So, what do you need?

Sean Waters

Re: So, what do you need?

I agree in large part (although the idea was presented to sort of scale - just not to active points - but to actual complexity of operation).

A closed circuit is about as low-complexity as it gets, and that covers pretty much any electronic or electromechanical device. A clock on the other hand is hideously complex. Complexity is not really a measure of functionality, unless you're playing steampunk of course... ;)

Consider an iPod for instance. Its far simpler and smaller than a 1980's era HiFi tuner, yet way more powerful in pretty much every measurable way.

There are complications you don't have to worry about with targets of mind: machines are often not a single big unit, but are composed of many small units, so how do you decide if you can control a bit of a machine, just not all of it (say the gun on a tank, but not the engine) if it is not itself centrally controlled (and what if it is, can you control a bit of it anyway?)

I disagree. There are only a few ways of defining an inanimate item in real terms:

* Focus lim

* Computer

* Vehicle

* A standard character write up with "Machine Class of Minds" Physical Lim

Each criteria represents a specific object / item, and could be acted upon distinctly at that level.

Also the problem with using active points/5 is you actually need to know how many active points the target is built on, which makes things a lot more complicated: it is not enough to know there is a car in the road, you need a point value if anyone can control it - we don't (well I don't) bother statting out most stuff. Whilst this is a better and more balanced approach I think it would make the power far harder to actually play.

Well, to take control of something and make it do something, presumably you are making it do what its capable of...which is defined mechanically...which has a cost. So I'd say it's implicit that a point cost must be known if the item in question does something mechanically.

If controlling something unimportant (unstatted) is just a story element then who cares anyway? It's like a fire character warming up drinks, no mechanics all around = just SFX and wgas-ium (who gives a unprintable).

I mean, if what object X does is undefined, then it could theoretically do anything, or nothing. Controlling such an unknown would accomplish what exactly?

that sort of dovetails into another point I've been meaning to bring up.

Using mind control as a basis for a new power is a bad idea IMO.

Mental powers, especially mind control, mental illusions and telepathy are essentially mini VPPs unto themselves.

Isn't this control power just a way of saying I want a VPP I can put in my multipower?

If this wasn't addressing devices specifically and was instead going after say mutant abilities, wouldn't the knee-jerk reaction be: Buy a VPP?

Mental powers, as listed above, are the most vaguely defined things in the hero system. Using them as a basis for something is just weakening the structure of the system. OK, maybe they're not as poorly defined as interdimensional movement and all the kludges that use that power as justification for handwaving.

That's an odd perspective for me; I find Telepathy to be vague as it gives insufficient definition around what types of thoughts are surface level vs deep, etc. I often avoid Telepathy entirely in favor of well-defined Detects that answer a specific state or question vs get a stream of consciousness. Like, Detect LIE for instance.

However I find MC and MI to be very well defined, and I've found both powers to work very well. My only complaint w/ MI is that its too difficult to get a mass hallucination effect going, to the point that Images works better which makes no sense if you want a "mental" effect.

That's an odd perspective for me; I find Telepathy to be vague as it gives insufficient definition around what types of thoughts are surface level vs deep, etc. I often avoid Telepathy entirely in favor of well-defined Detects that answer a specific state or question vs get a stream of consciousness. Like, Detect LIE for instance.

However I find MC and MI to be very well defined, and I've found both powers to work very well. My only complaint w/ MI is that its too difficult to get a mass hallucination effect going, to the point that Images works better which makes no sense if you want a "mental" effect.

Just as you consider telepathy to be vague about definitions of surface vs deep thoughts, there is considerable play about what sorts of actions fall into what categories. (mostly in the middle of the spectrum, the extremes are pretty obvious) that and the ethical aftermath of MC puts it into the 'squick' side of the spectrum pretty quickly. Granted, you have to be clever to get the best bang for your buck with MC, but it is potentially the most dangerous power in the game.

My problem with MI is that it also falls into the save or die sort of camp of game design. A sufficiently savvy user of MI should be able to come up with some scenario that either takes its victim completely out of the fight or even worse, turns him into a liability for the opposing side.

Just as you consider telepathy to be vague about definitions of surface vs deep thoughts, there is considerable play about what sorts of actions fall into what categories. (mostly in the middle of the spectrum, the extremes are pretty obvious) that and the ethical aftermath of MC puts it into the 'squick' side of the spectrum pretty quickly. Granted, you have to be clever to get the best bang for your buck with MC, but it is potentially the most dangerous power in the game.

My problem with MI is that it also falls into the save or die sort of camp of game design. A sufficiently savvy user of MI should be able to come up with some scenario that either takes its victim completely out of the fight or even worse, turns him into a liability for the opposing side.

Hmm...that doesn't match my experience, but I can see that its open enough to interpretation that it could play out that way with some GM's.

Here's what I have in mind: how do I define a power that allows me to, for instance, change a traffic light. The same power might, subject to sfx, allow me to drive a car - without necessarily being in the car, or make a gun fire or make a computer display a message on the screen.

As has been mentioned you could VPP it, but even then it is not straightforward and, well, I don't need to know how many points the computer is built on to make the screen display a message, or how many points the car is built on to drive it.

I'm not sure there is a way to d that at present in a straightforward manner. The effects feel like they should be coming from the same place, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong and I need a suite of powers that do this: TK+Images+Enhanced Senses+Change Environment+Transform, or something. Just seems like a lot of trouble to have to go to if it were possible to create a single, balanced power that did it all.

Sean, it might help to put a sfx example forth to examine the issue in more detail.

example: Electronic Technology Control.

The idea is that the character can control electronic based machines.

Controlling a computer or an alarm system is fairly straightforward via mind control. However, the car is an issue because most cars still require the STR of their driver to be controlled (steering, braking and accelerating). If cars with 'drive by wire' technology were commonplace then this character could drive them but current cars are too primitive for this character's sfx to affect.

Telekinesis is the only way to affect modern vehicles that don't have some type of centralized 'drive by wire' tech (like the mechanical/radio remote control setups used by the Mythbusters on occasion).

Of course, this is a realistic approach and might not be appropriate for some game's flavor.

Here's what I have in mind: how do I define a power that allows me to, for instance, change a traffic light. The same power might, subject to sfx, allow me to drive a car - without necessarily being in the car, or make a gun fire or make a computer display a message on the screen.

As has been mentioned you could VPP it, but even then it is not straightforward and, well, I don't need to know how many points the computer is built on to make the screen display a message, or how many points the car is built on to drive it.

I'm not sure there is a way to d that at present in a straightforward manner. The effects feel like they should be coming from the same place, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong and I need a suite of powers that do this: TK+Images+Enhanced Senses+Change Environment+Transform, or something. Just seems like a lot of trouble to have to go to if it were possible to create a single, balanced power that did it all.

The problem with the power as you present it is that it is separated from context, which is important because changing a light from green to red might cause a fender bender in a small town side street, but it might also cause a reaction that could be the end of humanity if you were to manipulate a light bulb on the display panel of a cold war superpower's WMD control system.

By focussing only on the special effect, or in this case the manipulation of technological devices, you disregard what these things actually do.

This approach runs afoul of the metarule: REASON FROM EFFECT.

That's why I object to it being a new power. It violates the central game philosophy of the hero system.

What about reverse Dispell?

2 or 3 points per 1d6, you have to roll the AP of the thing. That would work very well for anything we can build, but AP sometimes are quite high. Counter: Hard to Dispell/Control ;)

I think this approach could work. Any way we can polish this up?

The problem with the power as you present it is that it is separated from context, which is important because changing a light from green to red might cause a fender bender in a small town side street, but it might also cause a reaction that could be the end of humanity if you were to manipulate a light bulb on the display panel of a cold war superpower's WMD control system.

By focussing only on the special effect, or in this case the manipulation of technological devices, you disregard what these things actually do.

That's why I object to it being a new power. It violates the central game philosophy of the hero system.

It sounds to me as if it's really nothing more than a form of Mind Control that works on mindless objects. Call it Object Control.

Given that we have Mind Control, that allows you to control another character's mind and make him do things that you want him to and he probably doesn't, why is it such a stretch, such a "violat[ion of] the central game philosophy" of HERO?

Personally I would avoid adding any new flat cost abilities -- they simply do not scale well. Effect driven costs scale up and down the point levels and accommodate modifiers more consistently.

Mind Control seems like the closest parallel to a Object Control power. Types of devices is similar to types of minds. Level of Effect could be vs a base of (Active Points / 5) vs EGO.

For that matter "Breakout" could be based on a roll of (Active Points / 5)- roll (60 AP = 12- roll, 120 AP = 24- roll) with a free attempt at onset just like MC -- this makes very complex / powerful devices much harder to lock on to but not impossible. All the effect driven penalties to breakout and associated behavior of MC could be mapped over pretty cleanly I think.

And so on.

Just sayin....

{cough}

It sounds to me as if it's really nothing more than a form of Mind Control that works on mindless objects. Call it Object Control.

Given that we have Mind Control, that allows you to control another character's mind and make him do things that you want him to and he probably doesn't, why is it such a stretch, such a "violat[ion of] the central game philosophy" of HERO?

I also consider Mind Control to be a poorly designed power. It also exists outside of the central game philosophy of the hero system.

The value of a damaging power scales predictably. The value of a movement power scales predictably. The value of a mental power like Mind Control does not scale predictably.

Ideally, the more powerful the power is, the more it should cost. In some cases, this is not true. Desolidification is the same cost whether you are getting attacked by a .22 pistol or a 155mm howitzer. Likewise, it costs the same to missile deflect a blowgun dart as a 30 mm depleted uranium shell.

As problematic as these non-scaling powers are, they are not as bad as missile reflection, which does not scale with the magnitude of attack and Mind Control. Both of these powers give you essentially the ability to take a power from an opponent's character sheet and direct it somewhere else at your discretion. Missile reflection has the obvious limitation of needing for the opponent to direct a ranged attack at you before it becomes useful. Mind Control has the obvious limitation of breakout rolls, mental defense and overcoming psychological limitations.

When you buy an EB, the GM knows exactly what it can do. When you buy missile reflection, the GM has to go through the writeups of all potential combatants to figure out what it can do. When you buy mind control, the GM has to go through all the writeups of potential combatants and check their psych lims and histories, EGO stats and mental defenses (and maybe vulnerabilities) to figure out what it can do.

So, no, I wouldn't consider mind control to be particularly true to the core philosophy of the hero system. Too hand wavy.

I'm not sure I agree: the Images power allows you to make it look like a light has changed which, based on context, could have very different results (for that matter it could create an image of the Commander in Chief ordering a nuclear strike).

There aer three ways to do this sort of thing, IMO:

1. a suite of existing powers

2. a new ability based on how many people would be needed to operate the device

3. a new/modified ability based around mind control and working against active points/5

or

4. something else...

1. seems a bit clunky - if I want to drive a car then I need - what - TK with fine manipulation? Possibly some sort of enhanced sense? If I want to deactivate a burglar alarm I need, perhaps, images, using whatever sense the burglar alarm uses. If I want to get a computer to download files I need - perhaps - an enhanced sense detecting computer data. I'm never going to cover all the bases and I can't just VPP it because enhanced senses are special powers.

2. I can see problems with this approach - it is unbalanced to allow control of an item that is powerful but easy to operate for just a few points. It needs some sort of safeguard (perhaps a more powerful version is needed to control something that is under 'active control' of another user?)

3. My difficulty here is knowing what the target number is: would it be, for instance, more expensive to control a light tank than a heavy tank because the heavy tank is based on more points even though the control interfaces are almost identical? In addition I need to know what active points/5 are (what are the active points of a burglar alarm?) which makes game preparation and execution more difficult.

So, let's turn it round: suggestions - how do you build a power to:

1. Disable a burglar alarm

2. Drive a tank

3. Interrogate a computer

4. Re-programme a computer

5. Open a locked door (electronic or otherwise) without damaging it

6. Change a traffic light

...and if the answer is 'using transform', how do you calculate the target's Body score?

Ah, Images, yet another poorly defined power.

The defense for which is having an absurdly high perception roll.

Based on the published record, an efficiently constructed image power used with any sort of sophistication can completely nullify the majority of CU heroes and villains for well over a turn, barring a spectacularly good roll on the part of the victim.

Not a particularly good basis for a justification for a new power IMO.

Based on the published record, an efficiently constructed image power used with any sort of sophistication can completely nullify the majority of CU heroes and villains for well over a turn, barring a spectacularly good roll on the part of the victim.

So...uh...are there any powers that you don't consider poorly defined?

I agree in large part (although the idea was presented to sort of scale - just not to active points - but to actual complexity of operation).

I would tend to disagree with this statement. A highly complex device may be quite simple for an operator to use. It depends upon the design of the device. It also depends upon what one means by "operate".

A highly complex device like a jet fighter aircraft is quite simple to operate in terms of it's flight control surfaces (just use the joystick), but it's radar and weapons systems are IMO decidedly less simple to operate.

Also, by "device" (or "machine"), just how simple can it be and it can still be controlled? At what point does it stop being a machine and start being an object? I don't want to hear "I use my Mind Control (machines) to make the wheel-and-axle roll up the ramp!". Yet wheel-and-axle and ramp are defined as simple machines.

And what is meant by "control"? Does that allow me to do anything that an operator could do with it? Including push levels & pedals that would normally require external effort (i.e., from someone with a little STR) that cannot mechanically move themselves otherwise? (BTW, this is one of my beefs with the T3 movie. :mad:) Where does Cyber/Mechanical Mind Control stop and Cyber/Mechanical Telekinesis start?

So let's go back to the original post and ask the question: Who needs this?

This conceptual power has a distinct odor of cheese, to me.

I think I smell it too, but unfortunately these types of "powers" have made their way into several pieces of fiction, and thus serve to promote people to ask "how do I build that?".

Sean: I think part of the problem is that the power that you are describing is not a single power. Operating a car IRL is not like operating a computer, in game terms those two actions take completely different Skills, so why would a power cover both of them? If you want to “Interrogate a computer, Re-programme a computer” that can be done with Telepathy and Mind-control with “Machine Class Mind”. Yeah, I know, lots of people have issues with the “Class of Mind” distinctions, but it’s there, and until it changes, there is already an established way to do it. I don’t see how the ability to control a computer can be compared to the ability to drive a tank. One is mostly electronic, one is mostly mechanical. It is simply two separate powers, just as it is two different operations.

Likewise being able to “Open a locked door (electronic or otherwise) without damaging it” would be easiest to do by using the Skill as Power option and buying either Security Systems or Lockpicking as a Power. While you could use a power based on electronics to control or turn off an electric lock I don’t see any logical way to group opening any kind of door in with driving a tank or operating a computer.

I know you are supposed to be able to create any power with the Hero System, it just seems that what you are trying to do is not create a power but a series of powers clumped under one heading for convenience and reduced price.

I do like the idea of a power that allows you to control vehicles that aren’t primarily based on electronics (such as manual transmission cars, etc.) and I don’t think that it is illogical to ask for a power to do that without trying to hobble together something based on TK. I just don’t think that goes in the same category as turning a light on or off, or operating a computer. Perhaps some kind of TK with Fine Manipulation and limits, only to control vehicles? I don’t know, there should be a way to do it out there.

Image uses END each phase you keep it going, you have to buy each sense it affects separately, and are limited to the range/AoE you buy for it. Mental Illusion only requires END to activate, then it keeps working until they succeed in a breakout roll. It automatically covers all senses including touch, can actually cause STUN and even BODY Damage if you are willing to pay the extra END for that effect, and at it’s weakest level of success can make friends look like enemies and can make non-dangerous items appear or disappear. Frankly I think I’d prefer MI, even if getting a mass hallucination going is harder.

that sort of dovetails into another point I've been meaning to bring up.

Using mind control as a basis for a new power is a bad idea IMO.

Mental powers, especially mind control, mental illusions and telepathy are essentially mini VPPs unto themselves.

Isn't this control power just a way of saying I want a VPP I can put in my multipower?

If this wasn't addressing devices specifically and was instead going after say mutant abilities, wouldn't the knee-jerk reaction be: Buy a VPP?

Mental powers, as listed above, are the most vaguely defined things in the hero system. Using them as a basis for something is just weakening the structure of the system. OK, maybe they're not as poorly defined as interdimensional movement and all the kludges that use that power as justification for handwaving.

Will you explain this statement? Why do you think they are vaguely defined?

Can give a source for that “published record”? I’m curious, since the more sophisticated an Image is the larger the bonus is for detecting that it is an Image. Maybe I’m just not understanding exactly what you mean, so an example would be nice.

At present' date=' short of transform, or, in a limited way, telekinesis, there is no way to control a non-sentient machine, so I'd argue that an ability to do that would add to the game experience. [/quote']

With all due respect, I think you are trying to re-invent the wheel here. The TK option works just fine:

Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (35 Active Points); only to operate weapons /equiptment /tools (-1)

17 points and call it a day.

I would tend to disagree with this statement. A highly complex device may be quite simple for an operator to use. It depends upon the design of the device. It also depends upon what one means by "operate".

A highly complex device like a jet fighter aircraft is quite simple to operate in terms of it's flight control surfaces (just use the joystick), but it's radar and weapons systems are IMO decidedly less simple to operate.

Also, by "device" (or "machine"), just how simple can it be and it can still be controlled? At what point does it stop being a machine and start being an object? I don't want to hear "I use my Mind Control (machines) to make the wheel-and-axle roll up the ramp!". Yet wheel-and-axle and ramp are defined as simple machines.

And what is meant by "control"? Does that allow me to do anything that an operator could do with it? Including push levels & pedals that would normally require external effort (i.e., from someone with a little STR) that cannot mechanically move themselves otherwise? (BTW, this is one of my beefs with the T3 movie. :mad:) Where does Cyber/Mechanical Mind Control stop and Cyber/Mechanical Telekinesis start?

I think I smell it too, but unfortunately these types of "powers" have made their way into several pieces of fiction, and thus serve to promote people to ask "how do I build that?".

You're right, of course, I'm trying to unify the uninifiable...but...

First off, if a simple (in terms of simple user interface, no matter how complex the machine might be) machine can be operated be a simple push of a button, then a specialised version of a 2 STR TK would do the trick. Now that is CHEAP to build, but not necessarily simple to build. A machine that is easy to operate should be easy to control.

Second, although I'm not entirely decided, machines should probably be able to do what they are able to do, so a wheel and axle machine, which cannot roll by itself, probably shouldn't roll by itself...however...15 points in TK would allow you to move around an object that a normal person can move around, so maybe that is not a bad place to start, allowing a certain amount of 'superuse'.

Third, a lot of machines cannot be operated by TK - take the traffic light example - OK, you might be able to use TK to rip out the wires and re-connect them, but that's invasive and damaging to the machine - and if we switch examples to 'computer screen' (with no obvious user input device) then I don't care if you have bought 'fine manipulation' - it doesn't allow you to affect transistors.

So...where does this get us?

1. If...IF...we need this power it ought to have a minimum cost if 15 points, which is 10 STR TK.

2. In order to, for instance, open a locked door, you would normally need either a transform or at least the appropriate skill. So we would need appropriate skills...lockpick, systems operations, mechanics, electronics, something I have not thought of*...that's another 15 points.

3. We ought to have some sort of enhanced sense to put us int he place of the machine so that we can operate it with out TK. Lordy. 5 points detect, sense, ranged...what...12 points?

4. All of this works on a machine, and only on a machine, so, a limitation...-1? -1/2?

So, TK+Skills+Enchanced Senses+Limitation = about 30 points.

OK. One operator = 30 points. Double operators for +5 points.

What you really can't do with your TK or modified mind control or whatever is take control of the USS Ohio. I want a power to do that. Hell it will cost a lot...what is the normal crew compliment of the USS Ohio? 120? So...1.2.4.8.16.32.64.128=35+30(for enhanced senses, TK and whatever else I was on about)=75 points. You can control the USS Ohio. Cool.

NOW, lt us look at problems like focii. Toss. TK is indirect and indirect is stoppend by hardened (Although it should be stoppend by a different advantage that atops indirect), so buy indirect for your focus (or a 10 point adder 'shielded against external control' and you are golden.

*Security systems. Is that a skill? I really shouldn't drink, you know.

I like how you wrote this up, except one thing. A detect, sence, ranged, would let you sense of find the object you want to control, but if you are trying to control a car that is not in your range of or line of sight you could make it go forward, backward, turn ectcetera, but you wouldn't be able to see where it was going. My point, I don't think that it would "put us in the place of the machine", I think you'ld almost have to have some kind of limited clairsentience to acomplish that.

Apotheosis

What I need is some way to make gods into something other than 3000 point superheroes.

Start with the 3000 pt hero.

Power Writeup

Apotheosis

Multiform, to God Form (If you like, you can put a Limitation on this to make it a one-way change)

Define God Form as an AI. Include Life Support Immune to Age.

I'm not sure we can say an "unfocused" AI is automatically immune to Time, but I know it's obviously immune to most damaging attacks (There IS no body, and no BODy) and environmental factors.

High INT and EGO and PRE.

Divine Destiny - "Programming" bought to an absurdly high roll, then limited to "self only." This means the God can use His own powers and abilities at Will - in other words, He is in control of His own destiny, thus the powername. Buy it twice, the second time with a Trigger to go off if the first one fails (i.e. rolls 18) - then an action fails to work only if an 18 is rolled twice, which seems close enough to Divine Infallibility. Or just once and don't buy the roll that high, depending on how fallible you think Gods are.

Or you could just buy Extra Dimensional Movement to a dimension that only the God has access to, and then Clairsentience and other powers that work Extradimensionaly, to meddle in the affairs of mortals from the comfort of Your own transcendent realm. Again, buy it with a Trigger, this time to work any time some joker with "Extradimensional Movement - ANY Dimension" comes along - to make the Character truly Transcendent and unreachable. Buy a second Trigger for those attacks with "Extradimensional - Any Dimension" or even combine the two options so that most attacks don't affect You anyway.

Lucius Alexander

The clever Palindromedary buys Extradimensional Movement, Any Dimension, with a Trigger to follow the Deus Absconditus....now, what do you do with a God once you find Him??