WWYCD: Tee Vee Comes to Town

Hermit

Pardon, I was inspired when I thought of making a villain who was a mix of Mister Mxyzptlk and Mojo.

Your superhero has just foiled a crime (nothing fancy, street level punks who were trying to bust into a store window to get at some TVs) when suddenly a figure appears floating in mid air. With a two wide grin, a somewhat gaudy powersuit (and I don't mean powered armor) and a pair of shades that just scream insincerity, the slim fellow introduces himself, "Boffo, socko, lovely stuff...but not what the audiance is wanting. No zing. No pizazz. We need to sex it up a bit. Oh, Hiya, I'm Tee Vee, soon to be your best friend. Seriously kid, you're beautiful, don't change... too much. You know, we're in the same biz, you like helping people, and I like helping people. Like the man said '"You are born, you live your life in torment and humiliation and then you die...You need to watch television to distract yourself from your miserable destiny." And that's what I do. And you're going to help me, ratings are going down... oh well, SHOWTIME!" and with a wink behind his shades (Somehow you know he's winking even though he's wearing them) and miming pistol shots with his fingers, your character wakes up to find himself in a situation which can only be described as reality altered to mimic a TV show or type.

Nor is he alone. Various people in his life have also been changed, some grossly out of character for their normal behavior, others fitting in, just in different ways. Supervillains might be rival contestants. Romantic interests might be in odd soapoperic parts...and so on. The universe itself is altered to fit the 'set' provided in otherways, and your hero's costume has been slightly altered to some degree to fit in. They might also have a new hair style that fits.

There is a slight urge (successful ego rolls allow you to easily ignore it) to act the part you've been given. Others seem more caught up in it, and it would appear that the show gets increasingly crazy or dangerous the more time goes on. Your powers work... mostly. Sometimes they seem weaker, or to have the flavor of them altered a bit, and the others around you seem to be almost blaise about them or just try to incorporate them into the 'show'.

Pick a TV show that you might find amusing/challenging for your character. If you can't think of one, feel free to roll 1d6 and consult the chart:

1) American Gladiators, only a bit more dangerous! At least one of your hunteds will be there to fight also.

2) Jerry Springer like show, where various folks your character knows speak their mind, or at least seem to. Secrets will be revealed, tempers will flare...etc. Things will get outrageous.

3) Star Trek (The Original Series) rerun- Or a parody version of it. Your character is cast into the niche normally filled by another character, and things are twisted. If you are in the part of Kirk, everyone will treat you like a lecherous ego maniac, if you are Spock, folks will demand you know all sciences and get panicky if you show emotions convinced you've been possessed. If you are one of the female parts, you find yourself being patronized, or told to fetch space coffee (of course, a female superhero could find herself as Captain instead)...and so on.

4) A law show- Suddenly your character appears to be playing the part of a defense lawyer. Again, things are slightly twisted to match BAD TV. It seems if you lose the case, someone you care about could get the chair (and right away too!) . The prosecuting attorney is a supervillain you normally clash with, and the Judge maybe too. Think Harvey Birdman attorney at law.

5) Bernie's playhouse!- Bernie the lavender T Rex has a special guest to introduce the kids to today, it's YOU! With anthropomorphism run amok, 'Funny' things like couches biting your character's butt, muppets using flame throwers, and so on will occur. And heaven HELP you if you refuse to sing along with Bernie

6) A bad espionage/superspy show- You find yourself behind a large desk, possibly stroking a cat. A group of unsavory looking sorts (in real life, a few old foes, a few old friends, some family) with odd motiffs (Though not supercostumed) await your orders. One alerts you that Agents have broken into your secret volcano lair, and have orders to eliminate you. What are your orders? It would appear your romantic interest, your best friend, and one of your fellow heroes have been cast into the role of Men From Uncle or Charlie's Angels. You're the evil Mastermind, and your powers aren't working well at all, though you DO have lots of goons to stop them from 'terminating' you....only problem? Your goons may kill the "enemy agents" ( your loved ones or friends in trying to protect you).

WWYCD?

If your character has mental powers

Tee Vee is of the alien class of minds, has some decent (but not overwhelming) mental defense, and going through his brain is like channel surfing (Mental Illusions Damage Shield 6d6). You MIGHT be able to learn his weaknesses. Oh, and yes, those really are your foes, friends,etc along with you. You can, using your powers, bring them to their senses temporarily during 'the show' but they'll go under again in five minutes or so.

If your character has mystical/cosmic senses

Tee Vee is extra dimensional, not of your world, he also incredibly powerful. He's not exactly magical, closer to cosmic, but has elements of both. There does seem to be some sort of odd light behind him that the normal eye can't see, almost as if he's being projected. Reality really HAS been changed, and though it will change back, you are sure the consequences will translate as well. If a person dies here, they may well stay dead when/if reality turns back.

Tee Vee himself seems almost 'off stage' though he comes in to chat for 'commercial breaks' , giving unwanted advice, and tormenting you. He shatters easily, only to reform a few feet away like a TV image coming back on to continue.

Ways to get rid of him? Here's some, though you might want to post first and then see if your character tried one of them.You may think of others that would also work fine.

1) Turning off all the TVs in two square miles will send him back to his own dimension, and have all turn back to normal.

2) Do nothing, and be so boring as to 'kill ratings' so he leaves, of course, not all shows will allow this as some will get you or loved ones killed instead. If you can somehow convince/make the other characters to also do nothing? You've definitely got him.

3) Grab a book and hit him with it. Yes, apparently plain old pictureless paper filled books are his one susceptibility, and will eventually club him to zero stun causing him to fade and all right itself.

4) Trick him into signing on an ironclad contract that offers you complete creative control or final script approval.

Hope you enjoy, I did this as much to get my creative juices flowing on types of TV shows to torment my players and their characters with as a 'What Would Your Character Do' thing, so feel free to suggest others after speaking for your own characters' reactions. I'd appreciate it. :)

Re: WWYCD: Tee Vee Comes to Town

Bolo would sit down at a computer for a few hours and type up a script of things that happened previously, then segue into a scene where he convinces Tee Vee to return everything to normal by playing "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Energy Blast" for max comedic effect. Make sure the script includes a note that this is the season finale, so you have some down-time before Tee Vee pops up again.

Either that, or get the Screen Actors Guild to picket the city, since none of the people in this "reality show" are union members. :D

I'll roll randomly for mine since I know all the answers anyway and don't want to cheat...

much

Aquatic- I got a 4. Aquatic ends up as Defense Attorney for Meghan, who is normally a liaison for the team (as well as his romantic interest) but is currently on trial for MURDER!*Dun dun dun*. Leviathan is the prosecuting attorney, with sharks as his paralegals. Judge Boa Constrictor is picking his nose. Bailiffs Mimic and Archer will not hestiate to stomp on Aquatic if he gets out of line. Confused at first, Aquatic feels totally out of his depth (Pun intended), but in the end, through hard work, and getting beat up meeting contacts, proves that Meghan did NOT murder Black Palidan, but rather it was BP himself who murdered his old identity by taking on a crown of Krim and becoming the villain Majestic.

He then gets sent to another show, but eventually might stumble onto a way out of this...

Bolo would sit down at a computer for a few hours and type up a script of things that happened previously, then segue into a scene where he convinces Tee Vee to return everything to normal by playing "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Energy Blast" for max comedic effect. Make sure the script includes a note that this is the season finale, so you have some down-time before Tee Vee pops up again.

Get him to sign on that script and it definitely works. Might work anyway :)

Either that, or get the Screen Actors Guild to picket the city, since none of the people in this "reality show" are union members. :D

Fiendish. :eek:

(Is it sad that I'm responding more to my own thread than anyone else? Probably, gonna do it anyway though ;) )

Mole-Gets a six. Mole finds himself petting a cat, only to hear that agents from G.U.A.R.D. (Girls United Against Rotten Dudes) have infiltrated his compounds. Video cameras would show that Ember (Girlfriend and teammate),Gail (Team mate), and Amy (Ember's super strong 'sister'). While they don't seem to remember they have powers, his own powers are on the fritz, including his normal defenses, and the girls do have guns and know how to use them. He dare not unleash his best agent "Beartrap" (Kodiak) because if Kody doesn't come to, he's powerful enough to hurt the ladies very badly ;) . Instead, he would turn to his mother (Now an evil mad scientist) and suggest they prepare a room to capture them alive in. After that, he'd be lost... but eventually he might stumble onto solution #1 after talking to Tee Vee a few more times. Of course, he'd try taking out TV with punches first.

Badger- Go away. Goes back to the his cave outside the city. And hopes this eventually goes away. If he is in the "Bernie's playhouse" scenario. Might end up giving "Bernie" a serious beatdown. But sing-a-long? If it is between the destruction of the universe and singing. Bye bye universe.

Frosty Bob- he has to be the lecherous Cpt. Kirk.:D Though, he will refuse to follow the Prime Directive. Holds up his AK-47 (no phasers for him) "I got your Prime Directive right here"

The last TV Vitus had, he applied to the head of a gang member, from 7 storeys up. Because he found both annoying. So this should be fun. I'll do all six!

= Pick a TV show that you might find amusing/challenging for your character. If you can't think of one' date=' feel free to roll 1d6 and consult the chart:[/i']

1) American Gladiators, only a bit more dangerous! At least one of your hunteds will be there to fight also.

Oh, goody - because one of the ways they settled student differences at Vitus's college was arena combat. Usually with conjured monsters as proxies, but Vitus has considerable experience at hand-to-hand and viciously dirty fighting anyway.

=2) Jerry Springer like show' date=' where various folks your character knows speak their mind, or at least seem to. Secrets will be revealed, tempers will flare...etc. Things will get outrageous.[/i']

*low whistle* tempers would flare alright. Altho there's only one or two secrets from Vitus's past that he's actually ashamed of. He's done plenty of appalling things, but attempts to make him feel guilty about those will do little more than tick him off.

=3) Star Trek (The Original Series) rerun- Or a parody version of it.

I rather suspect Vitus would be appearing as guest-starring villian. And after staring at whoever is playing Kirk rolling around on the dirt throwing himself from 'cover' to 'cover', stroll up and kick him in the head a few times.

=4) A law show- Suddenly your character appears to be playing the part of a defense lawyer. Again' date=' things are slightly twisted to match BAD TV. It seems if you lose the case, someone you care about could get the chair (and right away too!) . The prosecuting attorney is a supervillain you normally clash with, and the Judge maybe too. Think Harvey Birdman attorney at law.[/i']

Bamboozle the court and horrify his client with legal arguments from every possible point of view, made by a ethically orthagonal gnoll with no problems whatsoever about stretching loopholes out to girdle the world. At one point I anticipate the judge asking "You do know you're the defense attorney, don't you?" but it will all be part of Vitus's cunning plan....

=5) Bernie's playhouse!- Bernie the lavender T Rex has a special guest to introduce the kids to today' date=' it's YOU! With anthropomorphism run amok, 'Funny' things like couches biting your character's butt, muppets using flame throwers, and so on will occur. And heaven HELP you if you refuse to sing along with Bernie[/i']

"Bernie's Playhouse Massacre - Film At Eleven"

=6) A bad espionage/superspy show- You find yourself behind a large desk' date=' possibly stroking a cat. [/quote']

metre-long scorpion, more likely. "Who's my liddle diddums? Diddums want another incompetant henchman to eat? Yes you does"

=[A group of unsavory looking sorts (in real life' date= a few old foes, a few old friends, some family) with odd motiffs (Though not supercostumed) await your orders. One alerts you that Agents have broken into your secret volcano lair, and have orders to eliminate you. What are your orders? It would appear your romantic interest, your best friend, and one of your fellow heroes have been cast into the role of Men From Uncle or Charlie's Angels. You're the evil Mastermind, and your powers aren't working well at all, though you DO have lots of goons to stop them from 'terminating' you....only problem? Your goons may kill the "enemy agents" ( your loved ones or friends in trying to protect you).

3, the widow Rosenbaum that runs the local deli, and The Spectre? The Spectre and 3 I can see very easily - 3 used to be Vitus's concubine, before shacking up with the old-fashioned Masked hero, so you'ld have a love-triangle going to spice up the plot, too. But whatever did Vitus do to piss off Mrs Rosenbaum?

Either way, direct the goons to misdirect the regular cast into a dead-end room ( intercom Vitus "Fools! If you let them into the Secret Weapon Room I'll feed you to my giant centipedes!" ), jam the door with forklifts and pallets, gas them thru the air conditioning, then tie them up for the obligatory gloat. ( "It was all my ploy to lure you here and destroy you, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!" ) Probably lascivious gloat too, given the presence of 3. A henchman or two would probably have to be killed for taking the same sort of liberties. Of course, I'ld also have prepared the bullet-proof vest so when the Spectre escapes, shoots me, and the base auto-destruct goes off, I can nip out the back entrance in the panic and appear next week as Returning Villain :D

Worse case scenario for my characters - #6

Luna Moth finds herself in the role of the mastermind (after Tee Vee complains that her style is all bark and no bite) whose secret lair was infiltrated by the Flying Kittens, in the role of the heroic agents (as there's no love interest to fill the third spot). Her first order; have the triplets captured, preferably alive and mobile.

Trisk wakes up to sight of his parents' latest creation, and has to be reminded by his sisters that their target is Lady Stoneclaw (aka Luna Moth). He'd play along until he finds out who's playing the foul Lady.

Upon finding and confirming the other aware and unwilling actor, both Luna and Trisk will do everything they can to sabotage the 'show' with seriously harming anyone. The doomsday weapon would lose several vital components, the most lethal weapons left in the base are Nerf dart guns, and the computer network is infected with a virus that locks out control access for everyone except Trisk and Luna Moth.

Eventually the pair will stumble on the 'do nothing' solution. They'd then use the ventilation system to knock out the rest of the base, drag the remaining Kittens into 'Stoneclaw's' private chambers, and settle in for a long wait.

Re: Turn off the TV, I gotta do my homework

How about Banner? :D

Banner ends up in Bernie's Playhouse. After a moment to think things through, he decides to beat the hell out of the dino, but only after making it look like it's just a self defense tutorial... "And NEVER hit anyone HERE!*WHACK* It really hurts."

He looks for ways to contact the other Avengers. Maybe Hornet can figure out how to get him out of this. :)

1) American Gladiators' date=' only a bit more dangerous! At least one of your hunteds will be there to fight also.[/quote']This seems to fit Juggernaut. And while she is female, chances are that Bulldozer would be there and possibly Foxbat as the interviewer.

3) Star Trek (The Original Series) rerun- Or a parody version of it. Your character is cast into the niche normally filled by another character' date=' and things are twisted. If you are in the part of Kirk, everyone will treat you like a lecherous ego maniac, if you are Spock, folks will demand you know all sciences and get panicky if you show emotions convinced you've been possessed. If you are one of the female parts, you find yourself being patronized, or told to fetch space coffee (of course, a female superhero could find herself as Captain instead)...and so on.[/quote']Duo would be here and probably as the Captain as opposed to Spock.

I can see Duo enjoying his new role much more so than Juggernaut.

Now, if there was only a way to logically have Juggernaut's change to the following:

• 1 month later...

Nova would liekly end up being Cap. Kirk (similar personality) or American Gladiators. He would persuade the hottest-looking co-star to have sex on camera, so the show gets shifted to the hardcore channel, then stop anyone from ever having sex, so the show gets killed for lack of performance. If this is not enough, he will keep alternate doing the contrary of the cliches of every show they find themselves in, until TV "fires" them all for losing rates, and reality resets to normal.

Pardon, I was inspired when I thought of making a villain who was a mix of Mister Mxyzptlk and Mojo.

4) A law show- Suddenly your character appears to be playing the part of a defense lawyer. Again, things are slightly twisted to match BAD TV. It seems if you lose the case, someone you care about could get the chair (and right away too!) . The prosecuting attorney is a supervillain you normally clash with, and the Judge maybe too. Think Harvey Birdman attorney at law.

For Cockatrice this is called Tuesday. In mid-life, she is a lawyer, crimson snake-skin, spade-tipped tail and all, a real devil's advocate, and the straight-faced, forked-tongued grand master of unbelievable b.s.. She would find a way to call TeeVee onto the stand as an expert witness and tie him in knots in cross examination until she could get him to confess being the murderer.