nexus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Build that Character on 350 points Challenge

Okay, let's try a Marvel classic....

Magneto

Magneto is a mastermind villain. If he is built on 350 points, it means everyone else (except Prof X) is built on 250 points or less. That's not counting his bases, followers and so on, which, as an NPC, he doesn't have to pay points for.

As far as his exact abilities are concerned, it's necessary to balance two things: his actual abilities in the source material, and his ability to fight the X-Men and produce an appropriate outcome.

Given the points we are on, and the implied point totals of the X-Men, I would say we are dealing with a very early version of the character. That's good - we don't need to give him every ability he has exhibited in the last 45 years.

On the other hand, he has to be able to fight up to 5 low-powered heroes at a time, possibly plus Professor X, without being beaten too easily.

To me this suggests a fairly simple build would be best, aimed at power rather than flexibility. He would also need a reasonable Speed and CV, to provide him with sufficient phases, and the ability to not be pummeled too quickly.

His biggest problem with respect to accuracy would be in his interaction with "real world" hardware like machine guns, tanks and so on. This is a common problem with Champions characters, and IMHO is best settled by Silver Age style campaign parameters/house rules.

Basically, the solution to this challenge requires access to a copy of his first appearance in X-Men #1. Unfortunately, I don't have it, so I can't be more specific than this.

Okay, I'll take a crack at Magneto. Built without followers or bases I tried to create a what Magneto early on in the series. Although, I'm sure I could have shifted things around a bit to boost his Telekinetic strength higher I wanted to make sure to grab other "Core Magnetoisms." Although he would likely need other members of the Brootherhoot to pose a truly vicious threat. Hope you enjoy...

Magneto

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

15 DEX 15 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

25 INT 15 14- PER Roll 14-

25 EGO 30 14- ECV: 8

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

10 COM 0 11-

2+30 PD 0 Total: 2/32 PD (0/30 rPD)

3+30 ED 0 Total: 3/33 ED (0/30 rED)

5 SPD 25 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

5 REC 0

34 END 2

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 115

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 25"/50"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

10 Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-½) 0

10 Deflection: +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); Linked (Force Field; -½)

10 Sence electromagnetic energy: Detect A Class Of Things 14- (Mental Group), Tracking 0

20 Generate Magnetic Fields: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots Gestures (-¼)

14 1) Defensive Throw: Energy Blast 5d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; Opponent Attempts to Strike ; +½), Variable Advantage (+½ Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; Armor Piercing or Area of Effect Only ; +¾) (56 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Object Containing Ferrous Metals; -1), Gestures (-¼) 6

Notes: Reacting to an attack Magneto attacks, often with any metal objects available.

20 2) Flight 25" (50 Active Points); Gestures (-¼) 5

20 3) Force Field (25 PD/25 ED) (50 Active Points); Gestures (-¼) 5

3 Resist Mind Control: Mental Defense (8 points total) 0

47 The Master of Magnetism: Multipower, 70-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (105 Active Points); Linked (Force Field; -¼); all slots Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼)

3u 1) Offensive Throw: Energy Blast 9d6+1, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +½) (70 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

3u 2) Lock Down: Entangle 5d6, 7 DEF (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

Notes: Magneto uses available metals to ensnare targets.

3u 3) Deadly Attraction: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6-1 (70 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

3u 4) Rend from within: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Does BODY (+1), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defense; +1 ½) (70 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

3u 12) Magnetic Manipulation: Telekinesis (40 STR), Affects Porous (70 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

3u 6) Break Down Object: Major Transform 4 ½d6 (Metal Object into Component Parts, Rebuilding) (70 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must contain some degree of ferrous metal ; -½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Gestures (-¼) 0

Skills

6 Magnetic Control: +2 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

3 Analyze: Combat 14-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 14-

3 Deduction 14-

3 Inventor 14-

3 KS: Known Mutants 14-

3 Language: Hebrew (Israeli) (fluent conversation; literate)

0 Language: German (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)

3 Mechanics 14-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Research 14-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Electrical Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Magnetic Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Mechanical Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Structural Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)

3 Tactics 14-

3 Teamwork 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 235

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: US Government 8- (As Pow, NCI, Capture)

20 Hunted: X-Men 14- (As Pow, Capture)

25 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty: Save the Mutant Race (Very Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Dislike of Humans (Uncommon, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidance (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Mutants (Uncommon, Total)

20 Reputation: Mutant Extremist , 14- (Extreme)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Professor X; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

20 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe

10 Social Limitation: Well Known Criminal (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

100 Dependent NPC: The Worlds Mutant Population 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x1,048,576 DNPCs)

Notes: Well in Magneto's mind anyway...

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Yeah, an 'early Magneto' is acceptable. We generally acknowldged that once he raised a volcano in the ceter of a Soviet city (I forget which one) he became a 'force of naure' and didn't assign him stats anymore. We also didn't take him on face-to-face for the same reason...

But it looks like Certified has certainly grasped the essence of the character very well. I give it to him.

re: the idea of '350 points'

This is really a PC centric concept. This means it really only applies to heroes as points really do not matter for villains except as a very general method of assessing threat value vs. a team of heroes.

Even when converting early versions of villains the points necessary are usually going to be more than 350 or whatever 'par value' that the starting PC's are built on.

For what it's worth I think that it's a mental exercise more than anything else. Can you find the core essence of the character and distill it down. The 350 point limit keeps the double edged sword ready, when building them hero or villain would I let a player get away with this in my game? Also, I think it's good to take some of these classic powerhouses simply to see the different builds that come out. Because there is such a wealth of history to draw on each version could be radically different. Is it fair to say that this a true copy of the character? Probably not but if I had a player tell me they wanted to play someone like Magneto I could say I have a strong base or on the flip side

should I ever decide to spring him on a party I have a baseline to build out from.

If I get to pick the next I'll offer a toss up either The Reverend Jesse Custer, a little Vertigo love, or to keep with the X-Men Mister Sinister.

I'd have had a hard time making the starting X-men cost more than 50 pts.

Before Scott Summers could punch holes in mountains, he had trouble punching holes in light gauge steel. Beast was the equal of a collegiate athlete in top physical condition. Iceman threw snowballs. Angel fluttered around like a seagull. Jean Grey had feelings, and could lift utensils, if she concentrated hard.

A 350 pt Magneto, on the other hand, is perfectly doable as a major villain who might hold his own against most 350 pt heroes, and not a few 350 pt hero teams.

Leaving 23 pts for Talents/Skills/Perks as an exercise for the reader, as well as his disads, here's one take that covers the powers Magneto displayed pretty well from my reading of him (albeit it's a bit.. bent as builds go):

+VAL CHA  Cost Base Roll Notes
| 95 STR    -   10   28- HTH Damage 19d6 12.5 kton [9]
| 20 DEX   30   10   13- OCV 7 / DCV 7
| 49 CON   78   10   13- 
| 10 BODY   -   10   12- 
| 23 INT   13   10   14- PER Roll 14-
| 23 EGO   26   10   14- ECV: 8
| 25 PRE   15   10   14- PRE Attack: 5d6
| 10 COM    -   10   11-
| 19  PD    -    3       31 PD (12 rPD)
| 10  ED    -    4       22 ED (12 rED; 32 vs Electricity)
|  4 SPD   10    3       Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
| 29 REC    -   29
| 98 END    -   98
| 83 STUN   -   83
+ 
|  6 RUN    -    6"      [1]
|  2 SWIM   -    2"      [1]
|  3 LEAP   -   19"      19" forward, 10" upward [9]
+CHA Cost: 172

+Cost POWERS
|  7 3d6 Absorb (-1: Electricity Only) to END 'Electromagnetic Nature' 15 AP []
| 24 12 rPD / 12 rED Armor (-1/2: OIF) 'Steel Cloth Suit' 36 AP []
| 57 +85 STR (-1/2: Only vs. Metal) 'Magnetic Mastery' 85 AP [8]
|  3 +10 ED (-1: Electricity Only; -1/2: Linked to Absorbtion; -1/2: Only Up To Amount Absorbed) 'Electromagnetic Deflection' 20 AP []
|  3 5 pts Mental Defense  (-1/2: OIF Helmet) 'Dorky Helmet' []
| 45 VPP Magnetic Powers (All Powers Only vs. Metal) 45 AP []
| 16 VPP Control (+1/2 Powers Can Be Changed as 1/2 Phase; -1/2: Powers Only vs. Metal , -1/2: RSR Magnetic Power) 33 AP []
| Example VPP Powers: Extra Limbs, Flight, Stretching, Transform Metal To Magnetic Barrier Projector
+POWERS Cost: 155

Sorry, Comic, two problems.

First... 95 STR? I could see 95 STR TK, but not 95 STR raw.

Second, where are the disads? You could have a least copied Certified's list, or simply said 'same as on Certifed's version.'

Okay, I admit, I'm nitpicky that way, but a character without disads is just a set of combat statistics.

Sorry, Comic, two problems.

First... 95 STR? I could see 95 STR TK, but not 95 STR raw.

Second, where are the disads? You could have a least copied Certified's list, or simply said 'same as on Certifed's version.'

I think that comes from the +85 Strength only vs Metals but Comic forgot to toggle "Do not add to Primary characteristic"

Does Magneto use STR or TK?

Cheesy answer:

If he does use Tk, the power, it could easily be drawn from his VPP (also) instead of his impressive STR... which has only one use, to allow Magneto to break out of a grapple by Hercules in one issue of New Mutants. (Counting Hercules as metal because of the big metal cape of Magneto's that Hercules wrapped him up in). Also, not only does Magneto use his powers over metal with the precision of Fine Work, but he also uses it with a sort of direct, palpable intimacy -- he's not just moving metals with magnetic waves, he is the magnetic waves -- to do things like sculpting, swordfighting and shooting that are a bit of a stretch for Tk, but work well as uses of Extra Limbs with Stretching with Does Not Pass Through Intervening Space. Since his powers don't work Indirectly in the usual sense (ie he needs to have metal nearby to affect metal at a distance), STR seems a better fit than Tk for his most significant effects.

I didn't select 'Does not add to Primary Characteristics' simply because when there's metal around, Magneto's much more impressive in virtually every physical way. So when there's no metal, just very neatly subtract 19 PD, 19 REC and 43 STUN and you're done. You have a brick who can be pricked with a glass splinter or piece of rigid plastic.

Non-cheesy answer:

No way I'd allow this build for Magneto. STR has no basis, the character isn't a brick, he should be using Tk, Vulnerability and various other limitations to achieve the above effects.

Magneto does primarily rely on his magnetic powers, hwoever he can use his magnetic powers to increase his strength. This would be due to the metal mesh suit he wears. This is beneficial for him to do as he often has to face opponents where his powers may not be able to directly affect them, like the Sentinels, or certain other opponents.

In truth, the Magneto of the comics is disgustingly powerful...not when he first appearend mind you, but as he has progressed over the years.

Here is what Marvel has posted on his actual abilities and gear.

Powers

Magneto possesses the power to control all forms of magnetism. He can shape and manipulate magnetic fields that exist naturally or artificially. It is unclear, however, whether he must draw magnetic force from outside himself (if so, then he can do so over vast distances), or whether he can also generate magnetic force from within himself. Nor is it clear whether Magneto's power is psionic or purely physiological in nature. Magneto's power is, for all practical purposes, limitless. Moreover, he can use his magnetic powers in more than one way simultaneously. He can completely assemble a complicated machine within seconds through his powers. He can erect magnetic force fields with a high degree of impenetrability around himself for protection.

Although Magneto’s primary power is control over magnetism, he can also project or manipulate any form of energy that is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, including visible light, radio waves, ultraviolet light, gamma rays, and x-rays. However, Magneto almost always uses only magnetism, since it’s more difficult for him to manipulate other forms of energy. Magneto has also exhibited powers of astral projection and telepathy, and has claimed to be able to control the minds of others, though his abilities along these lines appear to be minimal.

Magneto’s ability to wield his superhuman powers effectively is dependent upon his physical condition. When severely injured, his body is unable to withstand the strain of manipulating great amounts of magnetic forces.

Abilities

Magneto has mastered many technological fields, and is an expert on genetic manipulation and engineering, with knowledge far beyond that of contemporary science. He is considered to be a genius in these fields. He can mutate humans in order to give them superhuman powers, or create adult clones of human beings and then manipulate the genetic structures of these clones during their development. He has also learned how to create artificial living beings. Magneto is also an excellent strategist, both in actual battles and games of chess.

Paraphernalia

Magneto's helmet is designed to prevent telepathic intrusion or psionic attacks. Magneto has designed such creations as magnetically-powered craft, complex robots and computers, and magnetically-powered generators.

Now for Disadvantages...Yes, the X-Men are one of them. But so are the Avengers & SHIELD. And more over there is Wolverine who is significant of a threat to be a singular hunted (he wants nothing more than to kill Magneto when given the chance, regardless of orders from Cyclops or Xavier--but he often minds their orders...and he's succeeded in killing a Magneto clone, as well as severaly injuring Magneto more than once, although on the one occasion Logan had the Adamantium ripped from his skeleton---and yes, it nearly killed him).

He's also egotistic, a highly wanted criminal, he has trouble bringing himself to try and kill Xavier due to their old friendship...and the two still are friends in some respects, but stand on two sides of the fence. And he has a bit of a messia complex. (Not a god complex, he sees himself as a savior.)

Does Magneto use STR or TK?

Cheesy answer:

If he does use Tk, the power . . . . [does] things like sculpting, swordfighting and shooting that are a bit of a stretch for Tk, but work well as uses of Extra Limbs with Stretching with Does Not Pass Through Intervening Space....

I didn't select 'Does not add to Primary Characteristics' simply because when there's metal around, Magneto's much more impressive in virtually every physical way. So when there's no metal, just very neatly subtract 19 PD, 19 REC and 43 STUN and you're done.....

Non-cheesy answer:

No way I'd allow this build for Magneto

Comic, you are one crazy guy. But as an exercise in creative building, this rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to the thread. If it's still going on I'd like to see

Midnighter

That ones is either incredibly tough or really damn easy.

On his best day, Midnighter is the baddest man on the planet. He eats 1000+ point versions of Captain America and Batman for breakfast.

On other days, he's just a slightly above average martial artist with moderate to high physical stats, decent defenses, Regen, some LS... and a lot of hot air....

I could definitely do the latter on 350 pts ;)

That ones is either incredibly tough or really damn easy.

On his best day, Midnighter is the baddest man on the planet. He eats 1000+ point versions of Captain America and Batman for breakfast.

On other days, he's just a slightly above average martial artist with moderate to high physical stats, decent defenses, Regen, some LS... and a lot of hot air....

I could definitely do the latter on 350 pts ;)

His ability level does seem to swing around wildly from issue to issue, writer to writer. I think he's kind of like high end Superman or Spiderman's Spider Sense. He's been so hyped that allot of writers don't want to deal with him at full power but there are really get off on it and play it up until it's ridiculous.

Personally, I'd like to see him written as a competent, reasonable character somewhere between those two extremes. He's a combat cyborg/ultimate soldier type but there's no need to make him godlike. Hawksmoor can often fight him to a standstill even come close to winning.