but he actually uses it too.

Finally, with respect to his skills - he can justify a lot of skills from his previous career. That doesn't mean he has to buy them all from the very beginning. If he needs to shave points in that area, that's fine. AK: Vietnam? Buy that with experience!

Perks would be interesting. Clearly he gains some monster government perks at a certain point. On the other hand, he's working for them, not vice versa, so it would be quite legitimate to shave points in this area too. Basically, his contacts only give him what they want him to have, not vice versa. He does have some personal contacts - Jeff Gosling is an example.

Basically, I would happily shoehorn all his Perks and Skills into 50 points and hope nobody notices. ;)

That would be the difference between the comic and the Cartoon' date=' in the comic he is a guy who can transform into a silver coated hero, the cartoon borrowed heavily on Wildfire of the LSH, If I remember the correct name[/quote']

That's correct.

The silver coated guy had his own series in the 80s. I'm basing my version of the character off the first few issues of that - the "starting character" version of the character.

It still requires massive applications of cheese - he's a near-Superman grade character.

Curious' date=' still learning rules, and he is one of my favorite heros. Can he be build so cheap at 250 pts? If not can he be streamlined to close to that?[/quote']

Out of curiosity, why 250? A standard superhero is 350, and even the basic version of Captain Atom would qualify as a standard superhero (definately above "low-powered superhero").

Indeed, the JLU version would be a Wildfire derivative, Captain Atom in name and logo only when compared to the original.

The original's limitations would be "OIHID" and "Restrainable By Means Other Than Entangle Or Grab," though he wouldn't have sold off his starting characteristics so it comes out about even.

And Superman level? I think only if we're using the baseline Superman; Plastique as an entirely normal (for a certain value of 'normal') woman with some TNT was a big danger to Captain Atom's, even before she had powers.

And Superman level? I think only if we're using the baseline Superman; Plastique as an entirely normal (for a certain value of 'normal') woman with some TNT was a big danger to Captain Atom's' date=' even before she had powers.[/quote']

Plastique appeared in issue #2 of the 80s series. She already had her powers by then. (She might have got them during Firestorm's run back in the 70s. It's been a Real Long Time since I read that stuff.)

Anyway, Plastique got the drop on CA in his normal form, and stuck him in a deathtrap. He got out, simply enough, by changing to his heroic form. This, of course, triggered the deathtrap, so theoretically there was a bit of a race between his powers kicking in and the trap (a bomb) going off. After that, there was a bit of a race between Plastique's HQ being destroyed, and Cap trying to find her plans. (I discussed this earlier in the thread, as it could be read as evidence for superspeed.)

This whole situation pretty much proves that OIHID is justified.

Anyway, later on, Cap confronts Plastique, sucks up several of her blasts, and then takes her out with a single punch.

Basically, Plastique was a normal who could emit blasts from her fingers. She couldn't hurt Cap in his powered up form, while he could take her out rather casually. He could also fly between major cities in the US and Canada quickly enough to thwart multiple simultaneous terrorist attacks.

Even at this stage, "Superman level" is not a wild exaggeration. Later on it becomes even more obvious. If you prefer, though, near-Superman level would be equally fair. "More powerful than most other superheroes" would be a fair minimum statement.

350 points is actually adequate for what he did in his first four issues. That's not unusual, in my experience. Most starting superheroes can be built on starting superheroic point totals. At times it almost seems like Hero Games got it right. :rolleyes:

Of course, it would be equally correct to build him on twice as many points! I haven't gone beyond the Back of the Envelope stage, but I think it would be quite acceptable to double the amounts of points I've allocated to pretty much everything in my build. That would definitely move him into the big leagues. But this would probably also be true for most of the other characters I've built recently.

Wanted to see 250' date=' now I see the difficulty, what if you had 500 pts to play with, say 350 pts with 150 disadvs.[/quote']

That would help, in that it would reduce the need for some of the corner cutting I've run into. On the other hand, it would be tempting to spend the extra points on simply upgrading his power level...

I've got a back of the envelope design. I suppose I could type it in. I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment, though.

Expanding the design wouldn't be too hard, as long as I didn't have to think about the energy absorption bit. I'd probably just allocate some points to a multipower slot, and design the exact power later.

Maybe after lunch, and a bit of a nap.