This Human doesn't smell threatening

BobGreenwade

Re: This Human doesn't smell threatening

Can't believe I haven't yet suggested transforming the animal so that it does not perceive you as threatening, or EDMing to a place where you are Dr Doolittle.

What?

What??

Much more of this EDM buffoonery and we'll save up and get Steve to create a power to EDM you to a world where you are Eliza Doolittle.....

:)

Doc

Question #1: How would you model' date=' as a Talent, the absence of this odor? In what I'm writing currently I'm using Invisibility vs Smell Group, with a Limitation to that single Sense (and with other appropriate Modifiers like 0 END, Persistent, Always On), but I wonder if someone else might not have a better idea.[/quote']

This sounds like the Non-Secretor ability written up on page 158 of Dark Champions.

I suppose you could do it as Invisibility vs Smell, 0 END, Persistant, Inherent, Always On with a Limitation like "Only Applies When Animals Try To Detect Predators" at -1. Real Cost of 9 points.

A 5-point Skill Level gives you "+1 with a group of similar Skills...." Just like a 5-point CSL can be with a "related group of attacks," I wouldn't see a problem with defining a 5-point Skill Level as working for skills used in dealing with animals (not specifically "Animal Handling" and "Riding", but all skills used in this way). Then you could maybe even add a Limitation like Based on Non-Threatening Scent (-1/2, or whatever you think would be right for your game). That way it could prove unhelpful in certain cases where it wouldn't make sense (e.g. against other predators, depending on the nature of the roll).

Going another way entirely...

Wilderness Harmony: 22 Active, 7 Real

Mind Control 1d6 (Animal class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (24 points; +1), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +2) (22 Active Points); Set Effect (Don't Panic; -1/2), Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Mandatory Effect EGO +10 (-1/4)

Animals Really Like Me / The Scotsman's Promise - 6d6 Luck, only to get animals to like you (-2), 30 active points, 10 Real

Animal Magnetism - Animal Handling at STAT +1, Only in situations where non-threatening body odor may help (-1/4), 5 active, 4 real.

Deoderized - +1 Level with all Animal related skills where having a non threatening odor helps, 3 active, 3 real

10 No Scent at all: Invisibility to Smell/Taste Group ' date=' Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Affects Body Only; -1/2), Limited Effect (Odor only; -1/4) - END=0[/quote']

It's not that the person doesn't have a scent it all - it just doesn't seem threatening. I'd apply the -1/2 "chameleon" limitation for Invisibility.

And I don't think not smelling like a predator would affect the taste sense. I'd rule that only Smell would need to be affected.

It's not that the person doesn't have a scent it all - it just doesn't seem threatening. I'd apply the -1/2 "chameleon" limitation for Invisibility.

And I don't think not smelling like a predator would affect the taste sense. I'd rule that only Smell would need to be affected.

Chameleon didn't seem to fit to me.

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 123; Revised, page 193)

This Limitation represents a form of Invisibility which only works if the character remains motionless.

If used, it would reduce the real cost from 10 to 8 points.

I already accounted for scent only:

Limited Effect (Odor only; -1/4)

When building Invisibility or Shapeshift you have to choose a sense group to affect by default.

Chameleon didn't seem to fit to me.

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 123; Revised, page 193)

That's a good point. But the following sentence says that it "allows him to blend seamlessly into an appropriate background," which is the effect I was going for. The character would smell like part of the natural environment, as if he belonged.

But even without that, applying the Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) limitation should apply. It's hard to seem like a non-predator while attacking.

When building Invisibility or Shapeshift you have to choose a sense group to affect by default.

Ah! Thanks. I had forgotten that. In my own campaign, I'd probably allow single-sense invisiblity to be bought straight, at half the normal cost. But that's just me.

Regardless of how you build it there's a disadvantage that might help bring the cost down. If you do not smell like a predator does that mean you smell more like prey? You could probably apply a negative affect with some predators (more likely to attack, or less likely to flee even if you want to scare them off), to show both sides of this power.