Super Transportation

SSgt Baloo

Re: Super Transportation

I posted the standard and fighter variants of the SR-71 in the other genres thread' date=' how much difference is there in the transport variant you posted?[/quote']

(Emphasis added.) Please specify which other genres thread please. I'd like to have a look. ;)

Mine is shorter, wider, VTOL capable, and has a boarding ramp (which implies a lot more internal space for crew and cargo). I really just did a slice-n-dice of an SR-71 three-view. Some of my later stuff is a complete fabrication, however, but based on existing (or proposed) vehicles. The rest is pure brain vapor. Make what you will of it. :doi:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GalacticClipper.png

The Defenders' Galactic Clipper

The Defenders of Earth (Universe XZ-21) use this vehicle to travel wherever their missions take them. While small, this vehicle is capable of flight at high subsonic speeds within a planetary atmosphere, and much, much faster once above the majority of the atmosphere. The usual flight path of this vessel includes a very steep and fast climbout to over 100 km altitude, then a quick trip through the exo-atmosphere to somewhere above the destination, followed by a steep descent to the landing point. Recently, courtesy of Saucer-Man, the Galactic Clipper has been equipped with a Carson Bridge Generator capable of creating a subspace fold and enabling the ship to travel at apparently superluminal speeds.

This really is an awesome thread. :D

I have a bunch of wacky vehicles over here: http://home.comcast.net/~champsstuff/

Feel free to grab what you like and go nuts! :thumbup:

Proditor: Nice collection of vehicles! I particularly liked some of the interesting WWII planes you had found. I wanted to check out your collection of space vehicle images as well, but the link came up as a 404 error. Let me know when you get it fixed! :thumbup:

Keith

Even in the '30s, superguys needed super transportation...

Multicar.png

The Multi-Car

In 1936, Doctor "Mad" Maddington designed a fantastic vehicle capable of travelling along the ground, in the air, under the sea, and even through space. After the Justice Team of America brought Dr. Maddington to justice, they confiscated this engine of destruction and began using it (only) for good. Eventually, Dr. Maddington graduated from Professor Fate's academy for the Criminally Insane and now works to assist the JTA in their neverending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way (with apologies to George Reeves :D).

The Multi-Car is equipped with pulse-jet (rocket) tubes just behind the main cabin for propulsion in air and space. The rear wheel steers and the front wheels provide propulsion in ground mode, while an electrically-driven pump propels the Multicar underwater at remarkable speeds. The Multi-Car is armed with a 75mm cannon which can fire signal flares or other ordnance when required. Flash Gordon would be jealous.

This is the Erne (a type of sea eagle), it is the vehicle that the Wardens use to get from Alcatraz island to the mainland and the vehicle picture that was its inspiration.

erne2.gifwig.gif

When designing/mapping a vehicle, I usually only work on half of it. Then when that half is completed I mirror it for the opposite half.

B377_3v.png

Super-Stratocruiser

During the 'forties, the Patriot Squad was given a crashed Boeing Stratocruiser and given free reign to restore and modify it to their purposes. They essentially tore it apart and remanufactured it, ending up with a much larger plane (the Stratocruiser's fuselage is 10' in diameter while the Super-Stratocruiser's diameter is 13' 8") with more powerful engines that could run on diesel oil or kerosene (though at a slight altitude and speed penalty when using kerosene).

Post-war, the Patriot Squad was provided with a refurbished Boeing 307 Stratocruiser. Boeing dismantled, then rebuilt the Super-Stratocruiser to examine and duplicate every part for production as the Boeing 377 Super-Stratocruiser. After production began on the Super-Stratocruiser, Boeing returned the old plane to the Patriot Squad, and began paying royalties on the design. Boeing continued to provide the Patriot Squad with aircraft through 1968, when most of them retired. The Super-Stratocruiser remained in production for many years, though once Boeing introduced its 707 Jetliner, the Super-Stratocruiser was largely utilized as a cargo plane. The fact that it could run on Jet Fuel was something of an advantage, as it was considerably less expensive per pound than the Avgas other piston aircraft used.

I like the V-22 Osprey for a modern day feel to Champions. I forgot to mention the reason I liked this vehicle was that is plenty of room to carry personnel & equipment. I.E. containment set-ups for super villains that you don't want to hand over to diabolical scientists in the employ of the government.

The V-22 is a nice aircraft on paper but its accident rate is terrible, along with it being hard to pilot, and then theres the cost overruns... no thanks, if a group of my players wanted one for transport... but I am going to give it real stats and faults. its just not a great aircraft

It's not as bad as you think.

Sure, the experemental and developmental models had some pretty unplesant accidents, and some handling issues. But that is only to be expected when developing a whole new type of aircraft. How many early aircraft crashed in the first 20 years of powered flight? Thousands? How many helicopters crashed in the 30's as they were being developed. Hundreds, certainly. Loosing a dozen test aircraft (most due to mechanical failure in these same experemental models) ain't that bad.

Look at it this way: There were 2 XB-70's built. One crashed. That was in a 2-year flight-test program (as I recall). The V-22's have been in development for nearly 20 years while they iron out kinks in the systems. The accident rate over that entire period isn't all that bad.

It's become a matter of bad press more than anything else. Like when those F-117's crashed in the late 80's just after the Nighthawks went public. Suddenly "the whole program was riddled with flaws and bound to fail because the basic airframe was aerodynamically unsound." At least, that's what the press said at the time.

I not the F-117 still serves today, and will only be phased out of service as the USAF version of the Joint Strike Fighter comes online.

The current V-22 is a viable military aircraft, which means it meets a reasonable level of ruggedness, reliability, and simplicity.

• 2 weeks later...

SuperBus.png

The Super-Bus

The Superguys' transport isn't much to look at until you see what it can do. Cobbled together from a salvaged Greyhound Scenicruiser and a crashed UFO, the Superbus is cabable of operations on land, in the sea (to depths of up to 12,000 feet or more), in the air (supersonic VTOL) and in space (hyperdrive).

The Superbus serves as a mobile base for the Superguys, as well as providing rapid transportation.

It's not as bad as you think.

Sure, the experemental and developmental models had some pretty unplesant accidents, and some handling issues. But that is only to be expected when developing a whole new type of aircraft. How many early aircraft crashed in the first 20 years of powered flight? Thousands? How many helicopters crashed in the 30's as they were being developed. Hundreds, certainly. Loosing a dozen test aircraft (most due to mechanical failure in these same experemental models) ain't that bad.

Look at it this way: There were 2 XB-70's built. One crashed. That was in a 2-year flight-test program (as I recall). The V-22's have been in development for nearly 20 years while they iron out kinks in the systems. The accident rate over that entire period isn't all that bad.

It's become a matter of bad press more than anything else. Like when those F-117's crashed in the late 80's just after the Nighthawks went public. Suddenly "the whole program was riddled with flaws and bound to fail because the basic airframe was aerodynamically unsound." At least, that's what the press said at the time.

I not the F-117 still serves today, and will only be phased out of service as the USAF version of the Joint Strike Fighter comes online.

The current V-22 is a viable military aircraft, which means it meets a reasonable level of ruggedness, reliability, and simplicity.

I agree with everything you said, except the bit about the Nighthawk still being in service.

It was retired earlier this year. You can see some video here:

My bad; I appear to be behind on my military news.

No worries, it was ahead of schedule. In fact, it was sort of abrupt. The rumor mill was that they did it to close a budget shortfall, and that the Raptor, even with it's much lighter bombload of mini-bombs, was such a quantum leap forward in stealth, it made the 117 obsolete. I think that last bit might be a bit of wishful thinking until the JSF comes online.

I agree that it was premature, there are only 2 Raptors in service right now (that I know of). Of course, in exercises they routinely wax 8 Eagles Air-to-air...

Not sure how far they go to repalcing the capacity lost with the Nighthawks. Sure, you could use Spirits, but at a half-billion dollars apiece I don't see them being risked for 'routine' stuff very often.