Top 50 movie gunfights

Korvar

Re: Top 50 movie gunfights

The scene in HEAT is well shot, street level, highly kinetic (but not in a John Woo bullets-cause-knockback kind of way) and makes DeNiro and company look badass as they combat an entire police force.

Love The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. One of my all-time favorites. And most of the gunfights are extended pauses for tension followed by one shot from each guy. So different from modern film making.

I was the first in my family to buy a DVD player. When family came over to see the difference, the first thing I did was cue up the scene in The Matrix where they enter the lobby and all hell breaks loose.

That scene in The Crow is good even though the hero doesn't even use a gun. Too bad the subsequent 'crows' couldn't muster up an ounce of Brandon Lee's charisma.

The Way of the Gun is a classic that few people whom I know have seen. There are two great scenes in this; The big gun battle at the end (the "broken glass" getting the whince from the audience I saw it with), and the slow-speed chase as people jump out and into unattended moving vehicles. By no means a perfect movie; I just like both those scenes a lot.

Leon ("The professional" here in the U.S.) was a great movie top-to-bottom. Amazing how good Portman is at that age.

Tombstone is actually the most-quoted movie at my games, narrowly beating Aliens.

In that list, I didn't see Jules & Vincent Vega somehow avoiding a hail of unexpected gunfire then unleashing hell. I might also include the stand-off in Reservoir Dogs.

Probably not. Nor does Han shooting Greedo in Star Wars. The thing about a gunfight is that both sides have guns and are actively trying to kill each other. And I might draw flack for this, but what about the finale gun fight in Miami Vice 2006? Good to see the police house slaughter from The Terminator in there. That is still one scary movie, even if you've seen it n times.

And if you want good gunfights from a TV series, check out SAS drama Ultimate Force - especially series 1 and 2 when they're really going for accuracy and have Chris Ryan as technical advisor. The bank takedown in the pilot episode is probably one of the best gun fights ever filmed.

The scene in HEAT is well shot' date=' street level, highly kinetic (but not in a John Woo bullets-cause-knockback kind of way) and makes DeNiro and company look badass as they combat an entire police force.[/quote']

I agree on all points about Heat. Michael Mann is probably my favorite filmmaker.

When I saw the title of this thread my brain went straight to Open Range, by Costner. It stands out mostly because I saw it recently, but the gunfight at the end of that movie is absolutely worth the slow pace of the rest of it.

I was the first in my family to buy a DVD player. When family came over to see the difference, the first thing I did was cue up the scene in The Matrix where they enter the lobby and all hell breaks loose.

The Matrix was the first DVD I bought after I got a DVD-ROM drive in a new computer. It was another few years before I had a DVD player to hook up to the TV...

What nothing from Equalibrium? One of the greatest examples of the rule "Never mess with the hero's dog"

It's in there. :D

If we're including TV movies and spoof-ish takes, I humbly submit Dollar For the Dead, with Emilio Estevez trying to channel Clint Eastwood.

It riffs not just Westerns, but recognizable scenes from HK classics like The Killer and Hardboiled. :)