Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

While I imagine the ground turkey would make it less appealing from a texture standpoint than just slices fresh from the bird, it's really only the addition of sweet potatoes and marshmallows on top that makes it sound as if it would taste bad.

Like, I enjoy steak and blueberry pie in the same meal, but I don't want them together in the same bite.

I've never been partial to sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Makes it too sticky sweet for my tastes. Fortunately, I'm the one in charge of sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. My recipe uses orange juice instead. (Bourbon can be used as well, but there's children around)

I've never been partial to sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Makes it too sticky sweet for my tastes. Fortunately' date=' I'm the one in charge of sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. My recipe uses orange juice instead. (Bourbon can be used as well, but there's children around)[/quote']

Would you be willing to share the recipe? :D

Leave off the marshmallows (what the hell are THEY doing there????)' date=' and I might give it a try.[/quote']

A lot of people, at least in the US, like marshmallows on their sweet potato dish. As I can't stand sweet potatoes in the first place, I just skip the dish entirely. :)

I'd give the "cake" a try, though I'd skip the "topping"...

2 lb sweet potatoes, cooked until tender (I bake 'em)

1/2 tsp ground cardamom

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/3 cup whipping cream

2 tbsp bourbon (or dark rum or OJ or apple juice)

salt & ground black pepper

Cut potatoes in half; use a spoon to scrap potato pulp out of skins and into a medium saucepan over low heat. Add cardamom, nutmeg, cream and bourbon; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Heat until warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cardamom's a bit of a pricey spice, but I think it's worth it for this recipe. I also add cardamom to my banana bread.

Thanks for that recipe, Cygnia. We've got a friend visiting for Thanksgiving and she really loves sweet potato casserole -- but I don't care for it at all, so I've never made it before. I think this recipe will be a hit. :)

EDIT: Curses, I've got to spread teh bunneh lurvins before I can rep Cygnia again. Can someone get that for me? :)

2 lb sweet potatoes, cooked until tender (I bake 'em)

1/2 tsp ground cardamom

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/3 cup whipping cream

2 tbsp bourbon (or dark rum or OJ or apple juice)

salt & ground black pepper

Cut potatoes in half; use a spoon to scrap potato pulp out of skins and into a medium saucepan over low heat. Add cardamom, nutmeg, cream and bourbon; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Heat until warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cardamom's a bit of a pricey spice, but I think it's worth it for this recipe. I also add cardamom to my banana bread.

Thanks for the recipe! Repped! :)

You say you bake the sweet potatoes. How long does that usually take?

A lot of people' date=' at least in the US, like marshmallows on their sweet potato dish. As I can't stand sweet potatoes in the first place, I just skip the dish entirely. :)[/quote']

Ditto. My wife, however, is happy as a clam* because there's a new restaurant in town that serves sweet potato fries and okra, two things she loves that no other restaurant in town serves, that she can't cook and that I can't stand. :)

*Are clams really that happy?

As I can't stand sweet potatoes in the first place' date=' I just skip the dish entirely. :)[/quote']Oh thank god, I thought it was only me! I get more uncomprehending stares from my dislike of sweet potatoes than any other food dislike or favorite.

I've been wanting to try one of these for a while now, but I just can't get that industrious to cook for only me.

Oh thank god, I thought it was only me! I get more uncomprehending stares from my dislike of sweet potatoes than any other food dislike or favorite.

The one that seems most confusing to people for me is my absolute hatred of broccoli. For some people you'd think I said that I don't like air...

Oh thank god, I thought it was only me! I get more uncomprehending stares from my dislike of sweet potatoes than any other food dislike or favorite.

Everyone has different tastes.

Oh, and I just checked with Jenn.

She boils hers, then purees them with maple syrup, butter, and cayenne. Baking instead of boiling would probably work as well.

A lot of people, at least in the US, like marshmallows on their sweet potato dish. As I can't stand sweet potatoes in the first place, I just skip the dish entirely. :)

OK, I'm not keen on sweet potatoes either, but they at least seemed more appropriate than marshmallows.