Turakian Age Maps

TechnoViking

Re: Turakian Age Maps

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

Any chance of releasing a map set for the Turakian Age (after The Turakian Age has been released, of course)?

I would be willing to pay $15 - $20 for a good map set.

Mike

Some devoted gamer, with talent and CC2 Pro in probably post maps for download.

Heck I am sure people will contribute all kinds of things.

Although art is notoriously guarded.

This kind of treads close to blurry copyright grounds, but would it be kosher for someone to draw the Turakian (and Valdorian for that matter) maps from material already published, scan them into an appropriate format and have the wonderful, hard working and long suffering DOJ crew put them up in the "Free Stuff" area? Provided, of course that the result of such an endeavour meets the established high quality and meticulous attention to detail demanded by Long, Watts, and company?

GURPS Fantasy 2nd Ed

The same reason behind most of our business decisions: because they cost too much money to produce relative to what we can charge for them and how many we expect to sell. In short: they're not sufficiently profitable.

What about including it at the end of the book like SJG did for Fantasy 2nd? I'd be willing to pay more for a book with a nice map.

Self-Printing Map Download for Free or For Charge?

Steve,

Even if you can't afford to print maps for any of the HERO Games official settings profitably as a company, if someone did say a Campaign Cartographer ( http://www.profantasy.com/ ) version of maps, would you consider putting it on the HERO webpage for download so that the fans could download them for free and then get the maps printed at their own expense?

Or maybe put the e-file in the online store and charge a nominal fee for the map and have the fee cover permission to have the map printed for personal use?

I understand the economics of print and profit (especially in small runs) and what you are saying, but Fantasy fans really like maps and anything you can do to help them get a big poster sized map would be a real fan pleaser ...

Surely there's some mutually beneficial arrangement out there somewhere...

Maps are expensive

Really expensive. Privateer Press made a great map and put it in "Lock and Load." I bet that prevents "Lock & Load" getting another printing. Just a guess - I would bet that that one insert cost almost 40% of the entire "Lock & Load" project. Having done printing for other projects I know it gets pricy fast.

However, home office printers are getting better and better - my cheapo Lexmark Z52 prints great. I think the suggestions about using campaign cartographer are great. I think the software costs more than my printer does!

Pete