Moving Entangle

Trebuchet

Re: Moving Entangle

How would you build an Entangle that is shot away and moves slowly along' date=' entangling anything in its path for a certain distance and/or duration? Picture something like a sticky fishing net.[/quote']

It sounds like a 2 part effect.

For the primary effect I would suggest using a Force Wall* with the Mobile Advantage. This gives you a way to measure its toughness if it is targeted directly.

*(I know you can't push anything with FWall, this just represents the primary object/net, the secondary effect takes over once something touches the FWall).

The secondary effect could then be built with either Trigger or Damage Shield that creates the actual Entangles.

Not going to be cheap any way you slice it. :D

Entangle is an instant power with an effect that lasts, just like damage powers. To make it continue to grab new people as it moves about, I'd go with Manic Typists intreresting idea, but that technically does not move the entangles character about. Mind you I'm not sure anything would. Even the 'mobile' advantage just allows the effect to beetle about, not to move those affected. Hyper-Man suggests a moving Force Wall, and that is an interesting idea too, but the trouble with force wall is that it cannot apply force, so it cannot move the target either.

In fact the only power that can both prevent escape and move a target is telekinesis, as suggested in the first response by Comic.

It is still going to be expensive though. You'd probably need a 1 hex AoE uncontroled continuous TK, and a particularly pernickety GM might require 'sticky' too.

It doesn't need to move once it's hit a suitable target. I just want something which slides slowly (and maybe semi-randomly) around the battleground and threatens to capture any opponent or innocent bystander who doesn't get out of the way.

Looks like the Moveable option from AoE is the right approach. It'll be expensive, but since I'm the GM in the scenario this'll be used in I'm not real worried about cost. :)

This sounds a lot like the various "missile" powers. Maybe a Summon to bring the slithery thing into play' date=' and the Summon has an Entangle attack that takes it out of the conflict until the target gets out (or just has a good Grab attack).[/quote']I thought about that last night just as I was hitting the sack. I'll look at the missile builds in Star Hero.

Do you need anything more than continuous on this? Or perhaps continuous with one hex effect?? It would have the limitation of no range (I would say) and would be fired at the hex immediately in front. Each phase the next hex would be hit until it ran out of END.

That seems simplest...

Doc

It doesn't need to move once it's hit a suitable target. I just want something which slides slowly (and maybe semi-randomly) around the battleground and threatens to capture any opponent or innocent bystander who doesn't get out of the way.

Looks like the Moveable option from AoE is the right approach. It'll be expensive, but since I'm the GM in the scenario this'll be used in I'm not real worried about cost. :)

My suggestion earlier was based very closely on the fishing net analogy and how it could snare multiple fish. If it only needs to be able to affect 1 target at a time then it's probably easiest to accomplish with the first suggestion by Comic: Telekinesis.

1. TK is already Constant by default.
  2. An AI could be dedicated to controlling its targeting sequence within a specified location.
  3. Sticky could be used.
  4. Mobile is not necessary (unless you also add AOE 1 Hex Accurate) in this case since the effect itself is not actually moving after grabbing a target.
  5. IPE Source Only could be used to hide the AI's "tractor beam emitter" so the characters couldn't see where this roaming effect is coming from.
  6. Physical Manifestation could be used if the "TK Net" construct can be damaged/destroyed by attacks (beyond just breaking the "Grab").

If points don't matter then there are really only a couple of things that really need to be defined in detail:

• What is the OCV of this effect? (AI with or without AOE 1 Hex Accurate)
  • How hard is it to break out of and/or destroy? (TK STR and/or Physical Manifestation)

This sounds a lot like the various "missile" powers. Maybe a Summon to bring the slithery thing into play' date=' and the Summon has an Entangle attack that takes it out of the conflict until the target gets out (or just has a good Grab attack).[/quote']

What I was thinking of, maybe with a clinging damage shield...

Entangle, AE [One Hex] (+1/2), Mobile* (+1), 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled** (+1/2)

*5ER pg. 250: Can move 6" per phase, take Two-Dimensional (same page) if you do not want it to be able to fly.

** 5ER pg. 272: 0 END + Uncontrolled requires that you set a duration. Based on the recommendation for Uncontrolled under Missile Deflection I suggest 1 Turn.

I get the impression you mean something like a rolling ball of tar, or something similar. I think the previous suggestions are better for that.

I used Gradual Effect on an AOE Entangle to simulate a rapidly growing entangling plant (the Martian Red Weed, weaponized.) I don't think that applies to what you're after, but it might.

I'd allow this:

Tar Ball 60 Active, 24 real

Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Area Of Effect (13" Cone; +1 1/4), Two-Dimensional (-1/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Can only hit one target, and effect is not instant; -1), No Range (-1/2)

So, it is an entangle in an area (cone). No range, so the tar ball sets off from the hex in front of the character and each phase moves one square forward and possibly left or right (roll 1d6: on 1 it moves 1 hex left as well as one forward, on 6 it moves 1 hex right as well as forward). There's a sort of variable extra time: it only 'goes off' if it hits something before it reaches the end of teh cone (at which time it just peters out). It does not need continuous because it is an instant attack, but with variable delayed onset. You can fire off new ones before the effect takes place. so you can have a sort of torpedo spread.