Super Transportation

SSgt Baloo

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super Transportation

Nifty design--reminds me of Gerry Anderson's Supercar. Does it fly as well?
Nope... it just uses it "wings" and "flaps" to maneuver underwater... It's ballast tanks are very small and are used for the most part to maintain neutral buoyancy... If all ballast is blown, the craft will float...

But hey, it is a super team's vehicle... if someone wants to make it fly then more power to 'em :thumbup:

heres an idea, what about giving it actual flapping wings, similar to the way a manta ray moves... then you could easily justify giving it limited flight capability too. you end up with what amounts to semi-amphibious ornithopter

what else can you tell me about the design, I will take a stab at building it

as much detail and fluff as you can will help a lot.

Sorry, I am not much of a 'gearhead' :)

I don't have any real details... beyond the little blurb in my last post, I haven't put any work into the Anhinga... it has not been close to being in a combat, so I never really stat'ed it out... in the campaign, the Wardens have used it mostly to come and go without anyone being able to observe them...

I have been fascinated with underwater 'flying' vehicles since watching the Sealab 2020 cartoon when I was a kid and came back to the idea after watching some pop science shows on television... the ability for a vehicle to operate underwater using 'aerodynamic' principles rather than ballast tanks was what inspired the Anhinga...

Using my Google-Fu, I came across some concept art from the guy in this interview http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/03/28/concept-submersibles/ and used it as the basis for the 'floorplan' of the vehicle.

Most of the Wardens vehicles I imagine as just a couple of steps beyond current vehicles... not really 'super' vehicles other than super materials, super electronics and miniaturized power systems with the same or more output than their modern larger sized counterparts... mix in a little 'super' physics and the vehicles become super. :)

• 3 weeks later...

except that you will require more than twice the fuel that the shuttle does and

we have experience with unpowered reentry

nobody has tried a powered decent from orbit yet

Way cool finds, Staff. The ROMBUS looks a damn sight more practical than the POS shuttle we actually got lumbered with.

I think I may have seen a pic of the Ithacus before, at school.

To quote Johnny Rotten: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" :mad:

except that you will require more than twice the fuel that the shuttle does and

we have experience with unpowered reentry

nobody has tried a powered decent from orbit yet

Yeah, I kinda forgot that part. Yeesh.

:facepalm: :mad:

Did anybody else notice that in "Superman Return" the experimental space shuttle they used was essentially the Delta Clipper mated to a specially modified 747, which is the basic system (shuttle piggybacking on aircraft) NASA originally wanted to use, before NIxon and the military got involved. I believe that the USAF (amongst others) was, or still is, testing a similar system called Black Horse.

XP-52.png

Tex Jones' TJ-309 (XP-52 prototype)

Just after Pearl Harbor, the War Department issued a requirement for an aircraft that was faster and more maneuverable than the Japanese "Zero". The specifications as written were drawn up before any solid intelligence could be gathered on the Zero to gauge it's real-world performance, and were therefore based on guesses and overestimations.

While several manufacturers offered studies indicating when they might be able to produce such a weapons system, Tex Jones sat down and built one. Less than six months after the requirement had been issued, the TJ-309 was undergoing flight testing under Tex Jones' supervision. While Tex Jones' manufacturing capability was limited, he offered to licence the design to any company willing to produce it.

Curtiss turned down the offer as they were certain their new development based on the P-40 would prove easier to produce for only slightly less performance. Tex Jones shopped the TJ-309 around until finally Lockheed Aircraft decided to give it a go. They offered Tex Jones an exclusive contract, but he declined as he was friends with Kelly Johnson and didn't want to risk harming their friendship.

XP-52A.png

The USAAF liked the performance of the YP-52, but requested some changes to ease maintenance and ground handling. The US. Navy preferred the taller landing gear of the XP-52 but preferred the "High Tail" configuration. The Navy Department ordered 20 [somebody suggest a Naval Designation to insert here], which combined these features, deleted the "bumper" tailwheel and replaced it with a retractable tailhook.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot, I had one more. Try this on for size. :D

Lockheed CL-1201-1

Span: 1,120 feet

Gross weight: 11.85 million pounds

Endurance: 41 days:

Reactor output: 1830 megawatts

Crew: 845

Tactical fighters carried: 24

Lift engines for VTOL: 182

I thought I was ambitious when I started making a model of an Airborne Aircraft Carrier. In typical Lockheed-Martin style, they ratcheted the crazy up to a whole new level and made designs for a V/TOL AAC!!! Stick that in your patch and smoke it Nick Fury! :thumbup: